New Savage amp arrived today and WONT turn on..HELP!!!

JW42505JW42505 Posts: 113
edited April 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just received a used savage macht12x, when i turned it on the light went on, but no sound. I checked the tubes (5 of them) and they were all glowing. I made sure they were all secured and plugged in, I checked the speaker and power source and they were all plugged in correctly. I tried cranking the volume and both with and without the guitar cable there is no sounds at all coming out of that speaker. Please tell me what it may be, should i return it? Does it sounds like an easy fix?

thanks for any help
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    Unfortunately I don't know enough about amps to be of any real help here, sorry! But as far as I can tell you have tried pretty much everything you can do without opening the amp and as that is pretty dangerous and potentially lethal if you don't know exactly what you're doing, I would suggest you take it to a tech.
  • PJayhawkPJayhawk Posts: 75
    First, check your fuses (with the power off!!). Sounds like one might be blown.

If that doesn't do the trick, try different cables, guitars, etc... Might even try plugging in a different cab with a different speaker cable. Many times it just ends up being something else in the signal path that's bad.

If that doesn't work, take it to a tech for a tune-up. Probably not a bad idea for any "new to you" used tube amp.

Good luck! :)
    www.nos-tone.com

7/3/98 - Kansas City, 8/18/00 - Indianapolis, 10/12/00 - Kansas City
    4/22/03 - St. Louis, 6/22/03 - Indianapolis, 5/3/10 - KC, 5/4/10 - St. Louis, 5/7/10 - Indy
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I'm a drummer, so the last person to ask... but I have a decent tube Marshall, and I believe other TUBE amps have 2 power buttons. One is to turn on the amp (to warm up) which is the one with the light. And then there's a second button (black?) next to it which you put in the on position after the amp has had a minute to warm up.

If yours is a tube, I'd bet there are 2 power switches which both need to be on the "on" position to work.

This is just what I know from my tube Marshall.

Edit: Is this yours?
    http://www.gbase.com/files/store_images ... r50_so.jpg

I assume the upper-right toggle switch says "standby" on the right of the button. If so, have you had that switch in both positions, while the amp is on?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I'm a drummer, so the last person to ask... but I have a decent tube Marshall, and I believe other TUBE amps have 2 power buttons. One is to turn on the amp (to warm up) which is the one with the light. And then there's a second button (black?) next to it which you put in the on position after the amp has had a minute to warm up.

If yours is a tube, I'd bet there are 2 power switches which both need to be on the "on" position to work.

This is just what I know from my tube Marshall.

For your future reference, not all tube amps have "standby".
  • JW42505JW42505 Posts: 113
    there is only a toggle that reduces the power by 50%, no stand by on savage amps..thanks though
  • i would have suggested checking for a standby as well. i have many tube amps from crappy, to vintage, to boutique and the only one that does not have a standby is a shitty crate stealth that is about 16 years old..

i would troubleshoot by starting with the basics,
    1. guitar volume up
    2. plug into each input and try it
    3. make sure head is plugged in to the cabinet appropriately
    4. make sure all cables are good,
    5. just plug straight into amp, no pedals or anything between guitar and amp
    6. if there is a master volume turn that up, not just the preamp volume
    7. if none of this produces any sound at all call a tech. a bad tube or tube socket usually emits at least SOME sound so it is probably not that...

8. i would call the guy i bought it from and politely ask him "WTF, man?"...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    the guys from savage hooked me up and got it working...sounds amazing!
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    I'm interested to know what was wrong?
    it was a blown tube and a blown fuse...
  • JW42505 wrote:
    it was a blown tube and a blown fuse...
    good news! now you are rockin'!
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."