Pearl Jam NBA Playoffs Bracket Pool -- win PJ boots!

walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
edited April 2010 in The Porch
After last month's successful PJ NCAA March Madness pool (see the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=94102), I have decided to run another pool for the upcoming NBA Playoffs. This is my favorite sporting event of the year and it presents an exciting opportunity for another PJ pool.

If you have participated in the NCAA pools in the past, the NBA pool will work very similarly. That means that each participant will have to fill out a Playoff bracket and pick who they think will win each round of games. We will be using the "Office Pool Junkie" website to conduct our pool. That means that each participant will need to register on that site (all you need is an email address, and it's free) in order to participate.

I have already created a private group on the site and will provide the league ID and password (via PM) upon completion of the participant list for our pool.

The rules are pretty simple. On Wednesday, April 14 the match-ups/times will be announced. Between that time and the time the first playoff game is played (on Sunday, April 18), each participant will need to fill out his/her bracket on the Office Pool Junkie site. The website will then track how each participant fares as the games are played. We will use a multi-tiered scoring system in which every team picked correctly in the first round earns 1 point, each winning team picked correctly in the second round earns 2 points, each winning third round team earns 4 points, and picking the winning team in the NBA Finals will earn the participant 8 points. There will also be a possibility of earning bonus points for each matchup. For each game in which a winning team is picked that is considered an upset (based on playoff seeding), the user will earn one bonus point. Also, the user will earn a bonus point for picking the correct total games played for any particular matchup (all series are 7 games long, so the total number of games played will be 4-7).

All brackets must be filled out in full before the 18th. Brackets will lock after that and, if you have signed up, you will be held accountable for following through with your prize even if you never submitted a bracket.

To make this a Pearl Jam board, the cost of playing will not be money, but rather a Pearl Jam 2000, 2003, 2008, or 2009 official bootleg -- or a PJ item of greater or equal value (please, please, please, no burned copies!!). So, if you are the winner, every other participant will have to send you the Pearl Jam bootleg they pledge in this thread.

Here are some other rules for the game:

1. You must be 18 or over to play!

2. In the case of a tie, the winner will be determined by tiebreaker. The tiebreaker is total points scored in the final games of the Finals.

3. You MUST pledge an OFFICIAL PJ bootleg when you sign up. That means no burned copies; I want to make this worthwhile for us collectors! If you have another item of equal or greater value that you would like to pledge, you may do so ONLY if you offer it as an alternative to an official bootleg; for example, you may offer "LA 9/30/09 official boot OR Yield vinyl WINNER'S CHOICE", but you may not offer the vinyl itself without the option of an official boot.

The bootleg may be new or used, but it must be in good (playable) condition. Also, only boots that were not commercially released are accepted (for example, please don't pledge State College '03).

Once somebody has pledged a specific boot, please do not repeat the same show. I would prefer that whoever wins gets a variety of different boots, not a number of the same ones.

4. If you enter, you MUST pay up if you lose. As you all know, building a reputation as a reliable person is important on this board -- enough said. Please be committed to sending the boot you pledge to the winner within a week after the game ends.

5. Participants must send me their e-mail and the address that they want their prizes to be sent if they win BEFORE Sunday, April, 18. This is simply to ensure that all members are committed to following through with their pledge. I will be in charge of distributing the winner's address to the other participants when the game is over.

8. Sign-ups for the game will end on Saturday, 4/17 at noon Pacific Time or when 25 people sign up (whichever happens first).

If anyone has any problems with these rules, or anything that's need to be added, please let me know.

Here are a list of the participants (will be updated as people sign up):

1. walkunafraid -- San Francisco Outside Lands 8/28/09 OFFICIAL BOOT OR Immagine in Cornice new/sealed DVD (Winner's Choice) package received
2. rrivers -- June 27,2008 Hartford Ct (official boot)
3. mfc2006 - Bonnaroo 2008 (official boot)
4. Ando -- Denver 2003 (official boot)
5. tonifig8 -- Las Vegas 2003 (official boot)

If you are interested in joining the pool, please post in this thread and indicate which official boot (or other PJ item) you will be putting in to the pot. You will not be added to the list until you indicate the specific boot you would like to pledge. Also, please PM me your e-mail address and the mailing address that you want your prizes to be sent in case you are the winner as soon as possible. I will be updating the list above as boots and names are added.

Thanks.
Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    bump

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I'm in. June 27,2008 Hartford Ct boot.

THanks, walkunafraid!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,412
    count me in!!

put me down for the 'Roo bootleg!

Matt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:
    count me in!!

Matt

No way, Matt! You have enough boots! :lol:
    rrivers wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    count me in!!

Matt

No way, Matt! You have enough boots! :lol:

you can never have enough!!! :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    bump...

Bump!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Wow, only 3 players so far? This is looking a little dicey...I'm gonna give it until Wednesday, but if we don't have at least 10 participants I think I'll be calling this one off.

Bumping one last time...sign-ups close tomorrow and we're not even close to 10, so this may not happen.

• AndoAndo Posts: 410
    Im in if we get enough! Denver 03
    bump!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Hmm, not looking good here, but one more bump.

• Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books Posts: 2,672
    I'm in - I'll find a boot and post it - but count me in!
    tonifig8 wrote:
    I'm in - I'll find a boot and post it - but count me in!

Okay. I'll add you as soon as you post the boot you want to pledge. :D

• Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books Posts: 2,672
    I pledge my Vegas 03 boot
    walkunafraid, so this is not happening, right?
    rrivers wrote:
    walkunafraid, so this is not happening, right?

Not unless you guys want to play for small change this time...

Sorry guys, due to lack of interest I'm going to have to cancel this pool. :(