Album Packaging: CD versus Vinyl

pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 472
edited April 2010 in The Porch
Eddie has compared the graphic elements attached to their albums with looking at the back of a cereal box while enjoying a part of your complete breakfast. Yet, the cover isn't the be all and end all. It is the tangible form, the entire package, which we contend with. So take that, iTunes!

Now, when referring to the best way to appreciate the cover art, inside booklets, etc., my immediate reaction is to reach for the vinyl record. It is, after all, a big reason of why I own several pearl jam records because it's, well, bigger. Upon further study I soon realize that the vinyl, while a feast for the eyes, doesn't always make for the best representation. I dare say, the more dwarf-like compact disk has its own strengths. Here's a brief rundown on what form captures each of the nine studio albums best. For a better glimpse of my descriptions, head on over to http://www.pjcollectors.com

Special Mention- Promotional (yellow) Alive EP: Okay, this is the only time I choose a cassette tape above all others. This was released a few months before Ten to MLB fan club members and record store owners. It is their first release. For a band still playing biker bars, it just makes sense to signify that time with a small, unassuming cassette.

Ten: Silk-screened basketball vinyl is a clear winner here. If, on some technicality we should eliminate alternate releases, then I’ll go with the re-mix reissue. The vinyl works best for me for two reasons. The first is I want to see all of the ‘Pearl Jam’ letters emblazoned on the cover. The other reason is I would like the guys to measure taller than a few inches to make the photograph appear bolder as an artistic statement. Just get me away from that original pink cover.

Vs: Gotta go with the cd foldout pack. I don’t know why all of the cds weren’t manufactured like this. Nevertheless, this marks the first in a long line of unique packaging for pearl jam. The cover itself matches perfectly with this collection of songs.

Vitalogy: For a long while, before I purchased the vinyl, I wrongly assumed it would be identical to its cd counterpart. I was a mite disappointed when I saw that wasn’t the case. Compact discs may be like bad acid, but they sure look prettier in this case.

No Code: Do I even need to say it? The vinyl is the winner, of course. I mean, duh! One of the best graphically designed records out there!

Yield: I really have no preference on this one. You’re really not missing out if you only have the cd. Unless you’re a firm believer in bigger = better.

Binaural: The visual aspects are better served with the vinyl. Its layout is more pleasing and the band photos have a better effect on the two vinyl jackets, rather than in the booklet that comes with the cd.

Riot Act: The sculpture that graces the cover has an epic, melancholy feel to it. This one is high-brow art, in my opinion. However, it is the first one since the ‘pink’ Ten that doesn’t really fit the musical content. Jeff had the idea for the cover during the initial stage of exchanging demo tapes, before the album really took shape. I can imagine the songs Jeff was inspired by included All or None, Goodbye, Otherside; along with older songs that may have been in the running (Fatal, Sad). Neither does the title match very well. The term ‘Riot Act’ would have been more fitting for the aggressive call-to-action heard on the self-titled album. But I digress. I do enjoy the different pose the vinyl has of the king and queen sculptures.

Pearl Jam: It’s an Avocado! I love it. The Ten Club cd edition stands out above the others. For one thing the blue gradation looks the best on it. But don’t just judge it by its cover. This is the first book since Vitalogy and it is used in a spectacular, original fashion. To have pop art on the surface, only to find the macabre, flesh-torn imagery on the inside is the perfect juxtaposition. But it only works when the cover is part of the book, held together by the same spine. Plus, the actual image on the disc is a picture of the avocado seed. I enjoy the metaphor of what that means, in terms of how the musical content can provoke the listener.

Backspacer: Not since No Code, has vinyl been the perfect showcase for album art. The central image that graces the cover of many pearl jam albums, like Binaural, Vitalogy, and the self-titled lends itself easily to the compact disc format. By contrast, the grid pattern of No Code and Backspacer begs to be seen as a record, first and foremost. In the past, I have been wary of cartoon artwork as the basis for album covers. So imagine my surprise as Backspacer turned out to be my favorite of all time! It’s dense and elegant. So many hidden findings to be found ;) Every portion of the standard album design is used to maximum effect; from the foldout to the booklet. The central theme is to express the very foundations of “Pearl Jam” as a creative entity. What more can you ask for. It even crosses over seamlessly into other mediums, whether as a T-shirt or the homepage of pearljam.com.

And the best non-studio album packaging goes to…. Benaroya Hall vinyl box set. No surprise there :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments