What is with the whole wine thing?

MattCam420MattCam420 Posts: 183
edited April 2010 in The Porch
I havent visited the boards in awhile and a friend and I were talking about the wine that Ed always drank onstage and he told me that it wasn't even real wine or something along those lines? Just looking for some clarification to settle an arugment. :D
"Music is the last true voice of the human spirit. It can go beyond language, beyond age, and beyond color straight to the mind and heart of all people." - Ben Harper
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• poto101poto101 Posts: 406
    http://www.feelnumb.com/?p=...&paged=15

Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam loves his wine. He always walks out on stage with his notebook in one hand and a bottle of wine in the other. In a recent interview in Rolling Stone magazine, Vedder was asked about the wine he drinks on stage. He only admitted it was red.

Q. What kind of wine do you like onstage? As long as it’s red?

A. As long as it’s red and there’s a spare in the back.

Q. What kind of grapes?

A. I can’t tell you; there’s a bit of variation there. On the first leg of our last tour, I had been drinking regular wine, but I got the good stuff for our last show, and I don’t know what kind of grapes they are but it’s twice as potent. I realized this about halfway through the show. It was a political fundraiser, so I was like, “Damn I really gotta sober up!”

We found out that his wine of preference is actually Siduri Van der Kamp Pinot Noir average price: $49.99 . The wine is sent to Vedder without labels.

Also, he often has bottles that say "To eddie...." on them, so they must be from a friend or some type of personal acquaintance.
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • MattCam420MattCam420 Posts: 183
    So there was indeed no water in it or something along that lines? I remember awhile back seeing someone post about that...Oh well, thanks.
    "Music is the last true voice of the human spirit. It can go beyond language, beyond age, and beyond color straight to the mind and heart of all people." - Ben Harper
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    MattCam420 wrote:
    So there was indeed no water in it or something along that lines? I remember awhile back seeing someone post about that...Oh well, thanks.

sometimes he'll have 2 identical bottles on stage and one is wine the other is water or gatorade
  • Not sure but after a day out in the hot sun at lolla 2007 the red wine I drank during crazy Mary was damn tasty! :)
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Only recently having got back into PJ, well last year & I'm a truly obsessed fan now(thinking tattoo atm... ;-) ...), I've gotta say I was stoked to see Ed drinking wine. I thought he/the boys would have been beer blokes, dunno why I thought that but honestly when I saw him drinking wine I thought yeah!! So, good for him & anyway he can drink whatever the hell he likes I say, mind you if he has 1 bottle wine & 1 of water while on stage sounds like a very good idea!
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    The bottle he gave me after the Letterman show certainly had wine in it.

letterman_stuff.jpg?t=1270898216
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    The bottle he gave me after the Letterman show certainly had wine in it.

letterman_stuff.jpg?t=1270898216
    nice :mrgreen:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    norm wrote:
    MattCam420 wrote:

sometimes he'll have 2 identical bottles on stage and one is wine the other is water or gatorade

I read this too. Makes sense.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,904
    norm wrote:
    MattCam420 wrote:

easy to spot the Gatorade in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip_Iodje ... re=related
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • norm wrote:
    Sounds like a neat way to avoid the teenage peer-pressure to drink and be cool. I used to just put some Robitussin in a wine bottle... ;)
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    He likes a Corona on stage too, betcha it gets damn thirsty up there on that stage. Wine is not a thirst quencher
    but it is a fine thing to share.
  • WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Posts: 4,307
    Here is; 2008 Siduri Pisoni Vineyard “Eddie’s Lot” Pinot Noir

Eddie was always very kind to us....always asking about our opinion of the grapes, about
    wine sales, about our family. He was simply a great guy and a good friend.
    It took us awhile, however, to put 2 and 2 together and realize that this special lot of Pisoni Pinot Noir was, in some unplanned way, a tribute to Eddie. We kept tasting the wine during its maturation and each time we did so, it became more and more clear to us that this wine should be something we bottled separately in Eddie's honor. We came up with a special label for the wine and then bottled it, without fining or filtration, as naturally as possible.
    Thus the 2008 Siduri Eddie's Lot Pisoni Vineyard Pinot Noir was born. We just bottled this wine, all 92 cases of it, and it is everything from bottle that it was from barrel and then some. Big, rich, commanding attention, full of flavor and personal-ity, with a long, lingering finish and very good levels of natural acidity. It is often said but less often true....this wine tastes good right away but we have no doubt that it will reward aging.

http://www.siduri.com/wines/current_notes.html

The Eddie they talk about isn THE EDDIE. Its Eddie Pisoni :D
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• airblue1airblue1 Posts: 404
    The best wine I have ever had came from Margerum in Los Olivos, Cali
    Hail To the Victors
    I refer to those in front...
  • ActionJackActionJack Posts: 137
    jordan wine is very expensive/delicious i like his taste.. wouldnt expect any less

I enjoy skinny-skiing, going to bullfights on acid...

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    norm wrote:
    MattCam420 wrote:

Wow, what a lameass thing to do. :roll:
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    Check Ed out during the second set... it's real wine, trust me.