Silent Charity Auction for Autographed Pearl Jam items

WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
edited April 2010 in The Porch
Hello everyone. My friend Jeff and I are raising money for a great charity. You can find out all about it here.

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=128659

We are doing our best to put a pit friendly price on everything, while trying to raise as much money as we can for our charity hike.

We are planning to put up a lot more stuff in the next few days. Now the reason for this post is simple. I have a hand full of autographs to sell and when it comes to signatures it is very difficult to put a price on things. So I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to do a silent auction.

If you fancy an item, just send me a PM with your bid. On Thursday night whomever has the highest bid will be the winner.

I'm going to put the opening bid really low, so please don't hesitate to put in a bid. If you put in a low bid (minimum opening bid to qualify) and no one else wants it, then it will be yours for that great price.

Here are the items up for Auction.

Ten CD- Signed by Eddie Vedder at a show on September 26th 1992
This item is inscribed "P JAM Hawaii" by EV and includes the original ticket stub from this event.
pic 1 pic 2
Estimated Value ($200-$600) Opening bid: $150.00

Vs Vinyl- Signed by Mike and Stone
pic 1 pic 2pic 3 pic 4 pic 5
Estimated Value ($50-$150) Opening bid: $35.00

2004 World Series Baseball - Signed by Jeff, Mike X2, and Boom
pic 1 pic 2 pic 3 pic 4 pic 5
Estimated Value ($150-$300) Opening bid $105.00

Signed Brad Interiors Vinyl

pic 1
Estimated Value ($60 - $300) Opening Bid $30.00

Ten CD Insert - Signed by ALL 5 members of Pearl Jam - EV, Mike, Stone, Jeff, and Matt Cameron

pic 1
Estimated Value ($200-$600) Opening Bid $150.00
FullBandSigned1.JPG

This auction is for a great cause, so if you are interested in any of these items please put in a bid. I've been around the Pit for a long time and understand that everyone has their own opinion about how to list things on here, and some might not love this approach. I'm really taking a chance with this style of auction and it will hopefully be a rousing success.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'd like to know how people get autographs from their favourite band. I got Matt's, but when I was backstage at a Soundgarden show back in 94. I can't imagine how hard it is to get backstage to PJ.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    pm sent- very cool of you to do!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,415
    Sweet Pearl Jam signed goodies. Good luck with thy auctions! :)
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Good luck, if only i wasn't a student!

I would like just out of interest to hear stories on the autographed albums, especially the 10c sleeve.
    Brisk. wrote:

I would like just out of interest to hear stories on the autographed albums.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Hey all,

I don't have any grand stories unfortunately.

I've been collecting autographs since I was a teenager. All of my stories revolve around meeting my baseball heroes. So in the interest of this theme I'll tell you three stories.

#1 Meeting Ted Williams in 1991.

Ted and Joe D. were in town for an old timers game to honor the 1941 season when Ted hit .406 and Joe D had his 56 game hitting streak.

It was a great day, and I got a ton of sweet autos. Lou Brock, Enos Slaughter, Bobby Doerr, Gaylord Perry, Joe Morgan, and a ton more.

Didn't see Ted or Joe as they are were very elusive. Around the 4th inning I found my twin brother. He had been waiting by the elevator next the the ramp behind the grandstands. He got a few Hall of Famers as they were leaving the park to go home early.

A couple minutes after I met him, Ted Williams comes walking up. He looked at me, my twin, and my little brother and started chuckling. He said "I'm only signing until the elevator opens". He reached down and tussled my hair and took my item. Then he signed for my twin. Then the elevator doors opened and he said "sorry kid" to my little brother. My little brother was 10 years old. (My twin and I were 16).

So Justin and I screamed "Go Ben" and watched Ted laughing as the elevator doors closed. Ben ran down the ramp and when Ted emerged he was still laughing. He said "You got heart kid" and signed his ball.

#2 Sneaking into the Cooperstown Hall of Fame Dinner

My brother Justin and friend Scott and I had made 2 trips to Cooperstown for the Hall of Fame induction weekend. We stayed in tents one year, and in our car the other. These trips happened in high school. 1991 and 1992.

In college I was pretty much done getting autographs. Considered it a kids endeavor. But my buddy Scott and I made one last hurrah during our freshman year in college.

This time we had a plan. We both wore suits and planned to go and blend in at the Otesaga Hotel where all of the ball players hang out. We were committed to not getting kicked out, so we were not going to get autographs unless one of the big guys came by. Ted Williams, Joe D, (I don't think either of those guys went that year?), Al Lopez (tough autograph to get at the time), and probably Aaron, or Mays (both guys who never went to the event). Anyway it was great.

We just hung out shooting the breeze with Brooks Robinson, and talking baseball with a bunch of the guys. When all of the Hall of Famers jumped in limos and buses to go the annual private Hall of Fame party we decided it was time to leave. A light rain had started to fall. Here is the exchange that took place when we exited the front doors.

Doorman "You boys want to get in the limo for the party".
    Me "No we're going to walk"
    Security guys "It's raining you really should take a car"
    Scott and I looked at each other. "ok"

And like that we were whisked away to the most exclusive Baseball party of the year. Scott had bought a throw away camera and we got our pictures with 15 Hall of famers durning the night, but decided not to get any autographs. We didn't want to bother these guys at a place where they should be free to just relax.

The best part of the night aside from the open bar and being underage and getting served, was seeing Stan Musial entertain the crowd on harmonica. This was the year Richie Ashburn and Mike Schmidt got elected. Schmidt gave a funny speech.

The food was great.

#3 Real quick one. Rollerblading at Fenway park and getting Wade Boggs, Roger Clemens, Ellis Burks, Mike Greenwell, Dwight Evans, and all the sox players at the red light as we would blade down the street knowing they would be stuck in traffic. They all rolled down the window and signed almost every time.

I probably have 25 sigs of all of those guys that I've given away, and traded over the years.

I'm sure many of the Pearl Jam autograph stories are interesting too. I just don't have any personal ones.

Happy bidding all!

Nate
    8-)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    bump
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    bump

Thanks PJ-Cubs.

Still a few items without bids. Ends on Thursday.

- Nate
    Monday Bump. :|
    8-)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    Bump :D
    what happened to the brad album :cry:

It's back. Sorry about that. Had no bids, and was wavering on keeping it. But if there is interest, I will keep it up.

Nate
    8-)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

LukinFan wrote:
    8-)

Thanks Roger!
  • PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    bump for my fellow climber. send in those bids people! :D
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

Hey All,

This auction will end at 10pm EST. So that is two hours from now.

a couple of these items don't have any bids, so here is your chance got get a very low/reasonably priced signature.

Nate
    1 hour to go.
    20 minutes to go.

The baseball and both Ten CD's are without bids.

I've lowered the starting bid price on a couple of those.

Nate
    Hey All!

So I will declare this experiment a mild success.

Only sold two of the 5 items, but it was fun and interesting. And proves true that value is only in the eye of the beholder.

The Brad Interiors vinyl sold for $66.00 with the next highest bid at $41.00
    The Vs Vinyl sold for $50.00 with the next highest bid at $40.00

No bids on the two Ten CD's, or the Baseball.

In that regard It is like I won them!

I've PMed the winners and the 2nd/3rd place finishers.

Thanks for helping with the fund raising cause!