Any English Majors?

Champagne BreakfastChampagne Breakfast Posts: 1,526
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone an english major? I am the complete opposite and in need of major assistance.
I'm working on a big lyrical project entitled ...The Reign's/The Rein's. -- there is the problem. I have no idea which is the correct spelling and terminology. I've spent quite a bit of time researching on the internet and I'm now more confused than ever. The meaning of my piece ..the reigns/reins --- is to take control and NOT to physically ride or guide. Lyric examples include -- The reigns/reins will guide me home,with the reign's/rein's i'll take it home, grab the reign's/reins & drive it home, the reigns/reins will take me home......

I know reins usually refers to taking the reins on a horse but the research i was doing said its also supposed to mean to take control. which is the message I am trying to put out. However,....songs like Love Boat Captain and others use The Reigns. I'm clueless??? But cant mess this up as not only is the lyrical piece titled the Reign's/Rein's so is the entire project! So... i need to get it right. Thanks!!!
PJ - 36
EV - 5
(**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited April 2010
    well... if you want to convey control then REIN(S) is what youre looking for as in rein in or someone will soon take over the reins. much as REINS are used to control a horse. REIGN means to rule or to be dominant.
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    :?
    I was an English major but I'm not sure what that has to do with your question. Actually, I'm not sure what your question is.

Taking the reins does refer to taking control of something, as well as riding a horse. If that's what you're talking about, I'd go with reins. Song lyrics often take creative license (like using an alternate spelling). If this is something you're getting a grade on I'd go with the accepted spelling.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • well... if you want to convey control then REIN(S) is what youre looking for as in rein in or someone will soon take over the reins. much as REINS are used to control a horse. REIGN means to rule or dominate.
    thanks. i was pretty set on reins being correct until i read the PJ lyrics to LBC where its Reigns ....which essentially is the same meaning & context.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

• :?
    I was an English major but I'm not sure what that has to do with your question. Actually, I'm not sure what your question is.

Taking the reins does refer to taking control of something, as well as riding a horse. If that's what you're talking about, I'd go with reins. Song lyrics often take creative license (like using an alternate spelling). If this is something you're getting a grade on I'd go with the accepted spelling.
    haha thanks -- your prob not sure what my question is because i am THAT confused. It seems it can go either way but I do want make sure i capture the correct meaning given the name of the project is the reigns/reins. I will not be graded. Its a music record/project
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

well... if you want to convey control then REIN(S) is what youre looking for as in rein in or someone will soon take over the reins. much as REINS are used to control a horse. REIGN means to rule or dominate.
    thanks. i was pretty set on reins being correct until i read the PJ lyrics to LBC where its Reigns ....which essentially is the same meaning & context.

well thats just an eddie typo.(dont forget hes an american afterall) they do not mean the same thing and can not be switched as if they are.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    :?

haha thanks -- your prob not sure what my question is because i am THAT confused. It seems it can go either way but I do want make sure i capture the correct meaning given the name of the project is the reigns/reins. I will not be graded. Its a music record/project
    Glad you're not getting graded. If it had been for an English class, I'd DEFINITELY go with the most accepted spelling. Unless it was a class in creative writing!
    well thats just an eddie typo.
    That's what I meant about "creative license." ;)

hmm perhaps. but to me it just shows ed has a problem with these particular homonyms.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • well thats just an eddie typo.

hmm perhaps. but to me it just shows ed has a problem with these particular homonyms.
    well, the funny thing is if you look up LBC lyrics on any website they are written as ...LBC take the Reign's and steer us towards .....
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

well, the funny thing is if you look up LBC lyrics on any website they are written as ...LBC take the Reign's and steer us towards .....

i dont find that funny. i find it sad that it hasnt been corrected. and i imagine many of those sites got their lyrics from the riot act booklet. and if they didnt then they too seem to have a problem with homonyms. im not perfect but this one i know.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I see reign used when referring to a monarch: "During the reign of Henry VIII..."
    So by extension, the word reign is often used for something domineering, like "reign of terror" or "Love reign o'er me." Rex/Regina are the Latin words for King/Queen. Rey/Reina are Spanish. In structure, it looks like reign probably comes from an older word meaning 'royal.'

"Rein" doesn't seem to have the gravitas that "reign" has. To rein in(a situation) or take something by the reins. Someone is usually the object of a reign, but is in control of rein. For example, I could be the victim of a stalker's reign of harassment. I could rein in my out-of-control spending habits. I could grab life by the reins.

I hope that a PJ website did not use an apostrophe to make a plural. Reins and reigns are very different from rein's and reign's. I don't know how the problem came about where internet users add an apostrophe plus an S instead of a plain old S. It is spreading exponentially. How strange.
    "May you live in interesting times."

Agreed. I was just making a polite excuse for him. ;)
  • canoegirlcanoegirl Posts: 295
    rains, let the reader deside the rest reins/reigns, ugh some words
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Agreed. I was just making a polite excuse for him. ;)

Or maybe he did do it on purpose. I have used the word "daze" when it seemed the line required the word "days" but I was just being clever. Like, "I can't remember all the daze before." Maybe Ed meant for somebody to take all these world powers (reigns) and steer them towards the clear.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    edited April 2010
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Or maybe he did do it on purpose. I have used the word "daze" when it seemed the line required the word "days" but I was just being clever. Like, "I can't remember all the daze before." Maybe Ed meant for somebody to take all these world powers (reigns) and steer them towards the clear.

and maybe pigs might fly out of my butt.
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    eyedclaar wrote:

and maybe pigs might fly out of my butt.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't know why this struck me as being so funny, but I can't stop laughing! :lol:
  • I see reign used when referring to a monarch: "During the reign of Henry VIII..."
    So by extension, the word reign is often used for something domineering, like "reign of terror" or "Love reign o'er me." Rex/Regina are the Latin words for King/Queen. Rey/Reina are Spanish. In structure, it looks like reign probably comes from an older word meaning 'royal.'

"Rein" doesn't seem to have the gravitas that "reign" has. To rein in(a situation) or take something by the reins. Someone is usually the object of a reign, but is in control of rein. For example, I could be the victim of a stalker's reign of harassment. I could rein in my out-of-control spending habits. I could grab life by the reins.

I hope that a PJ website did not use an apostrophe to make a plural. Reins and reigns are very different from rein's and reign's. I don't know how the problem came about where internet users add an apostrophe plus an S instead of a plain old S. It is spreading exponentially. How strange.
    I believe you cleared up everything that was tripping me up by your explanation and example..... i could grab life by the reins. That example pretty much says exactly my messsage --- which is to take control and made it clear NOT to use apostrophe s! It looks like ...The Reins .. it is, of course unless i get confused and change my mind for the 18th time tomorrow! ha!.-- thanks!
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

• I believe you cleared up everything that was tripping me up by your explanation and example..... i could grab life by the reins. That example pretty much says exactly my messsage --- which is to take control and made it clear NOT to use apostrophe s! It looks like ...The Reins .. it is, of course unless i get confused and change my mind for the 18th time tomorrow! ha!.-- thanks!

Tee hee! You're welcome! I love understanding things- It's my mad passion in life.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • I believe you cleared up everything that was tripping me up by your explanation and example..... i could grab life by the reins. That example pretty much says exactly my messsage --- which is to take control and made it clear NOT to use apostrophe s! It looks like ...The Reins .. it is, of course unless i get confused and change my mind for the 18th time tomorrow! ha!.-- thanks!

Tee hee! You're welcome! I love understanding things- It's my mad passion in life.
    Thanks... it really helps people like me who dont understand a damn thing!
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5