Stage Fright

BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
edited May 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey there, I'm 20 years old and playing my first gig this Friday. I've played guitar in public before but this will be my first time both singing and playing. I haven't been singing very long, but as long as I'm emotionally connected to the song, it usually goes well. I'm really excited to get it out of the way and start performing regularly, but I can't help but fear a trembling trainwreck. Although it shouldn't matter, but being the only female on the bill has also brought about some extra nerves. I know most performers have probably experienced stage fright and I've heard it never really goes away, but any tips on conquering it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Honestly, once you get up there, lose yourself in what you're doing, and you'll be fine! I find it to be the worst 5 mins or so before I go on, then I go on, and I just go. I rarely remember specifics when I play, just try to get in 'the zone' and it'll be fine!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    Honestly, once you get up there, lose yourself in what you're doing, and you'll be fine! I find it to be the worst 5 mins or so before I go on, then I go on, and I just go. I rarely remember specifics when I play, just try to get in 'the zone' and it'll be fine!

so true. i usually freak out a bit (10 minutes or so) before i start a set. but once i hit that first chord or sing the opening note, i'm good to go. one thing that helps me is to play a song that i'm really comfortable with first---that way, if my nerves get the best of me, i know where i am in the song.

congrats on the gig! let us know how it goes!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    Fortunately, this was only an issue during the first few gigs I played with my band (and every single band before that). Once you get into it and get a feeling for how it all works, it goes away. I usually get over it during the first three or four songs (Nowadays it doesn't even take that long). If it doesn't go away... I don't know. A drink or two might help. But whatever you do, DO NOT get completely drunk before a gig. This definitley DOESN'T help.
    That being said, your profile picture already tells a lot about how to deal with insecurity on stage. ;)
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Being in a band, it often helps to ignore the crowd for the first song or so, and just focus on the other members of your band. Make a lot of eye contact with the rest of the band, and find your groove. Once you're in the pocket, it's a lot easier to connect with the crowd and use their energy for the rest of the set.

Playing solo means you don't have that luxury. If you need to, it's okay to close your eyes and tune out the visual of a crowd in front of you. The big problem with stage fright is usually focus; that is, letting the crowd take you away from the song. Try to keep your head up, so your diaphram and larynx doesn't get compressed and restrict your voice, but by all means, close your eyes and get into the song first. The crowd sees it like you're just really into that song.

Like mfc2006 said, it may be a good idea to start with a song that you are VERY comfortable with, and isn't too complicated. Pulling off an easy song first can build up your confidence and establish a connection with the audience, and that makes it a lot easier.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Imagine everyone is naked, sorry got that from the Simpsons.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Just get up there and do it. I was so nervous before my first gig with my current band that I started gettin kinda light headed and crummy feelin. I thought havin a beer or smokin a little would help me. I've seen and had it work a bunch but it might not always, b/c it hasn't helped me every time.

They do make otc medicine to help calm your nerves, or you can take a small dose of benadryl.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Stage fright it the one thing that stopped me from playing in front of people.

I was the drummer "hoar" for several high school band back in the early 90's, and played a few times, but never felt comfortable up there. Of course, it may have contributed that I didn't like anyone in my high school.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    Maybe one drink... However, with me, anymore than one or two I can feel my playing start to go.

Most of all, HAVE FUN!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I usually pull an Ed and have some wine on stage. It helps with the voice (because I add a ton of salt). Also, just make sure you're prepared and try to feed off the crowd. If you're confident, the crowd will sense it and they'll dig in. Like everyone is saying, just have fun. If you mess up, chances are, people won't know. Just improvise if need be-I do it all the time. Have as much fun as possible. If the crowd sees you're having fun, they'll have fun, too! Good luck and let us know how it went!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    Yeah i have a little dutch courage helping.
    Although i generally rehearse with a few beers too - as they say you- should practice what you preach :-)
    I usually pull an Ed and have some wine on stage. It helps with the voice (because I add a ton of salt). Also, just make sure you're prepared and try to feed off the crowd. If you're confident, the crowd will sense it and they'll dig in. Like everyone is saying, just have fun. If you mess up, chances are, people won't know. Just improvise if need be-I do it all the time. Have as much fun as possible. If the crowd sees you're having fun, they'll have fun, too! Good luck and let us know how it went!

Dude! You drink heavily SALTED wine on stage?? :shock: Is that even possible? That's what I call some serious commitment.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Keep your mind focused on the music you're playing and singing. Listen to the thread and keep pulling your mind back if it wants to move off. It'll become a habit to stay focused.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    This.
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    Thanks for the advice everybody. What a pleasant little section of this message board..I'll need to frequent here more. I had been thinking about drinking and haven't been sure if it's a good idea. I'll probably go with one or two as someone suggested.
    That being said, your profile picture already tells a lot about how to deal with insecurity on stage. ;)

Haha absolutely, they're my two biggest heros and their music always sparks inspiration before playing. I'll probably cover a tune or two by each of them. Possibly Atlantic City, The Promised Land, Does this bus stop on 82nd st, Off He Goes, Small Town, Force of Nature, or Wishlist (I've been replacing the Ebow with harmonica and it sounds pretty badass)
    Thanks for the advice everybody. What a pleasant little section of this message board..I'll need to frequent here more.
    It's by far the friendliest are of the board!
    Thanks for the advice everybody. What a pleasant little section of this message board..I'll need to frequent here more.

I love the quote in your sig. What song did he play?

I love the quote in your sig. What song did he play?
    "Hide Your Love Away".. It was at the Albany show in 2006!
    Haha absolutely, they're my two biggest heros and their music always sparks inspiration before playing. I'll probably cover a tune or two by each of them. Possibly Atlantic City, The Promised Land, Does this bus stop on 82nd st, Off He Goes, Small Town, Force of Nature, or Wishlist (I've been replacing the Ebow with harmonica and it sounds pretty badass)

These all sound like good cover ideas. These guys have so much great material for covers. Especially Springsteen.
    Just thought I'd drop in here and let you guys know how it went...I had so much fun last night! I did end up having a couple drinks, so perhaps that contributed, but I really wasn't as nervous getting up there as I expected. It certainly wasn't a flawless performance but I had a blast and the crowd seemed to dig it too. I was expecting very little reaction but my third song was The Weight and it seemed like the entire room was singing. After that, I pretty much settled in. They also sang along to Mary Jane's Last Dance (dedicated to our campus security after a recent incident) and I got several "Bruuuce!"s hah. That was quite a rush, can't wait to play again. Thanks again for the encouragement everybody!
    Congrats! Great to hear that you had fun and it all worked out ok.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    So glad to hear that it went well!! Congrats!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Congrats!
  • Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    Ah, this thread makes me feel like I can't wait to get back on stage and perform. There's nothing like that feeling 5-10 minutes before you go on. Such a rush!
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    Kudos! I'm 20 and just now starting to toy with the idea of gigging.. there's a great little coffee shop near my house at school, and was thinking of trying to play a set or two there. Problem is I'm terribly low on self-confidence in regards to my voice, as I know it's nothin' special, and I don't think I've learned properly how to use it. Not to mention my two favourite artists are particularly hard to figure out in terms of how you can sing their songs - Pearl Jam, and Tom Waits.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    Practice beforehand by playing to one person. Do a small set infront of them. Keep your eyes on that one person whenever you can. Look them in the eye. It's proven psychologically that people are soothed by keeping their focus on one person's eyes and not nervously spraying their vision around. So, step up and play in front of one person, and confidently look them in the eye. IN that sense, you are completely exposing your music to them and showing them you are confident about it.

When you actually play in front of a crowd, pick out one person to play each song to.... do the same thing you did at home except to a different person in the crowd for each song.

After a while, this technique won't be needed. But, it's a helpful way to get started.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="