Earthquakes becoming more common...

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Just read a report that one struck in Afghanistan.
What are we up to this year?
Adelaide had a minor Earthquake the other night.
Scary stuff.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    it's because God is shit at designing planets.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    dunkman wrote:
    it's because God is shit at designing planets.

I hope Earth came with a warranty.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    that warranty wouldn't be worth all the trees we've chopped down to make the paper it's written on. ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    that warranty wouldn't be worth all the trees we've chopped down to make the paper it's written on. ;)

Very good point, we've well and truly voided the warranty!
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids manufacturers warranty.
  • These replies are hilarious. Really, and with allot of truth behind them. But seriously The recent big quakes in Indonesia, the one that caused the tsunami, and the one in Chile were so very large that they are actually felt by the earth all around the globe, and kind of set off the delicately balanced tectonic plates that are stacked up against each other out of kilter, off balance, and so new quakes are set off as mother earth settles herself down and tries to find a new equilibrium. If you think about it the absolutely staggering amount of water melting at the poles and washing into the ocean are themselves redistributing the weight load and therefore the delicate balance of the tectonic plates, causing earthquakes when tolerances are exceeded in one place or another. Geologists have said both those quakes caused the earth to ring like a bell, and that our orbit and spin were slightly affected. That is a big f*cking deal and we still are melting that water at a huge rate, so expect more not less earthquakes. Tectonic plates are what gave us continents, mountains, oceans, the currents that warm the northern Atlantic. Earth would consist of one big continent and a big ocean without them, currents, weather, and lifeforms, maybe very different from what we have today. Maybe the whole thing would have blown without a way to let off the high internal heat and pressure or conversley maybe earth would have died as the crust may have smothered out her internal flames.
    If you want to follow these events closer sign up for notifications at https://sslearthquake.usgs.gov/ens/ or see events at http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/ also the USGS has events resulting in big waves or tsunamis in Hawaii that I imagine many surfers follow. All these notifications can be customized as to magnitude and location.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the chilean earthquake shifted time. how cool is that??
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

not that cool.. i watched a movie with a guy who was in a Delorean sports car and he had a flux capacitor or something and this white haired guy did something with a clock tower and a cable andhe went back in time... then that made things messy so then he had to go to the future and sort things out... anyway, to cut a long story short... that young guy now has Parkinsons disease... because of all his time traveling no doubt.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    dunkman wrote:

not that cool.. i watched a movie with a guy who was in a Delorean sports car and he had a flux capacitor or something and this white haired guy did something with a clock tower and a cable andhe went back in time... then that made things messy so then he had to go to the future and sort things out... anyway, to cut a long story short... that young guy now has Parkinsons disease... because of all his time traveling no doubt.

i guess the moral of that story is not to attempt to sell plutonium to libyans.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Maybe they weren't fucking around about 2012. The closer we get, the more the galaxy aligns and pulls on the earth..

But most likely this is all normal.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    We just had one last Thursday night in Randolph, UT that was a 4.9

It's getting more and more frightening to be living here. I'm afraid this will be set off in my time living here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasatch_Fault
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • tacettacet Posts: 323
    'Many women who do not dress modestly ... lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which (consequently) increases earthquakes," Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi was quoted as saying by Iranian media.

Women - can't live with them and they go causing earthquakes if we can't live without them.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    well we all know what Jesse Ventura would say
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I don't think we can dismiss the correlation with the obesity epidemic! ;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    lot of shit happens over a long period of time. the question is, is our time up?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Well, now we know why... Thanks to all those Iranian whores who do promiscuous things like show too much hair....

Iranian cleric: Promiscuous women cause quakes
    By SCHEHEREZADE FARAMARZI, Associated Press Writer Scheherezade Faramarzi, Associated Press Writer 2 hrs 9 mins ago

BEIRUT – A senior Iranian cleric says women who wear immodest clothing and behave promiscuously are to blame for earthquakes.

Iran is one of the world's most earthquake-prone countries, and the cleric's unusual explanation for why the earth shakes follows a prediction by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad that a quake is certain to hit Tehran and that many of its 12 million inhabitants should relocate.

"Many women who do not dress modestly ... lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which (consequently) increases earthquakes," Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi was quoted as saying by Iranian media. Sedighi is Tehran's acting Friday prayer leader.

Women in the Islamic Republic are required by law to cover from head to toe, but many, especially the young, ignore some of the more strict codes and wear tight coats and scarves pulled back that show much of the hair.

"What can we do to avoid being buried under the rubble?" Sedighi asked during a prayer sermon Friday. "There is no other solution but to take refuge in religion and to adapt our lives to Islam's moral codes."

Seismologists have warned for at least two decades that it is likely the sprawling capital will be struck by a catastrophic quake in the near future.

Some experts have even suggested Iran should move its capital to a less seismically active location. Tehran straddles scores of fault lines, including one more than 50 miles (80 kilometers) long, though it has not suffered a major quake since 1830.

In 2003, a powerful earthquake hit the southern city of Bam, killing 31,000 people — about a quarter of that city's population — and destroying its ancient mud-built citadel.

"A divine authority told me to tell the people to make a general repentance. Why? Because calamities threaten us," Sedighi said.

Referring to the violence that followed last June's disputed presidential election, he said, "The political earthquake that occurred was a reaction to some of the actions (that took place). And now, if a natural earthquake hits Tehran, no one will be able to confront such a calamity but God's power, only God's power. ... So let's not disappoint God."

The Iranian government and its security forces have been locked in a bloody battle with a large opposition movement that accuses Ahmadinejad of winning last year's vote by fraud.

Ahmadinejad made his quake prediction two weeks ago but said he could not give an exact date. He acknowledged that he could not order all of Tehran's 12 million people to evacuate. "But provisions have to be made. ... At least 5 million should leave Tehran so it is less crowded," the president said.

Minister of Welfare and Social Security Sadeq Mahsooli said prayers and pleas for forgiveness were the best "formulas to repel earthquakes."

"We cannot invent a system that prevents earthquakes, but God has created this system and that is to avoid sins, to pray, to seek forgiveness, pay alms and self-sacrifice," Mahsooli said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100419/ap_ ... FuY2xlcmk-
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Well, now we know why... Thanks to all those Iranian whores who do promiscuous things like show too much hair....

By SCHEHEREZADE FARAMARZI, Associated Press Writer Scheherezade Faramarzi, Associated Press Writer 2 hrs 9 mins ago

BEIRUT – A senior Iranian cleric says women who wear immodest clothing and behave promiscuously are to blame for earthquakes.

Iran is one of the world's most earthquake-prone countries, and the cleric's unusual explanation for why the earth shakes follows a prediction by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad that a quake is certain to hit Tehran and that many of its 12 million inhabitants should relocate.

"Many women who do not dress modestly ... lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which (consequently) increases earthquakes," Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi was quoted as saying by Iranian media. Sedighi is Tehran's acting Friday prayer leader.

Women in the Islamic Republic are required by law to cover from head to toe, but many, especially the young, ignore some of the more strict codes and wear tight coats and scarves pulled back that show much of the hair.

"What can we do to avoid being buried under the rubble?" Sedighi asked during a prayer sermon Friday. "There is no other solution but to take refuge in religion and to adapt our lives to Islam's moral codes."

Seismologists have warned for at least two decades that it is likely the sprawling capital will be struck by a catastrophic quake in the near future.

Some experts have even suggested Iran should move its capital to a less seismically active location. Tehran straddles scores of fault lines, including one more than 50 miles (80 kilometers) long, though it has not suffered a major quake since 1830.

In 2003, a powerful earthquake hit the southern city of Bam, killing 31,000 people — about a quarter of that city's population — and destroying its ancient mud-built citadel.

"A divine authority told me to tell the people to make a general repentance. Why? Because calamities threaten us," Sedighi said.

Referring to the violence that followed last June's disputed presidential election, he said, "The political earthquake that occurred was a reaction to some of the actions (that took place). And now, if a natural earthquake hits Tehran, no one will be able to confront such a calamity but God's power, only God's power. ... So let's not disappoint God."

The Iranian government and its security forces have been locked in a bloody battle with a large opposition movement that accuses Ahmadinejad of winning last year's vote by fraud.

Ahmadinejad made his quake prediction two weeks ago but said he could not give an exact date. He acknowledged that he could not order all of Tehran's 12 million people to evacuate. "But provisions have to be made. ... At least 5 million should leave Tehran so it is less crowded," the president said.

Minister of Welfare and Social Security Sadeq Mahsooli said prayers and pleas for forgiveness were the best "formulas to repel earthquakes."

"We cannot invent a system that prevents earthquakes, but God has created this system and that is to avoid sins, to pray, to seek forgiveness, pay alms and self-sacrifice," Mahsooli said.

We need to discover another Earth-like planet already, and only allow inteligent people to move there.. The religions can be left behind here to fight over how the Earth is punishing them for their sins.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157

what about the men over there who show everyone their balls?
    what does that cause a fucking tornado or blizzard?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    When an earthquake hits DC and The President has to leave then I'll start to worry like in that flick....2012. Until then there's no need to fret these occurrences.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

F*** it, let's all move to Mars.
    Looking forward to seeing Pearl Jam play at Victoria Crater, Cape Verde in 2020!
    Looking forward to seeing Pearl Jam play at Victoria Crater, Cape Verde in 2020!

:o

You just blew my mind. That would be the epitomy of epic.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

sorry, that show is TBA -- ten club
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    its the end of the world...slowly and steadily
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    norm wrote:

sorry, that show is TBA -- ten club

Tickets will go on sale two days after the announcement. Better have your travel plans ready to go. 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

And to top it off the set would have to be very Binaural rich!
    dcfaithful wrote:

And to top it off the set would have to be very Binaural rich!

You're easily one of the smartest PJ fans I've ever encountered. 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    ;)
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    SS25454 wrote:
    'Many women who do not dress modestly ... lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which (consequently) increases earthquakes," Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi was quoted as saying by Iranian media.

Women - can't live with them and they go causing earthquakes if we can't live without them.

it's America's fault, particularly their American thighs. because of them, the walls were shaking, the earth was quaking, and then white people fucked in their trailer parks and shook them all night long. neverending cycle, really.
    Quake hits Western Australia.
    Wow.
  • If you fuck around with something too much, eventually it's gonna break. We broke the world.

We should all pack up and head to Marklar. :lol:
    It's gonna be a glorious day...