New Zealand advice?

BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Just found out I was accepted to study abroad in New Zealand next semester. I'll be studying music at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch. I've been wanting to go for years...NZ looks like a BEAUTIFUL country. I have no idea what to expect though so I thought I'd see if there's any PJ fans from NZ with advice on what to see or do. I'll be there from July-November. It's a bit unfortunate to leave the US in mid summer for NZ's winter, but that's ok hah. Maybe I can at least find some good snowboarding before it warms up.

I'd like to see as much of the South Island as possible-hiking, camping, and scenic views are a definite priority. What's the easiest/cheapest way to travel? I'm also curious about Christchurch's music scene if anyone has any info. I'd love to get a chance to play while I'm there. Any other general info would be great too!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Not too familiar with New Zealand, but if I had the choice, I would definitely move there!

I was actually looking at job listings there right after I graduated college.. I was tempted.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    My wife and I were there in December. We traveled through both the North and South islands in a campervan but both agreed the south island was the highlight. We visited Kaikoura where we swam with dolphins. I loved this place and was one of my favorites. Abel Tasmin National Park shouldn't be missed, get a water taxi and walk some of the coastal path. Visit the Fox and Franz Josef glaciers on the west coast. We did a helicopter flight which was stunning. Queenstown is a great town with plenty to do and see and about 100 miles from Te Anau, another picturesque place that is ideal to visit Milford Sound which is awesome. We also visited Lake Tekapo and the water is a milky blue caused by microscopic glacial rock that reflects the light.

New Zealand is a staggeringly beautiful country with fantastic scenery wherever you go. We didn't see Christchurch so can't help you there. getting around you need to get some transport so hiring is a good option. The only downside we found was NZ can be expensive so you need to shop around.

The North island is worth visiting, we enjoyed Auckland and travelled up through Northland to the bay of Islands and back down the west coast. Rotorua was grea but smelly (Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Gardens was fantastic) before we headed to Taupo and the Tongariro National Park. One of the volcanoes here was Mount Doom in LOTR.

Newzealand.com is a good website for loads of info re places of interest and accommodation.

Enjoy. I'm jealous.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    NZ to Australia is what Canada is to the USA.
    The much prettier little brother.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    Congratulations! Lucky you! We were there in August/September 2005. It was fantastic. We toured the South Island in a campervan for two and half weeks. It's the only other place in the world that i would consider emigrating to. We had a very relaxed schedule with no firm plans other than to meet up with a friend for a few days in Wanaka. So we basically stopped when we felt like it and if we really liked a place we stayed longer :) I'm sure, in fact I know, that there were a lot of things that we missed; so I recommend doing some research before you go and make every effort to visit the places that appeal. Definitely catch an All Blacks game

We enjoyed every place we stayed, but a definite highlight was Te Anau and Milford Sound. Christchurch was lovely, but we didn't do a great deal there. I'm sure some other stuff will come to mind, so I'll get back to you if I think of some other things that you "must" do.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • MK1980MK1980 Posts: 291
    I am a half Kiwi/half brit living in the uk, but used to live in NZ, christchurch is a lovely uni town, much like dunedin (although Cchurch is flat, whereas dunedin has the steepest street in NZ)
    As for touring south isand, if you're into wine the north of that island has some great vineyards, for winter sports queenstown is more often than not the tourist's choice with the remarkables & lake wakitipu, there is also the queenstown winter festival from june 25th-July 4th. Invercargill has some great beachs although it can get cold at the time of year you are going. if you like mountain / rock climbing there are the southern alps, which extend pretty much all the way down the s island, you wil be able to see them from christchurch, and then there's always rugby to watch... :D
    How I choose to feel is how I am...I will not lose my faith, It's an inside job today.
    Manchester Aug 17th 2009
    Hyde Park June 25th 2010
    Manchester June 20th & 21st 2012
    Leeds July 14th 2014
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    We had a very relaxed schedule with no firm plans other than to meet up with a friend for a few days in Wanaka.
    I remember Wanaka, it was a beautiful place but cloudy and very windy. So windy it took our table over outside a cafe. We were on our way to Queenstown and I think the Fox glacier to Queenstown drive was the most stunning we drove. The Haast pass, Lake Wanaka, the gorge (can't remember it's name) not far from Queenstown, wonderful.