Williamsburg Brooklyn

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone a resident, as a indie kid myself, its one of those places i wish i lived in.

they got a shout out on colbert, as i guess the hipsters in williamsburg have a record low rate of 36 percent in terms of returning their census fors
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I live around enough pretentious hipsters in res, the idea of being surrounded by them is frightening!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5mLuPJ0S8Q
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • iamsam_pjiamsam_pj Posts: 300
    I visited last summer...was a lot of fun! My friends and I went mostly to go to turkeys nest tavern so that we could drink out of to go cups and then run across the street to watch the drunken kickball league :). My friends aren't as into the music scene as I am, so drunken adventures were the only way to get them across the bridge! We did make friends with a guy who was working with thievery corporation for his new album. Such creative energy there...it was awesome.
    Awesome!

I just don't get how someone can identify themselves as a hipster or an indie kid? Doesn't it go against what it stands for. It's kind of like saying you're an alternative band if you're on a major label.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Awesome!

I just don't get how someone can identify themselves as a hipster or an indie kid? Doesn't it go against what it stands for. It's kind of like saying you're an alternative band if you're on a major label.

true, but i read pitchfork religiously, like american apparel and urban outfitters, listen to grizzly bear, bon iver, animal collective and radiohead, wear skinny jeans, and think garden state is my favorite movie

i may be a walking stereotype, or cliche, but what else would my genre of preference be? it aint top 40 pop.
    edited April 2010
    I'm not trying to criticize, I'm just trying to understand the mindset... Basically, are 'indie kids' or hipsters not conforming by being a walking stereotype? Isn't that not conforming by conforming to something else?

Although, I like the bands you listed and sometimes shop at those stores, but I like much much more!
    Post edited by keeponrockin on
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    I don't mean this in a negative way, but it seems to me that hipsters are all about conforming and are open to conforming, just not with the entire world.

The majority of them seem to come across as lost and they are open to finding their little niche of where they belong in the world. And when they find it, they cling to it.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    I don't mean this in a negative way, but it seems to me that hipsters are all about conforming and are open to conforming, just not with the entire world.

The majority of them seem to come across as lost and they are open to finding their little niche of where they belong in the world. And when they find it, they cling to it.

This is awesome.
  • I don't mean this in a negative way, but it seems to me that hipsters are all about conforming and are open to conforming, just not with the entire world.

thats actually accurate for me personally, i cant speak for millions of others though. for me, i found indie rock, when i was going through tumultuous personal problems, and the music helped comfort me. When you are going through an existential crisis, what better mentors to have than modest mouse, the shins or nick drake. i am lost, and am open to finding my niche in the world, and when i latched onto indie rock in 2006, i never let go, and havent yet. i do cling to it. Its a sense of belonging. I dont relate to the mainstream culture, and am not one of the herd. I have never been and never will be one of "them". But with indie rock, and the whole hipster culture, i get a sense of community, of belonging. How cool is it to be a part of a music scene, to feel a part of something? And how special is it to have bands releasing albums that speak to you? I dont want to move on from this scene, from the music. Its been with me through my changes and its guided and aided me.

So mookey, while i honestly, personally hate whenever you post on one of my threads, your analysis was actually rather intelligent this time
    I think the indie thing is like punk. It used to be different, but now you just have genius chain stores making shit loads of money off it.

For me, the indie scene might not be the main herd, but it is definitely a herd.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    I think the indie thing is like punk. It used to be different, but now you just have genius chain stores making shit loads of money off it.

For me, the indie scene might not be the main herd, but it is definitely a herd.
    please don't compare indie to punk. Punk didn't sell out major labels went looking for the new "it" thing and they found that in bands like greend day and other shitty pop punk bands. Do you honestly think 5 years from now a band like grizzly bear or wilco will still be popular. not disrespecting those bands or other indie bands but to me they don't have that staying power to keep the scene alive.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977

This is awesome.

it's simply a label. 'indie'...like 'grunge' was in the 90s....'alternative' in the 80s.....etc. just a label to slap on a niche within a particular generation and a genre of music. funny too, i've been in williamsburg a few times, didn't seem any more *indie* to me than any other area of NYC, but i guess perhaps i wasn't looking. funny too, i saw death cab in williamsburg a couple years ago and man, i LOVE modest mouse a lot - tho there newest album isn't really grabbing me like the others...the shins are quite good.....but i'd never think of myself as 'indie'.....so yea, self-professed labels, may not be 'mainstream' but really none too unique either. hell, once some form as a group and give themselves a label, kinda loses the real meaning of being outside the norm.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• metsfan wrote:

please don't compare indie to punk. Punk didn't sell out major labels went looking for the new "it" thing and they found that in bands like greend day and other shitty pop punk bands. Do you honestly think 5 years from now a band like grizzly bear or wilco will still be popular. not disrespecting those bands or other indie bands but to me they don't have that staying power to keep the scene alive.

thats ridiculous. wilco has been big in the indie scene since the start, and got really noticed for yhf, released in 2001 or 2002. thats a hell of a long time, almost a decade they have been a big deal now. and the modern indie scene, got big, who knows when. its hard to say. 2003, may be the easiest year to say, as its when modest mouse and death cab and postal service got big. So 2003 to now 2010, again thats a long time. grunge lasted 4 years. 3 years basically, september of 1991 to april of 1994. And of the leading bands, grizzly bear, animal collective, the shins, modest mouse, death cab, and so on, few if any are using heroin, or meth or any other thing like that. drugs seems to be a non issue in the indie scene. and 2010 seems as indie based as any year, this is a huge month for indie right now. i dont get the whole "indie is dead" mentality. pitchfork still is popular.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Speaking of The Shins, this Broken Bells album is fucking sweet.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    I hate hipsters more than Buster Douglas ;) ..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'