*Question for canadians hopping the boarder to Buffalo show?

MANTISMANTIS Posts: 272
edited April 2010 in The Porch
Is there some rule that your passport cannot have an expiry date within 3 months when crossing the boarder into the US? My friend (or potential asshole for dicking around with me!)is trying to tell me that there is this rule, and my passport expires July 21st this year (expires 2mo. after show). Am i going to get the turn around at the peace bridge??? I cant find ANYTHING that states this on the in-ter-net

Anyone?

Wondering if i need to get it renewed ASAP

Columbus 00 -- Toronto 00 -- Toronto 03 -- Hershey 03 -- Boston I 04 -- Boston II 04 -- Toledo 04 -- Kitchener 05 -- London 05 -- Hamilton 05 -- Ottawa 05 -- Toronto 05 -- Toronto I 06 -- Toronto II 06 -- Cleveland 06 -- Detroit 06 -- Gorge I 06 -- Gorge II 06 -- Chicago Lolla 07 -- Toronto 09 -- Buffalo 10 -- Hamilton 11 -- Toronto I 11 -- Toronto II 11 -- Buffalo 13 -- London 13 -- Toronto I 16 -- Toronto II 16 -- Ottawa 16 -- Chicago I  18 -- Chicago II 18 -- Hamilton 22 -- Toronto 22

Ed Ved - Toronto I 08--Toronto II 08

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Check out the website below, it just states a valid passport, nothing about the expiration date. I think your alright, but Im sure you can find a number on the link below, just to be sure :)

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/whti-ivho/ls-tm-eng.html
  • WashedWashed Posts: 736
    I realize this is only vaguely related, but how much time do you leave to cross the border? My wife and I are driving up and keep hearing that Niagara Falls is more spectacular from the Canadian side. Is getting back across the border into the US a lengthy process or are there generally no waits? Just don't want to take any chances when a Pearl Jam concert is involved!

Thanks.
    :D
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • Washed wrote:
    I realize this is only vaguely related, but how much time do you leave to cross the border? My wife and I are driving up and keep hearing that Niagara Falls is more spectacular from the Canadian side. Is getting back across the border into the US a lengthy process or are there generally no waits? Just don't want to take any chances when a Pearl Jam concert is involved!

Thanks.

I have never really had a problem with a long wait to get into the US - but I would definately leave yourself enough time to be safe. It is beautiful from this side though, and worth crossing the border to see it
  • On a monday night for a PJ concert - anywhere from 20mins -1 hour I would think. CAN"T WAITTT!!!!!!!!!!
    No need to be void,... or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all.....

PJ
    Toronto 2003 · Boston I, 2004 · Kitchener 2005 · London 2005 · Hamilton 2005 · Toronto 2005 · Toronto I, 2006 · Toronto II, 2006 · Mansfield I, 2008 · Mansfield II, 2008 · Philadelphia III, 2009 · Philadelphia IV, 2009 · Cleveland 2010 · *Buffalo 2010* · PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY 2011 · Toronto I, 2011 · Toronto II, 2011 · Hamilton 2011 · London (ON) 2013 · Buffalo 2013 · Toronto I, 2016 · Toronto II, 2016 · Chicago I, 2018 · Chicago II, 2018

EV
    Montreal I, 2008 · Montreal II, 2008 · Albany 2009 · Philadelphia 2011 · Fort Lauderdale I, 2012 · Orlando I, 2012 · Orlando II, 2012
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    MANTIS wrote:
    Is there some rule that your passport cannot have an expiry date within 3 months when crossing the boarder into the US? My friend (or potential asshole for dicking around with me!)is trying to tell me that there is this rule, and my passport expires July 21st this year (expires 2mo. after show). Am i going to get the turn around at the peace bridge??? I cant find ANYTHING that states this on the in-ter-net

Anyone?

Wondering if i need to get it renewed ASAP
    I recently crossed the border TWICE with the same friend (one in Niagara Falls and once in Port Huron) who has a passport that expires within 3 months and had no trouble at all.

That said, I would try to get a new one before then if at all possible...
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
    Washed wrote:

Thanks.
    Some advice for you ... CROSS AT NIAGARA FALLS both times and it will drastically reduce your border wait times. Lewiston is the worst bridge to cross at (for wait times) - so avoid it like the plague.

Give yourself a few hours for the detour. Buffalo to NF is about 25-30 mins each way and even with a smooth border crossing both times, leave yourself 30 mins for crossing time. You'll want AT LEAST an hour, maybe as much as two hours to explore the Canadian side of the falls. It is truly beautiful and is bigger than you think to walk from one side to the other (and also to take some time to stop and admire it from the nicer lookout spots).
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,749
    Washed wrote:

Thanks.

everything about Niagara Falls is better on the Canadian Side. In terms of wait times... totally depends on the border. I could say "five minutes" and it might be 30. Also, when you get into Niagara Falls on the Canadian Side.. if the weather is nice... it'll be jammed. Niagara Falls on a nice day is PACKED.

IF you have the time.... I recommend it though. Come across.... park the car.. and take a walk along the boardwalk next to the Falls on the Canadian side.. and check on Clifton Hill as well. (tourist area)

Why ANYONE would visit Niagara Falls and only go to the American side is beyond me.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Bump30Bump30 Posts: 446
    When applying for a Visa to enter some countries your passport must be valid for another 3 or 6 months but i don't believe that's the case with a simple US/Canada boarder crossing.
    Toronto - 2009
    Hartford - 2010
    Ed Solo - Hartford - 2011
    Toronto X 2, Ottawa & Hamilton - 2011
    Ed Solo - Jacksonville - 2012
    London, Pittsburgh & Buffalo - 2013
    No shows in 2014 :-(
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,685
    Well I've crossed the border twice in the last 6 months, altough it was at Port Huron, longest I had to wait was probably 15 mins, so I'm hoping the Niagra Falls crossing goes just as good.
    Another questionI have, we are staying over in Buffalo after the show and coming home Tuesday late morning some time. I probably won't be in the US a full 24 hrs, but I want to stop at the Duty Free and pick up some booze and smokes on the way back, am I going to be able to do that. I heard you have to be in the US a full 24 hrs to be able to bring stuff back? Don't want to have to smuggle anything back :D
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,904
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Washed wrote:

Thanks.

Some advice for you ... CROSS AT NIAGARA FALLS both times and it will drastically reduce your border wait times. Lewiston is the worst bridge to cross at (for wait times) - so avoid it like the plague.

i'm trying to recall what my wait times have been entering the States at Lewiston, but off hand I would say it's typically been ~ 15 minutes or so. I've had great success there, in terms of never being hassled (it's been my experience that US Customs agents find traveling PJ fans both amusing and obsessed); however, crossing back into Canada at Lewiston can definitely be a lengthy process during peak hours so I will likely return home via the Niagara Falls option.

on a side note: during the '08 tour, we were driving back home after the NYC-Hartford-Boston jaunt and crossed back into Canada at Lewiston. when I pulled up to the Canada Customs agent and answered that I was just returning from a PJ concert in Boston, without hesitating she immediately asked me if I was a 10C member. she then proceeded to explain how she made a point of requesting to work at Pearson Airport the day the band was scheduled to fly into Toronto during the '05 tour, so she could be the agent selected to board their plane upon landing in order to meet the band. i ended up spending 15 minutes sitting there and speaking with her about some recent shows, which must have seemed like an eternity for the people waiting behind me to cross.

;)
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    i think you should be able to revise your thread title if you have used incorrect spelling

signed,
    the board police
  • WashedWashed Posts: 736
    Thanks very much for all of the advice regarding seeing Niagara from the Canadian side/crossing wait times! I cannot wait! :D
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
    BLACK35 wrote:
    Well I've crossed the border twice in the last 6 months, altough it was at Port Huron, longest I had to wait was probably 15 mins, so I'm hoping the Niagra Falls crossing goes just as good.
    Another questionI have, we are staying over in Buffalo after the show and coming home Tuesday late morning some time. I probably won't be in the US a full 24 hrs, but I want to stop at the Duty Free and pick up some booze and smokes on the way back, am I going to be able to do that. I heard you have to be in the US a full 24 hrs to be able to bring stuff back? Don't want to have to smuggle anything back :D
    You can but as much booze and smokes as you want, but only being over for 24 horus, you are going to have to pay duty on all of it. If you are lucky and get a nice border agent (as long as you don't have excessive amounts) you might get waived through without paying duty, but be prepared to pay duty.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    100 Pacer wrote:

on a side note: during the '08 tour, we were driving back home after the NYC-Hartford-Boston jaunt and crossed back into Canada at Lewiston. when I pulled up to the Canada Customs agent and answered that I was just returning from a PJ concert in Boston, without hesitating she immediately asked me if I was a 10C member. she then proceeded to explain how she made a point of requesting to work at Pearson Airport the day the band was scheduled to fly into Toronto during the '05 tour, so she could be the agent selected to board their plane upon landing in order to meet the band. i ended up spending 15 minutes sitting there and speaking with her about some recent shows, which must have seemed like an eternity for the people waiting behind me to cross.

;)

Man what time did you go through, we arrived at around 7-ish and it took an hour to get through the bridge and then customs, after an 8 hour drive and 3 more to go to Windsor, it was soooooo frustrating, now my rage is directed at you :lol:
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2