don't hold yer breath for freebird!

JUKINJUKIN Posts: 102
edited April 2010 in The Porch
one show i was at mike played the first couple of lines of sweet home alabama and you should have seen the look on ed's face. its no secret he doesn't like the south or its music
jukin
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PJRock75PJRock75 Posts: 869
    The look EV threw out was probably due to the refference to Neil Young in that song ;)
    "If you want a friend, feed any animal." - JA
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,937
    Thread title fixed. :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • JUKINJUKIN Posts: 102
    thank you
    jukin
    JUKIN wrote:
    thank you
    Welcome. Unless you were trying to move up in seniority!! Then I fucked us both! :mrgreen::lol::lol:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PJ44PJ44 Posts: 153
    PJRock75 wrote:
    The look EV threw out was probably due to the refference to Neil Young in that song ;)

that line was actually in humor because of Young's Southern Man. Ronnie Van Zant was actually buried in a Neil Young T shirt, or so im told. he was a big fan of Neil
    PJ44
  • PJRock75PJRock75 Posts: 869
    PJ44 wrote:
    PJRock75 wrote:

that line was actually in humor because of Young's Southern Man. Ronnie Van Zant was actually buried in a Neil Young T shirt, or so im told. he was a big fan of Neil

So I've heard too (the t shirt story), but it was later discredited. He was a fan of Neil's though, but the line wasn't written in humor but more in defense to Southern Man.
    "If you want a friend, feed any animal." - JA
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    JUKIN wrote:
    one show i was at mike played the first couple of lines of sweet home alabama and you should have seen the look on ed's face. its no secret he doesn't like the south or its music

I was at this show. it was in camden, nj in 1998. they played the opening chord of sweet home alabama and ed said, 'you don't want to hear that shit'.

I think they did it for a reaction. maybe neil young was there

I put this in that other freebird thread. there is a better chance of PJ covering a creed song than a skynyrd song
  • they'll never play it, but they should. i want to see PJ unleash the triple guitar solo!
  • PJ44 wrote:
    PJRock75 wrote:

Common mistake, they wrote Sweet Home Alabama not response to Southern Man but rather Alabama which is on the album Harvest. Alabama condones and puts down the south 10x worse than Southern Man.
    Shows Attended
    2008 - Bonnaroo
    2009 - Chicago 1
    2010 - St Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis, Washington D.C
    2011 - Pearl Jam Twenty Festival
    2012 - Music Midtown Festival
    2013 - Wrigley, Dallas, Oklahoma City
    2014 - St. Louis, Memphis
    2016- Greenville, Lexington, Bonnaroo, Wrigley 1
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Ed attacked (verbally) the poor guy who yelled out "play Freebird" at Ed's Nashville solo show.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    Nobody is holding their breath for Freebird because we're pretty realistic in our thinking. If I remember from the Ed solo shows he didn't react any worse to the Freebird shout than he did to all the other more annoying ones like, I love you Eddie, and the people who never gave him a chance to speak simply because they liked the sound of their own voice better. The request is serious but also tongue in cheek and with a pinch of hope. You can't put a black cloud over a bit of fun surely? Have a little sense of adventure and put your words to more positive use like bumping the thread itself. Have a nice day friends. :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    he he....i love when u make this bigger....talk about it more....even negative....
    Ed loves music,he is not a hater of south ........
    anyway i love this band and i know there is not a chance of see it live from the band,but i still believe
    ed voice will make it greatest and Mike will blow my mind with solo..cheers to all :D

p.s.
    and the right tittle is
    Sweet smoke Marihuana .not sweet home alabama ;) ..atleast this is how we call it here... 8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • around here its "Fuck You, Alabama". actually, thats pretty much the title anywhere in the south except the state of Alabama because everyone hates the football team.

maybe they could play that version.
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    JUKIN wrote:

You wanna think that over?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1IcfVEo4Bk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creedence_clearwater

The group consisted of lead vocalist, lead guitarist, and primary songwriter John Fogerty, his brother and rhythm guitarist Tom Fogerty, bassist Stu Cook, and drummer Doug Clifford. Their musical style encompassed rock and roll and swamp rock genres. Despite their San Francisco Bay Area origins, they are sometimes also cited as southern rock stylists.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • JUKINJUKIN Posts: 102
    i live in the south and love everything about it. i also have seen pj in the nawth and i can tell you its just as beautiful and full of the best human beings on the planet. i am fortunate to have met and shared some great times with ppl at pj shows. thats why me and jim will be at deer creek and bristow in a few weeks. cant wait and wish we could hit more shows. love it when that concert magic kicks in! the reason i commented about freebird and ed's taste, which i admit i have no right to do so, was first hand observasion of the look on his face when mike played those licks, if looks could kill.... being close to the front at some shows does have an enhanced effect , oh yeah! plus look at the small liner notes on live on two legs about raleigh pd to leave those kids alone, btw thank you ed for speaking up you were right . and i have read interviews with the band which alluded to the subject. ed and the boys are very talented and i know they respect talent when they hear it, look at the booklet pics on rearveiw mirror g hits i do believe thats a poster of stevie ray vaughn on the wall southern boy? one of the best things about this bands fans is either you get it or you dont and they do , i feel sorry for those who dont. cant wait to hang with yall at the shows. down south would be cool
    jukin
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    JUKIN wrote:
    i live in the south and love everything about it. i also have seen pj in the nawth and i can tell you its just as beautiful and full of the best human beings on the planet. i am fortunate to have met and shared some great times with ppl at pj shows. thats why me and jim will be at deer creek and bristow in a few weeks. cant wait and wish we could hit more shows. love it when that concert magic kicks in! the reason i commented about freebird and ed's taste, which i admit i have no right to do so, was first hand observasion of the look on his face when mike played those licks, if looks could kill.... being close to the front at some shows does have an enhanced effect , oh yeah! plus look at the small liner notes on live on two legs about raleigh pd to leave those kids alone, btw thank you ed for speaking up you were right . and i have read interviews with the band which alluded to the subject. ed and the boys are very talented and i know they respect talent when they hear it, look at the booklet pics on rearveiw mirror g hits i do believe thats a poster of stevie ray vaughn on the wall southern boy? one of the best things about this bands fans is either you get it or you dont and they do , i feel sorry for those who dont. cant wait to hang with yall at the shows. down south would be cool
    after JUKIN post i think all u out there get it.....nice post JUKIN i hope i meet u one day :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    JUKIN wrote:
    It's not Ed, It's Jeff who is the hold up :o . Remember Atlanta? Sorry Jeff. :mrgreen:

• SOLAT319 wrote:
    JUKIN wrote:

You wanna think that over?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1IcfVEo4Bk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creedence_clearwater

The group consisted of lead vocalist, lead guitarist, and primary songwriter John Fogerty, his brother and rhythm guitarist Tom Fogerty, bassist Stu Cook, and drummer Doug Clifford. Their musical style encompassed rock and roll and swamp rock genres. Despite their San Francisco Bay Area origins, they are sometimes also cited as southern rock stylists.
    KoL or MMJ might be a better example of southern rock than CCR. but Eddie likes them all i guess.