30th Anniversary of the beginning of the Marathon of Hope

haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
...is today.
I posted this in the 'on this day in history' thread but I'd assume its worth its own thread! :)
I wasn't born yet when this happened but I can imagine how spectacular it would have been. And his legacy is still an inspiration to millions of Canadians today...

Terry's goal was to raise 1 million dollars on his run. According to this article the Terry Fox Foundation has raised over half a billion dollars worldwide...

And of course some of you may remember Eddie's amazing tag on light years (uh, i hope i just linked the right one because i'm in a lecture now and have no sound lol)

Terry Fox will live forever in our hearts and minds I think.
live pearl jam is best pearl jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    very cool. :thumbup:
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    haffajappa wrote:
    Terry Fox will live forever in our hearts and minds I think.
    I think you're right.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    He more than achieved his goal. In my opinion he is the greatest Canadian.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    He went to my Uni... but i haven't seen much around campus today about it...
    I'll have to give the statue a visit after class.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    A true Canadian hero. He wanted one dollar from every Canadian. He got it and way more. Everyone should know his story, no matter where you're from. I don't think there's a more inspiring story anywhere.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    A true Canadian hero. He wanted one dollar from every Canadian. He got it and way more. Everyone should know his story, no matter where you're from. I don't think there's a more inspiring story anywhere.

+1
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 wrote:

we agree for a change! ... haha

greatest canadian!
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

we agree for a change! ... haha

greatest canadian!
    Agreed.

And can anyone get through a special about him without crying? I'm a 19 year old male, but it gets me every time. Especially him talking about other kids with cancer, acting like his cancer is nothing.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjgTlCTl ... re=related

no words can explain how awesome this man was!!!!!
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    http://www.thestar.com/news/world/india ... a-s-gandhi

excerpt:

Foundation officials don't deny this is an issue but say they are keeping to Fox's wishes that no one profit from his efforts. They note international Terry Fox runs have so far raised $65 million, including $170,000 in Mumbai last year.

Several years ago in Mumbai, officials with a local charity used donations to produce a 10-minute animated film about Fox. When foundation officials in Canada found out, they demanded the money be paid back by the charity.

On Sunday, a controversy simmered because the Terry Fox Run T-shirt, supplied by a local insurance company that has been a long-time supporter of the race here, printed its logo on the front of the shirt alongside a picture of Fox, a violation of the foundation's rules.
    Lets keep this page near the top.
    polaris_x wrote:
    http://www.thestar.com/news/world/india/article/765590--india-adores-canada-s-gandhi

excerpt:

Foundation officials don't deny this is an issue but say they are keeping to Fox's wishes that no one profit from his efforts. They note international Terry Fox runs have so far raised $65 million, including $170,000 in Mumbai last year.

Several years ago in Mumbai, officials with a local charity used donations to produce a 10-minute animated film about Fox. When foundation officials in Canada found out, they demanded the money be paid back by the charity.

On Sunday, a controversy simmered because the Terry Fox Run T-shirt, supplied by a local insurance company that has been a long-time supporter of the race here, printed its logo on the front of the shirt alongside a picture of Fox, a violation of the foundation's rules.

wow! good for the TFF... keepin' it real.
  • It is so amazing what Terry Fox did. He really is such a hero and one of the greatest Canadians of all time. I was a little kid when he started but I still remember hearing about it.
    yeah i remember when i first learned about him in school.
    even as a kid i was blown away