Top Gear - Bolivia Special

JoJo Posts: 2,098
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
That was the most refreshing reality movie on TV, that I had watched in a long time.

The time before that, would have been Top Gear - Vietnam Special.

Cheers to Top Gear. :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Yeah i've seen it several times, one of the best episodes if not the best.

One thing i've grown to love with top gear is how funny Clarkson is.. this one is a great episode as it isn't heavily edited.

The end bit is just pure madness!!
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Was that the one from this last season where the had to drive in a jungle at first?

Either way, Top Gear is the greatest show on earth. I would kill to hang out with Jeremy Clarkson for a day.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    Was that the one from this last season where the had to drive in a jungle at first?

Yep. They had to get thier old, banged up 4WD's off the barge in the Amazon and drive up and through the Andea's.
    This one was extremely good, nerve racking and informative entertainment!
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE TOP GEAR! Unfortunately I missed as I was at work, but will end up getting the dvd anyway......but it will probably be repeated on GO! on thursday night I think
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    OMG!!! i watched this last night. those guys are mad. but i was thinking how thrilling itd be to be there with them. i cant believe they tackled that death road in the dark. insane.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I love Top Gear so much. I would kill to get tickets to the show. Those guys crack me up. Haven't seen the Bolivia episode yet, I thought the Vietnam one was amazing. And the one where they drove across the desert - somewhere in Africa maybe?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    good show. even the gf likes it, and she can't tell a ring gear from a pinion gear
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Jo wrote:

Yep. They had to get thier old, banged up 4WD's off the barge in the Amazon and drive up and through the Andea's.
    This one was extremely good, nerve racking and informative entertainment!

yea I would have to say that was the best top gear special they have ever done. Clarkson on that incredibly dangerous highway actually had me nervous, and hammonds unnecessary lift kit that ruined his Toyota had me cracking up.

Top gear can do no wrong. There was never a single time where I watched top gear and I wasn't thoroughly entertained. Greatest show on earth.

Oh and btw YouTube "top gear ground force" not a car challenge at all but it's HILARIOUS. It's them trying to design a backyard for an Olympic canoer. All they do is fuck up!
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    yea I would have to say that was the best top gear special they have ever done. Clarkson on that incredibly dangerous highway actually had me nervous, and hammonds unnecessary lift kit that ruined his Toyota had me cracking up.
    Yep I think it was the best special they've done. If you look up the world's most dangerous roads and read about the Yungas Road in Bolivia you can see how dangerous it is.

Sadly there are reports of Top Gear finishing. I hope not.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    best special for me was the Vietnam one... Bolivia was awesome though!

I still like the redneck one from deep south of the States... that one was really funny from start to finish. :lol:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Saw the Boliva episode last night. it was awesome. We don't get the Vietnam episode until next week here. Can't wait to see it. I can take or leave the studio shows. If it's on I watch it but I don't make a point of watching every week. But I'll be watching the road trips they're classics.
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • HeyWayneHeyWayne Posts: 316
    Just me that's bored of it then?
    Just a dude growing veg

haywayne.blogspot.com
    HeyWayne wrote:

nah, I'm sure there are a few people who don't get it/like it/whatever... my wife even watches it and she couldnt give a shit about cars. she just finds it very entertaining.

I shall resurrect my Clarkson thread.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    Austicman wrote:
    Saw the Boliva episode last night. it was awesome. We don't get the Vietnam episode until next week here. Can't wait to see it. I can take or leave the studio shows. If it's on I watch it but I don't make a point of watching every week. But I'll be watching the road trips they're classics.

I don't watch much TV but I make a note of when Top Gear is on.
    I find The studio shows are entertaining to some extent and you get to know what LOVE these guys HAVE or have HAVE NOT got for one another , so then the way they treat one another during these episodes is friggin funny.
    Just mates on a road trip, but going through the best places in the world!!
    And not to mention the cars, the cars, the cars. I like cars so it suits me just fine. :)

How do we get a job like that??
    dunkman wrote:
    HeyWayne wrote:

nah, I'm sure there are a few people who don't get it/like it/whatever... my wife even watches it and she couldnt give a shit about cars. she just finds it very entertaining.

I shall resurrect my Clarkson thread.

I think the thing is, it's become a bit of a self parody. I'm pretty sure that even in the Bolivia one James even said as much - something along the lines of "If you do what you always do every episode, and run into the back of me...I'll rip your f*cking head off".

It's been running for so long now that I think they've run out of ideas - it's predictable now, Clarkson and Hammond are caricatures, James is however a thoroughly good bloke.
    Just a dude growing veg

haywayne.blogspot.com
    dunkman wrote:

I still like the redneck one from deep south of the States... that one was really funny from start to finish. :lol:

Predictable I think not.
    I laugh my head off every time they are being 'Red Necked, politicaly incorrect' in EVERY part of the world......Lighten up people! :) .........it's just for fun. :lol:
    The Vietnam one is well worth waiting for. The countryside is some of the best I've ever seen, and the gags the guys play on one another, are, life threatening!! :):D:lol:
    Jo wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

Predictable I think not.
    I laugh my head off every time they are being 'Red Necked, politicaly incorrect' in EVERY part of the world......Lighten up people! :) .........it's just for fun. :lol:
    The Vietnam one is well worth waiting for. The countryside is some of the best I've ever seen, and the gags the guys play on one another, are, life threatening!! :):D:lol:

i doubt theyre as life threatening as theyre made out to be.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Knowing what I know of the BBC, and the culture of litigation we have in the UK, I can guarantee those 'stunts' are not as life threatening as they appear to be. The British licence payer (which is how the BBC is funded) wouldn't tolerate the premiums if their lives were truly in danger.

I grant you, it's entertaining to a point I just think we've had it now for so long it's run its course.

In my humble opinion of course.
    Just a dude growing veg

haywayne.blogspot.com
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    ... although I think Hammond is testament to things occasionally getting a touch life threatening.

I'm sure since that they've had been even more careful with the stuff they do.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    Anything filmed is not as life threatening as it seems, because there are other people around filming and recording and directing.......
    but these blokes are still doing it.

What could the film crew do? if someone started slipping down those slopes?.....not much.
    And that is what makes it entertaining.
    It is not Survivour!
    1. “I’d like to consider Ferrari as a scaled down version of God.”

2. [On the Porsche Boxster] “It couldn’t pull a greased stick out of a pig’s bottom.”

3. [When driving the Mercedes SLR McLaren through a tunnel] “When they debate as to what the sound of the SLR engine was akin to, the British engineers from McLaren said it sounded like a Spitfire. But the German engineers from Mercedes
    said ‘Nein! Nein! Sounds like a Messerschmitt!’ They were both wrong. It sounds like the God of Thunder, gargling with nails.”

4. “I’m sorry, but having an Aston Martin DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If you’ve got even half a scrotum it’s not going to happen.”

5. “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

6. “Koenigsegg are saying that the CCX is more comfortable. More comfortable than what… being stabbed?”

7. [On Detroit] “God may have created the world in six days, but while he was resting on the seventh, Beelzebub popped up and did this place.”

8. “Owning a TVR in the past was like owning a bear. I mean it was great, until it pulled your head off, which it would.”

9. [On the Renault Clio V6] “I think the problem is that it’s French. It’s a surrendermonkey.”

10. [On the Enzo Ferrari] “I rang up Jay Kay, who’s got one, and said: “Can we borrow yours?” and he said, “Yeah, if I can borrow your daughter, because it amounts to the same thing.”

11. [On the Porsche Cayenne] “I’ve seen gangrenous wounds better looking than this!”

12. “The air conditioning in Lamborghinis used to be an asthmatic sitting in the dashboard blowing at you through a straw.”

13. “Whenever I’m suffering from insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I’m straight off.”

14. “If you were to buy a [BMW] 6-series, I recommend you select reverse when leaving friends’ houses so they don’t see its backside.”

15. “That [Pagani] Zonda, really! It’s like a lion in orange dungarees. Kind of fierce, but ridiculous all at the same time.”

16. [On a Chevrolet Corvette] “The Americans lecture the world on democracy and then won’t let me turn the traction control off!”

17. [On the Alfa Romeo
    Brera] “Think of it as Angelina Jolie. You’ve heard she’s mad and eats nothing but wallpaper paste. But you would, wouldn’t
    you?”

18. “A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.”

19. “This is a Renault Espace, probably the best of the people carriers. Not that that’s much to shout about. That’s like saying ‘Oh good, I’ve got syphilis, the best of the sexually transmitted diseases!’”

20. “In the olden days I always got the impression that TVR built a car, put it on sale, and then found out how it handled – usually when one of their customers wrote to the factory complaining about how dead he was.”

21. [On the Mercedes CLS55 AMG] “It sounds like Barry White eating wasps.”

22. “I’d rather go to work on my hands and knees than drive there in a Ford Galaxy. Whoever designed the Ford Galaxy upholstery had a cauliflower fixation. I would rather have a vasectomy than buy a Ford Galaxy.”

23. “Usually, a Range Rover would be beaten away from the lights by a diesel powered wheelbarrow.”

24. “Racing cars which have been converted for road use never really work. It’s like making a hardcore adult film, and then editing it so that it can be shown in British hotels. You’d just end up with a sort of half hour close up of some bloke’s sweaty face.”

25. “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?”

number 25 is my favourite! ;)
    dunkman wrote:
    5. “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

so very true. same with falling. unless you fall into a river and drown. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    dunkman wrote:

2. [On the Porsche Boxster] “It couldn’t pull a greased stick out of a pig’s bottom.”

3. [When driving the Mercedes SLR McLaren through a tunnel] “When they debate as to what the sound of the SLR engine was akin to, the British engineers from McLaren said it sounded like a Spitfire. But the German engineers from Mercedes
    said ‘Nein! Nein! Sounds like a Messerschmitt!’ They were both wrong. It sounds like the God of Thunder, gargling with nails.”

4. “I’m sorry, but having an Aston Martin DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If you’ve got even half a scrotum it’s not going to happen.”

6. “Koenigsegg are saying that the CCX is more comfortable. More comfortable than what… being stabbed?”

7. [On Detroit] “God may have created the world in six days, but while he was resting on the seventh, Beelzebub popped up and did this place.”

8. “Owning a TVR in the past was like owning a bear. I mean it was great, until it pulled your head off, which it would.”

9. [On the Renault Clio V6] “I think the problem is that it’s French. It’s a surrendermonkey.”

10. [On the Enzo Ferrari] “I rang up Jay Kay, who’s got one, and said: “Can we borrow yours?” and he said, “Yeah, if I can borrow your daughter, because it amounts to the same thing.”

11. [On the Porsche Cayenne] “I’ve seen gangrenous wounds better looking than this!”

12. “The air conditioning in Lamborghinis used to be an asthmatic sitting in the dashboard blowing at you through a straw.”

13. “Whenever I’m suffering from insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I’m straight off.”

14. “If you were to buy a [BMW] 6-series, I recommend you select reverse when leaving friends’ houses so they don’t see its backside.”

15. “That [Pagani] Zonda, really! It’s like a lion in orange dungarees. Kind of fierce, but ridiculous all at the same time.”

16. [On a Chevrolet Corvette] “The Americans lecture the world on democracy and then won’t let me turn the traction control off!”

17. [On the Alfa Romeo
    Brera] “Think of it as Angelina Jolie. You’ve heard she’s mad and eats nothing but wallpaper paste. But you would, wouldn’t
    you?”

18. “A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.”

19. “This is a Renault Espace, probably the best of the people carriers. Not that that’s much to shout about. That’s like saying ‘Oh good, I’ve got syphilis, the best of the sexually transmitted diseases!’”

20. “In the olden days I always got the impression that TVR built a car, put it on sale, and then found out how it handled – usually when one of their customers wrote to the factory complaining about how dead he was.”

22. “I’d rather go to work on my hands and knees than drive there in a Ford Galaxy. Whoever designed the Ford Galaxy upholstery had a cauliflower fixation. I would rather have a vasectomy than buy a Ford Galaxy.”

23. “Usually, a Range Rover would be beaten away from the lights by a diesel powered wheelbarrow.”

24. “Racing cars which have been converted for road use never really work. It’s like making a hardcore adult film, and then editing it so that it can be shown in British hotels. You’d just end up with a sort of half hour close up of some bloke’s sweaty face.”

25. “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?”

I take it you like Top Gear!. :D
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Jo wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

17. [On the Alfa Romeo
    you?”

I take it you like Top Gear!. :D

Bahahahaha my 5yo is hooked on TG. He was watching Richard Hammonds Blast Lab the other day )kids science type show) and they dumped a tonne of water from a crane onto a car and the little fella says to me "Hey mum they smash cars on here just like on Top Gear!" ...oh and Oliver is on Blast Lab too.

I love the Stig intros! Some say he is dead, but the grim reaper is too scared to tell him. All we know is; he’s called The Stig.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    new season started last night....

seemed a little too forced....or was it just me.

12345 must be rolling over in his bed, watching what they did to that poor mini. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg