Ever wonder what Mike could do with a PRS McCarty?

PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
edited April 2010 in The Porch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gE3s035owk

He should use one live once in awhile. I love the tone on this guitar.

front.jpg
~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    The 'Tone', is in the hands, or in Stone's case, it's in his name.
  • billyruffbillyruff Posts: 534
    REALLY!!! you want him to sound like nicklelcrap?

Mike sounds awesome as it is ...
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    billyruff wrote:

I hate this fucking place anymore..... ridiculous.
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    billyruff wrote:

Really...
    billyruff wrote:
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    billyruff wrote:

Really...

Yeah ....Really
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    what do u mean by tone?im not a musician and not familiar
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Way too many Nickleback references/comparisons. Anyways I would love to see Mike use a MotorAve BelAire. These are some sexy guitars. I love the black and silver one Josh Homme uses.

l_b5d60c7caf2644e2a0a92531f03a7f02.jpg

http://www.motorave.com/BelAire%20Gallery.htm
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1

Its your perception of the sound of the music .based on the sound vibrations I think.

It is the overall sound that a guitarist can get out of an instrument using pick ups, amps, pedals, and even the pick. Most importantly though, it is the player themselves. I think PRS guitars overall have a cleaner sound and I have always liked them for bluesy songs.

I love Mikes playing and his wide choice of guitars, I would just like to see him add one of these beauty's to his arsenal.
    Dimitris,

Guitar tone is representative of the sound the Electric Guitar in this case makes through the Amp. So for example, A Fender Telecaster will sound different to a Gibson SG for a multitude of reasons. A Telecaster has one single pick-up and one humbucker pick-up while a SG has two Humbuckers an no single coils. So already it will sound different. Guitars are made with different timbers, different lengths, different thickness, different quality material - all resulting in a different sound. Guitarists are after an elusive tone. A sound that make other guitarists wet their pants. You can achieve this through not only the Guitar, but the amplifier you choose, the guitar effects pedals you use, the thickness of your guitar strings, and most importantly the way you strum/pick your guitar. Many great guitarists have their own tone. Like Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page or Jimi Hendrix. A sound they have created themselves through a combination of what I mentioned above. In my opinion, a great guitarist can make almost anything sound good, regardless of what guitar he picks up. The tone is in his hands and the way he attacks the strings : )
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

It is the overall sound that a guitarist can get out of an instrument using pick ups, amps, pedals, and even the pick. Most importantly though, it is the player themselves. I think PRS guitars overall have a cleaner sound and I have always liked them for bluesy songs.

I love Mikes playing and his wide choice of guitars, I would just like to see him add one of these beauty's to his arsenal.

Exactly : )
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Imagine Mike playing this...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bUgfl_1dp_0/S ... guitar.jpg

That would be some crazy shit.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

Easties wrote:
    Dimitris,

Guitar tone is representative of the sound the Electric Guitar in this case makes through the Amp. So for example, A Fender Telecaster will sound different to a Gibson SG for a multitude of reasons. A Telecaster has one single pick-up and one humbucker pick-up while a SG has two Humbuckers an no single coils. So already it will sound different. Guitars are made with different timbers, different lengths, different thickness, different quality material - all resulting in a different sound. Guitarists are after an elusive tone. A sound that make other guitarists wet their pants. You can achieve this through not only the Guitar, but the amplifier you choose, the guitar effects pedals you use, the thickness of your guitar strings, and most importantly the way you strum/pick your guitar. Many great guitarists have their own tone. Like Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page or Jimi Hendrix. A sound they have created themselves through a combination of what I mentioned above. In my opinion, a great guitarist can make almost anything sound good, regardless of what guitar he picks up. The tone is in his hands and the way he attacks the strings : )

ok,i think now i got more infos and thank u both for that..and speaking about guitarist have their own tone.i think Richie Blackmoore has his own..and which pj songs Mike could use PRS guitar?,for exable i see even flow,black,Nais ,he use fender,and really i dont want this sound to change on those songs..but in shows like Benaroya he use a Gibson in Black and Nais..And u think has to do with indoor or outdoor show??
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    I love talking about tone...Its amazing how 2 artists on the same gear can sound so different ..
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Love this guitar! We have one in our studio and I play it all the time. I agree with whomever said it's got a bluesy feel to it. Now for the life of me I don't understand the nickelback comment.... No one type of guitar would make mccready sound like anyone...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
    Wow seriously I guess the sarcasm was lost in translation .I only busted out the Nicckelback comment as their lead singer uses one ...PRS make great sounding guitars used buy some great guitarists.Santana for 1
    Any thing Mike plays sound awesome ,and I like the variety of guitars he plays .
    Have a happy friday all...
  • LukinzLukinz Posts: 386
    There's no comparison to the sound you can get out of a PRS to an old LP or Strat like Mike plays. PRS are definitely decent guitars, but they're nowhere near as good sounding as strats and LP's from the 50s.
    2003: Madison Square Garden 1
    2006: East Rutherford 1, East Rutherford 2
    2008: Madison Square Garden 2
    2010: Newark
    2013: Brooklyn 2 GA
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2010
    ok,i think now i got more infos and thank u both for that..and speaking about guitarist have their own tone.i think Richie Blackmoore has his own..and which pj songs Mike could use PRS guitar?,for exable i see even flow,black,Nais ,he use fender,and really i dont want this sound to change on those songs..but in shows like Benaroya he use a Gibson in Black and Nais..And u think has to do with indoor or outdoor show??

D, thats because acoustics are different too. Not only does tone change the sound that a guitar gives, but acoustics of a room, and the tone of the amp also have a great deal to do with the type of sound a guitar gives off. Benny Hall was built with really high ceiling with accoustics in mind (maybe not electric music, but atleast music was the main idea). Where as an arena with high ceilings like The Spectrum, Wachovia Center, Boston Garden, etc were probably not built with sound in mind. Rather they were built with high ceilings to house a lot of people. (MSG ceiling is unique though, that I'm almost 100 percent sure was built with holding concerts in mind). Well regaurdless, music is going to sound different every where you go because of accoustics. That is the other reason why it sounds diff on Benny Hall vs. Live at the Garden.

And it being inside and outside changes the sound 100%. How much does much sound better in an arena than it does outside. When outside the sound has nothing to bounce off or reverberate off of. It just keeps traveling into space and spreading out wider and wider. Whilst, inside it bounces off of walls and stays in a smaller space
    Post edited by Grandmas Jam on
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 781
    billyruff wrote:

REALLY!!!!! you think Carlos Santana sounds like nicklecrap?

I was thinking NAIS & Yellowledbetter.
    billyruff wrote:

REALLY!!!!! you think Carlos Santana sounds like nicklecrap?

finally someone who gets the SNL reference.Thanks.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    edited April 2010
    Great guitars, but not particularly my bag. If I were to get one, it would probably be a singlecut. One thing that can't be argued is they make absolutely gorgeous instruments. Davy however switched from Fenders to PRS and hasn't looked back, and he knows his shit. I got to jam with him once, one of the coolest experiences of my life, jamming with one of my favourite guitarists!

As a side note, apparently Paul Reed Smith is a really cool guy as well.
    Post edited by keeponrockin on
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Great guitars, but not particularly my bag. Davy however switched from Fenders to PRS and hasn't looked back, and he knows his shit. I got to jam with him once, one of the coolest experiences of my life, jamming with one of my favourite guitarists!

Davy?
    billyruff wrote:
    Great guitars, but not particularly my bag. Davy however switched from Fenders to PRS and hasn't looked back, and he knows his shit. I got to jam with him once, one of the coolest experiences of my life, jamming with one of my favourite guitarists!

Davy?
    Davy Knowles from Back Door Slam (the guy Mike is jamming with in that video)
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    billyruff wrote:

Davy?
    Davy Knowles from Back Door Slam (the guy Mike is jamming with in that video)

Ahhh thanks .Checked them out on youtube .great groove.

D, thats because acoustics are different too. Not only does tone change the sound that a guitar gives, but acoustics of a room, and the tone of the amp also have a great deal to do with the type of sound a guitar gives off. Benny Hall was built with really high ceiling with accoustics in mind (maybe not electric music, but atleast music was the main idea). Where as an arena with high ceilings like The Spectrum, Wachovia Center, Boston Garden, etc were probably not built with sound in mind. Rather they were built with high ceilings to house a lot of people. (MSG ceiling is unique though, that I'm almost 100 percent sure was built with holding concerts in mind). Well regaurdless, music is going to sound different every where you go because of accoustics. That is the other reason why it sounds diff on Benny Hall vs. Live at the Garden
    u think they do that in soundcheck??they play some songs and choose which guitar they play it..in Athens which was a so high celling,he play so many songs with Gibson,go,animal,life wasted,hail hail,corduroy,severed hand,wws,porch,alive..he use fender to given to fly-black-even flow-jeremy,footsteps,.rvm,smile.ylb.and a double one in inside job..
    I think sometimes (as a guitar player myself) it might come down to 'what guitar I'm feeling lately' more than anything to be honest. They're not like U2 where the guitar sound needs to be the same as it is on record.
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    u think they do that in soundcheck??they play some songs and choose which guitar they play it..in Athens which was a so high celling,he play so many songs with Gibson,go,animal,life wasted,hail hail,corduroy,severed hand,wws,porch,alive..he use fender to given to fly-black-even flow-jeremy,footsteps,.rvm,smile.ylb.and a double one in inside job..[/quote]

Absolutely, but only to a certain extent. I cant say for sure cause I don't know what goes through their minds when they sound check. But, Im sure if they are thinking about playing a song and they sound check it, and it sounds like shit they bag it. But Mike uses specific guitars for specific songs because all guitars sound diffferent (think about Old Black, neil youngs guitar, you'll never find another Gibson Gold Top that sounds like that). But back to the acoustics, if the songs sounds bad while sound checking I doubnt its because of the guitar, or they are out of practice. Its either because the accoustics arent right for that song in that specific place or because they need to fix something on their amps. The different use of guitars pretty much sticks to the songs they use them for. You know?
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • forget the PRS, I'd like to see him rock this b*tch out!

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electric ... jc1457.php
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Great find, I loved that vid. Thanks
    Gorge