Traveling to Hawaii

purple_chick79purple_chick79 Posts: 570
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Just wondering what's the best route to go for this. There are 6 people going.....3 adults and 3 kids. I'm not looking to go until next summer. Just wondering if anyone from the 48 states has traveled there and what the best way to do it is. What I mean is, rent a house? Or try to get a hotel, flight, car deal?
Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

"do gay midgets come out of the cupboard"
~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited April 2010
    Just wondering what's the best route to go for this. There are 6 people going.....3 adults and 3 kids. I'm not looking to go until next summer. Just wondering if anyone from the 48 states has traveled there and what the best way to do it is. What I mean is, rent a house? Or try to get a hotel, flight, car deal?

went there on my honeymoon, best trip I've ever been on. amazing place.

Assuming you're going from boston, go for at least 2 weeks. it takes so long to get there it's not worth going for shorter than that. also make sure you rent cars on the islands you plan to visit

Buy the blue books (they're easy to find...just ask for the blue tourist books at any book store) that give local restaurants/sites to see. we hit maui (hyatt) and kaui'i (marriott beach club) and those books were great. we hit a lot of local spots we wouldn't have even thought about walking into and the food was great (and more economical than the resorts)

we did a doorless helicopter ride and kayak tour in kaui'i...both were incredible. The beach house was a nice restaurant...great dinner with a view of the ocean.

maui has lots of touristy stuff to do...we hit the Feast at Leilei (spelling?), which was a luau. cost a little more money than other luaus, but it was worth it. got a private table with server, open bar, and food/entertainment from 4 different polynesian islands. I'd highly recommend that...most other luaus have buffet style serving and food that you can get at any summer party. also hit momma's fish house on our way back from Road to Hanna. Best meal we had there. expensive, but worth every penny.

hope this helps...hawaii is unbelievable. PM me with any details...I'd highly recommend the Feast at Lei Lei and buying the blue travel books
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    it'll be sunny

that's all i have for ya.

;)
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Renting a car is a must.

Be sure to take a snorkeling trip, especially if you've never snorkeled in a tropical place. I was just there in Feb for my honeymoon and we did a snorkel/whale watching boat trip which was awesome. (whale season is feb-march).

I was only on Maui. Alot of great things to do. I hear people suggest going to more than 1 luau, but one was enough for us. We frequented the town of Lahaina which has a bunch of small shops and touristy stuff. (theres a vintage music art type of place there where you can drop around 10 grand on a signed guitar by Pearl Jam!!) Also took surf lessons.

We were on the island for 7 days and our approach was to plan a major activity every other day and relax on the beach/resort the others. That worked out great for us so we werent rushing around every day. So i'd definately suggest leaving enough time to just relax and enjoy your amazing surroundings instead of trying to cram as many activities as possible in. One day we just took a drive to take in the beauty of the island and that is one of my fave memories. Driving around Hawaii in a convertable listening to the Into the Wild soundtrack while its 85 and sunny in February!!!!!!!

Hawaii is truly a magical place. You really cant go wrong with what you decide to do. I would say the flight/hotel/rental car package is for sure the way to go.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I've been only once, to Maui. It was just me and one friend, and we stayed at another friend's house and rented a car. You HAVE to rent a car. In addition to what others have said, I would recommend taking the road to Hana (this is a whole day excursion, but well worth it) and taking a snorkel cruise to Molokini (we also got to see whales and sea turtles on our way back, in late December). We never woke up early enough to take the tour up Haleakala, but I decided to just drive up by myself one afternoon and it was magnificent.

Regarding where to stay, my sister goes every year with her in-laws, so there are 5 adults. They really know what they're doing and they always get a condo. I think you can find a condo that's at least as cheap as a hotel, so I'd say that's the best way to go.

Have fun! (You will - no doubt.) :D
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    what about hawaiian weed?
    do they smoke ditch weed in hawaii?
    is it any good?
    what's it cost?
    are surfer stoned?
    is it safe to surf & and smoke while floating on your board balls?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • We are planning on going to Maui only. We are also planning on going in the summer as my mother works in the school system.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

"do gay midgets come out of the cupboard"
    ~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    We are planning on going to Maui only. We are also planning on going in the summer as my mother works in the school system.

Yea! Maui's awesome! Do you know what town you'll stay in?
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,697
    chadwick wrote:
    what about hawaiian weed?
    do they smoke ditch weed in hawaii?
    is it any good?
    what's it cost?
    are surfer stoned?
    is it safe to surf & and smoke while floating on your board balls?
    :lol::lol: I like how your trying t get everything covered. But great idea, tihnk it would be amazing smoking a big fattie and watching the Sun come up or down 8-)
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • angiebabyazangiebabyaz Posts: 148
    We stayed in Kihei for a week in '08. Loved it! With that many people you should rent a condo. Try vrbo.com.
    We are planning our return trip for 10/2010 and I can't wait! We really didn't plan anything. We just got up each day and decided what to do. Paradise :)
    Phoenix 1992
    San Francisco OSL 2009
    New York City MSG 1&2 2010
    EV Santa Barbara 2011
    Alpine Valley 2011
    Philadelphia, Missoula 2012
    EV Las Vegas 1 & 2, Phoenix 2012
    Chicago, Brooklyn, Dallas, OKC, Phoenix, Seattle 2013
    Memphis, Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver, Bridge School 2014
    Porto Alegre, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro 2015
    Jazz Fest, MSG II, RIDE Fest, Fenway, Wrigley, Ohana 2016