Grungestock!

comatose_253comatose_253 Posts: 271
edited April 2010 in The Porch
With both Soundgarden and AIC back in action it would be cool to see something like 3 nights at the Gorge Amphitheatre (George, Washington) . . . .

Night 1:

Pearl Jam
Mudhoney
Soundgarden
AIC

Night 2:

AIC
Pearl Jam
Mudhoney
Soundgarden

Night 3:

Mudhoney
Soundgarden
AIC
Pearl Jam

I know it would almost kill Matt Cameron, but it would be worth it. It looks like the DMB already has the best 3 day time slot (9/3 – 9/5).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,409
    I say we replace Alice in Chains for the Melvins or Stone Temple Pilots.

History on Alice N' Chains - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_N%27_Chains . Where it all started. Founding member, Layne Stanley. With out Layne, it is not Alice In Chains. Change the name of the band, please! I will forever know Alice in Chains with member Layne Stanley. This new creation can cover all the tunes they want. In the end, they are no Alice In Chains. You will never see Nirvana come back to replace Kurt or you will never see Mother Love Bone come back to replace Andrew Wood. And you will never see the Band of Gypes come back to replace Jimi Hendrix. I'm pretty sad Jerry is using the name. A friend would of left the band name & music in peace. He was already doing solo stuff. 2 records were released. Why now come back using the AIC name? Cause Layne has passed away? If something happened to Ed, we all know very well there will never be a replacement for Pearl Jam. Nobody on this planet can & the name Pearl Jam will forever be known, as it's main singer/song writer .. Ed Vedder.
  • demetrios wrote:

History on Alice N' Chains - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_N%27_Chains . Where it all started. Founding member, Layne Stanley. With out Layne, it is not Alice In Chains. Change the name of the band, please! I will forever know Alice in Chains with member Layne Stanley. This new creation can cover all the tunes they want. In the end, they are no Alice In Chains. You will never see Nirvana come back to replace Kurt or you will never see Mother Love Bone come back to replace Andrew Wood. And you will never see the Band of Gypes come back to replace Jimi Hendrix. I'm pretty sad Jerry is using the name. A friend would of left the band name & music in peace. He was already doing solo stuff. 2 records were released. Why now come back using the AIC name? Cause Layne has passed away? If something happened to Ed, we all know very well there will never be a replacement for Pearl Jam. Nobody on this planet can & the name Pearl Jam will forever be known, as it's main singer/song writer .. Ed Vedder.

the guys in AIC have spent an ungodly amount of time trying to tell everyone they didn't replace Layne, they are trying to pay tribute to him. Hence the footage during concerts showing him. The several years before they decided to start up again. They are respecting his legacy, not cashing in or whatever. What's in a name? Nothing. If they were called The Monkeybums, but still played all the back AIC catalogue, would it still bother you? I'm guessing not, so what does it matter?

Do you like BGWTB? Then what they call themselves shouldn't matter, really, to you, or anyone. And not that it matters, but they even got the blessing of Layne's family to go on with the name.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    demetrios wrote:

I think Jerry Cantrell is the more important member of AIC. If he died they would def have to change the name....he did most of the writing Im pretty sure. Reguardless I guess I agree on the name cahnge. Maybe Chains Without Laynes? lol
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
    the guys in AIC have spent an ungodly amount of time trying to tell everyone they didn't replace Layne, they are trying to pay tribute to him. Hence the footage during concerts showing him. The several years before they decided to start up again. They are respecting his legacy, not cashing in or whatever. What's in a name? Nothing. If they were called The Monkeybums, but still played all the back AIC catalogue, would it still bother you? I'm guessing not, so what does it matter?

Do you like BGWTB? Then what they call themselves shouldn't matter, really, to you, or anyone. And not that it matters, but they even got the blessing of Layne's family to go on with the name.

Best then they called themselves The Monkeybums. I wouldn't mind it. Play all of Layne's songs. Go nuts. But please keep the name where it belongs. Cause when I hear a tune, or play my records or watch all these bootleg audio & video stuff i've been collecting for years, my Alice in Chains since '89 was Layne Stanley. The hits, the rock, who made them to the top & put that name in the record books was Layne. The image & what made this band.

I guess you wouldn't mind if something happened to Ed, and his family member said, sure, let this other guy sing for Ed with Pearl Jam. Keep the Pearl Jam going. I would throw up. For Jerry, it's all about the money. I'm surprised why he went solo for a few year's, without working with Layne. When Layne was still alive he was writting his own thing, not even carring about Alice in Chains. Layne wasn't even doing anything. hmm ...
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I think Layne StaNley is still in the band so you're cool there. It's Layne Staley that od'd and whom is gettin respect paid.

Musically it's always been Jerry's band, but the more I listen to the new stuff the more responsible I think JC was with the vox.

If Layne's mom is fine with it, shouldn't we all be?
  • ActionJackActionJack Posts: 137
    I think its just not the same... but it always has been and always will be jerrys band so he can do whatever he wants in my opinion. I would still enjoy seeing them

I enjoy skinny-skiing, going to bullfights on acid...

• ActionJackActionJack Posts: 137
    Wow I just realized the above poster wrote almost the exact same thing my bad

I enjoy skinny-skiing, going to bullfights on acid...

• kennethkenneth Posts: 24
    cant we all just get along and agree Grungestock would be the shit!!!!!!!

btw cant forget about the melvins

or creed :lol:

jk
  • unforgivenunforgiven Posts: 378
    Many band have gone on after the lead singer died, the biggest example would prob be ACDC. They are not trying to cash in on layne. They put many years into creating the band aswell.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,926
    demetrios wrote:

Best then they called themselves The Monkeybums. I wouldn't mind it. Play all of Layne's songs. Go nuts. But please keep the name where it belongs. Cause when I hear a tune, or play my records or watch all these bootleg audio & video stuff i've been collecting for years, my Alice in Chains since '89 was Layne Stanley. The hits, the rock, who made them to the top & put that name in the record books was Layne. The image & what made this band.

I guess you wouldn't mind if something happened to Ed, and his family member said, sure, let this other guy sing for Ed with Pearl Jam. Keep the Pearl Jam going. I would throw up. For Jerry, it's all about the money. I'm surprised why he went solo for a few year's, without working with Layne. When Layne was still alive he was writting his own thing, not even carring about Alice in Chains. Layne wasn't even doing anything. hmm ...
    Pretty hard to be in a successful band when your singer prefers to stick a needle in whereever instead of tour. Seem to remember several canceled tours because of this. Jerry was the principle songwriter and was in essence a co-lead singer. Layne def had a presence , but he wasn't the sole member of the band. NOR is Ed. As talented as they are ,it's a full band effort.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Pretty hard to be in a successful band when your singer prefers to stick a needle in whereever instead of tour. Seem to remember several canceled tours because of this. Jerry was the principle songwriter and was in essence a co-lead singer. Layne def had a presence , but he wasn't the sole member of the band. NOR is Ed. As talented as they are ,it's a full band effort.

But you can't replace Ed Vedder. If Ed leaves Pearl Jam, it's no Pearl Jam without Ed Vedder. Period!

But you're correct! A full band effect. You can't dis Layne from the band. That's what I said, when a part of that member passes away, who was also the founding member of that band, Alice in Chains, who really helped bring the sound on tour, sell millions & use that image, and use that type of vocals we all known & loved since '89 when you spin a record of theirs or seen their music videos from the Music Bank Box Set, Layne has alway's been there through thick & thin. Once the band ended, and there wasn't a presence for year's, why resurrect the band that has passed away? Let it rest in peace. I pray Nirvana & Band of Gypes not return from the ashes with a new record & tour with a new singer & guitar player.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited April 2010
    I'd rather grunge just die. Soundgarden and AIC were cool back in the day, but haven't evolved like Pearl Jam. Grunge was a fad.

I wouldn't call Pearl Jam grunge. It just limits them musically.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,935
    kenneth wrote:

I can agree! :thumbup:

((((( goes off to look for Doc Martens )))))
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • say_hisay_hi Posts: 312
    I think I hate grunge music....

:)
    4/30/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06 (Letterman Mini-Concert), 5/5/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    The festival would have to be closed out by a Temple set.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

imalive wrote:
    kenneth wrote:

I can agree! :thumbup:

((((( goes off to look for Doc Martens )))))

There was a site where you can dress up like Kurt Cobain. Purchase all the shirts, pants, socks etc.. Kurt wore and they had it in any size you wanted. Searching google, can't seem to find it. D'oh!
  • demetrios wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

But you can't replace Ed Vedder. If Ed leaves Pearl Jam, it's no Pearl Jam without Ed Vedder. Period!

But you're correct! A full band effect. You can't dis Layne from the band. That's what I said, when a part of that member passes away, who was also the founding member of that band, Alice in Chains, who really helped bring the sound on tour, sell millions & use that image, and use that type of vocals we all known & loved since '89 when you spin a record of theirs or seen their music videos from the Music Bank Box Set, Layne has alway's been there through thick & thin. Once the band ended, and there wasn't a presence for year's, why resurrect the band that has passed away? Let it rest in peace. I pray Nirvana & Band of Gypes not return from the ashes with a new record & tour with a new singer & guitar player.

it's a band NAME. it's only use is so people know who you are talking about when you tell them to listen to them. nothing more.

Yeah, I can see how it might be weird if Pearl Jam continued without Ed, but again, it's a name. I wouldn't have cared if their current name were Mother Love Bone either. Would you?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • I'd rather grunge just die. Soundgarden and AIC were cool back in the day, but haven't evolved like Pearl Jam. Grunge was a fad.

Do you actually believe anyone in these bands would describe their music as grunge?

Where did the term grunge come from . . . the media?

Grungestock = sarcasm
  • It is just rock n roll
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    I'd rather grunge just die. Soundgarden and AIC were cool back in the day, but haven't evolved like Pearl Jam. Grunge was a fad.

Do you actually believe anyone in these bands would describe their music as grunge?

Where did the term grunge come from . . . the media?

Grungestock = sarcasm
    you can thank mark arm for creating the word grunge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge

interesting . . . I didn't know that. I still think the media probably help ruin how mark used it "Pure grunge! Pure noise! Pure shit!"
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    edited April 2010
    interesting . . . I didn't know that. I still think the media probably help ruin how mark used it.
    the media always ruins everything. bout the only thing they are good for.
    Post edited by Gary Carter on
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• I can understand why he wouldn't take credit for it . . .

Arm said years later, "Obviously, I didn't make [grunge] up. I got it from someone else.
  • AlbeAlbe Posts: 22
    Great idea, especially with the SG reunion and PJ's 20th this year, but also don't like the name "Grungestock".

AS for the whole AIC thing, here's my two cents.

You can't win the argument about them changing the name by throwing out the hypothetical situation of Ed leaving PJ. Like I said, it's hypothetical.

Jerry is AIC. Love Layne, but Jerry is the bloodline of the band. Same with Band of Gypsys. That was all Jimi, besides, Billy Cox is the only one left.

You also have to remember what the rest of Alice went through. Here was a band that was still close to their peak, and was forced to pretty much call it quits because of Layne. They waited around for him to come around, but unfortunately, things ended badly. Then they waited well after his death to end their hiatus, I say that because I don't think they ever officially broke up. They could have made a quick buck by getting back together right after Layne's death, but they respected him and waited. Do you really think that it was fair for AIC, as an entity, to have it's career cut short because of Layne? I don't.

Also, their new singer, William Duvall, has been playing with Jerry for at least 9 years, saw him with Jerry at the TLA in 2001. So, he was familiar with the material and established a bond with Jerry before joining AIC. And, I've met the dude the 3 times when I saw Jerry, he's a great guy. He fits in perfectly, and, he's not trying to be Layne.

Anyways, AIC has every right to continue on as AIC.

P.S. I wear Docs everyday. The greatest shoes ever!
  • StoneAmentStoneAment Posts: 393
    As far as grungestock - hell yes!!!!!
    I would add STP (and Temple) to the set but not take away AiC.

On the whole AiC argument. Layne was immense. His passsing is truely a sad thing. However if AiC is 1 person than that person is Jerry Cantrell and he (thankfully) still with us. Enough time has passed and the band is honouring Layne's memory not crapping over it. If the band were ever going to replace layne they would've done it when he was still alive and not functioning, but they didn't. No attempt has ever been made to replace layne, the band has only opted to move forward while respecting his memory. Do not accuse them of blindly replacing layne or disrespecting Layne when they've not!
    Mike McCready makes the energizer bunny look tired.
  • jecicajecica Posts: 954
    Does everyone get pitchforks???
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    demetrios wrote:

Please get off your high horse. This is getting old.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

Please get off your high horse. This is getting old.

I was on a horse? :shock: Hot damn!
    I think talk about 'the new' Alice in Chains on the Pearl Jam forum is getting old.