Oi YOU - be grateful!!

topaztopaz Posts: 301
edited April 2010 in The Porch
In every other circumstance bar this, I love being a kiwi from New Zealand. Indeed, it's a beautiful place, one that I love very much. However, I lament the fact that Pearl Jam have only played here 3 times...ever. And I'm wondering if you guys in the US (and surrounding) know just how lucky you are?? Just take a moment to mull that one over...they have been here three.measly.times. 3! As you may have seen when they announced their BS tour last year, we had an excrutiating eleven year wait between gigs last time. Eleven years! My non-PJ mates thought I was crazy for going to both Aucks and Chch concerts (different islands, same weekend), and I sure as hell couldn't afford it at the time, but oh I'm sooooo glad I did it, Christchurch.... ahhh memorieeees (cold, rainy, ecstatic memories...)

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: if you are lucky enough to be catching PJ any time this year it is your DUTY to be grateful! And to rock out extra hard for us down here, who better not be waiting another eleven bloody years between concerts! Especially when they play In My Tree. Cause it's my favourite. (yes, Christchurch, thank you).

Rant over. I'm now going to cease getting so jealous looking at the upcoming tour schedule and relating threads, cause I know you guys are going to reprezent the kiwi contingent ;)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    topaz wrote:
    And to rock out extra hard for us down here
    Will do! :twisted:
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    topaz wrote:
    In every other circumstance bar this, I love being a kiwi from New Zealand. Indeed, it's a beautiful place, one that I love very much. However, I lament the fact that Pearl Jam have only played here 3 times...ever. And I'm wondering if you guys in the US (and surrounding) know just how lucky you are?? Just take a moment to mull that one over...they have been here three.measly.times. 3! As you may have seen when they announced their BS tour last year, we had an excrutiating eleven year wait between gigs last time. Eleven years! My non-PJ mates thought I was crazy for going to both Aucks and Chch concerts (different islands, same weekend), and I sure as hell couldn't afford it at the time, but oh I'm sooooo glad I did it, Christchurch.... ahhh memorieeees (cold, rainy, ecstatic memories...)

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: if you are lucky enough to be catching PJ any time this year it is your DUTY to be grateful! And to rock out extra hard for us down here, who better not be waiting another eleven bloody years between concerts! Especially when they play In My Tree. Cause it's my favourite. (yes, Christchurch, thank you).

Rant over. I'm now going to cease getting so jealous looking at the upcoming tour schedule and relating threads, cause I know you guys are going to reprezent the kiwi contingent ;)

You're right dude. When I saw them for the first time in '06 they hadn't been to Europe for 6 years. Not even close to your wait, and luckily they've been coming over here a lot more since then. And I count my blessings every day.
    The Yanks don't know how good they have it. I've been to 2 American shows too since then actually, and the atmosphere is never as good. I think PJ need to starve the US for a while :P
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • it isn't so much about luck as it is LOCATION!!!!!!!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,695
    So whats the population of New Zealand again?
    How easy is it for the band to travel there with all its equipment?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    Poncier wrote:
    So whats the population of New Zealand again?
    How easy is it for the band to travel there with all its equipment?

I'm not sure that's the point of this thread.

I got a vibe akin to: "Be grateful for what you've got cuz not everyone's got it" as opposed to a "I want I want I want gimme gimme gimme these guys are jerks for not coming here!"

While I'm sure your reasoned arguments explaining why our kiwi friend gets skipped over most tours are solid, I question their necessity when weighed against pissing on said kiwi's mostly positive attitude.

Thanks for playing. :)
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,695
    I wasn't "pissing" on anyone's attitude there pal, just kind of putting out a viable explanation to the "only 3 times ever" fact.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,092
    Poncier wrote:
    I wasn't "pissing" on anyone's attitude there pal, just kind of putting out a viable explanation to the "only 3 times ever" fact.
    They did hit Australia twice during that time though. I'd think it's cheaper/easier to get to Auckland from the East coast of Australia than to get over to Perth. There's nearly 4.5 million people in NZ, about twice that of the whole of the left side of Australia (Perth and Auckland population are around the same I guess).
  • topaztopaz Posts: 301
    Hey yea I totally understand the "why"'s of PJ not coming here a lot. I'm just trying to make sure people that get to see them at least once a year know how sweet they got it. And trying to work through my rather late hitting post-concert depression (five months later! Is that some kind of record??).

The question still remains....why didn't I get a poster at Christchurch....I am a fool
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    topaz wrote:

Well, lets assume that they have played NZ every single year and tickets average $80 per ticket. That would really add up. Maybe you can take the money that you would have spent on seeing them annually and take a trip to Europe or North America to see them? Just a thought.

And it is not my duty to be grateful. I paid $80 a ticket to go to each of the 4 Philly shows (and countless other shows). The band should be grateful for me, not the other way around.
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    topaz wrote:

Well, lets assume that they have played NZ every single year and tickets average $80 per ticket. That would really add up. Maybe you can take the money that you would have spent on seeing them annually and take a trip to Europe or North America to see them? Just a thought.

And it is not my duty to be grateful. I paid $80 a ticket to go to each of the 4 Philly shows (and countless other shows). The band should be grateful for me, not the other way around.

Probably because you'd still have to save up for a few years to afford the trip - have you ever flown to New Zealand before? At US$80 a year, you'd be able to afford one trip to Europe every 10 years or so.
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
    Hmmm...how about we just be reciprocally grateful? I'm sure they appreciate us as fans. And I'm sure that at least 80% of the fans are grateful for the opportunity to see a live act like PJ on a regular basis. Right? Cause that's what I'm getting at - being appreciative of the good things in life, I'm not suggesting we all kiss PJ's asses just because they come to our hometown to play.

And even if I estimated $80 for 20 years, it wouldn't even come close to paying for my flight! The thing is, (which is why I have my no PJ problem in the first place) we're kinda a long way away from the US and Europe. They call Aussie 'down under' and we're even further away...but yes, don't worry, I often price it all up and dream about seeing them in Seattle, or Philly, or Italy. Not such a reality, but dreams are free.

And at least they came last year!! How pissed would we have been if theyd stopped at Aus again and not made the final effort.
    Poncier wrote:

It's not THAT viable when you consider they played 26 shows in Australia between New Zealand gigs. Auckland is 1340 miles from Sydney, whereas Perth is 2000 miles from Sydney - and Perth got 3 of Australia's 26 gigs. It was a long time between drinks for us Kiwis :cry:
  • im greatful im about to see MMJ twice in New Orleans soon!
    topaz wrote:

I'm a Kiwi living in the States, and I don't think you're nuts at all. I saw them when they played Auckland in '95 and '98 and freaking loved it. Then I moved to the States and figured I'd get to see them every year... and I haven't seen them since. I'll be seeing them in a few weeks in New Orleans though, and I'm pumped. I'll do my best to represent the Kiwis who can't make it, and I'll try my hardest to not strange the wankers who say "Oh no, not Even Flow agaaaaaaaaaaain" :lol:

And look on the bright side - we don't get many visits from them, but we still get to call New Zealand home 8-)
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    I'm a Kiwi living in the States, and I don't think you're nuts at all. I saw them when they played Auckland in '95 and '98 and freaking loved it. Then I moved to the States and figured I'd get to see them every year... and I haven't seen them since. I'll be seeing them in a few weeks in New Orleans though, and I'm pumped. I'll do my best to represent the Kiwis who can't make it, and I'll try my hardest to not strange the wankers who say "Oh no, not Even Flow agaaaaaaaaaaain" :lol:

And look on the bright side - we don't get many visits from them, but we still get to call New Zealand home 8-)

Those '95 concerts were crazy huh? I was just reminiscing about the one I went to, the first PJ concert ever in NZ, in that mad supertop tent! We saw PJ play in a tent! he he. They have finally taken the supertop down now.
    Yes! Rock it for us in New Orleans! Make sure you post afterwards in the live section so we can share a piece of your glory ha ha. And yeah, I do know how lucky we are to call this place home. Glad to see you know where your home is!
  • edibervanedibervan Posts: 243
    I second the idea of the thread.
    At least the idea I've got from it...
    It's not about who deserves it or not, it's about being able to look at the oportunities you have and just accept them with gratitude!

The band only came once to my country. It was the first time I've been able to see them live, something I've been not only expecting, but DREAMING since november/1991.

Nevertheless, I am trully and wholeheartedly grateful I could save almost every cent for FOUR LONG YEARS since then and had the chance to check them back again last year when I travelled to the US and Canada.

I am trully grateful I decided NOT TO buy fancy cars, NOT TO spend on any vacation, to finally be able to travel and get to see them after long years...

(and after four years saving, mind you... not four years "deciding which gig to attend, this tour or the next? this city or the other just 200miles from my home? Los Angeles, San Diego or San Francisco this time? New York or New Jersey, for Matt Cameron's sake!!!") ;)

Most of all, I am grateful the band didn't break up and didn't just ended somehow in these years I've been waiting for a chance. I am grateful they are still running and going along, because, unlike many of you here, I do have to work very very hard to see them, whilst some lucky fellows just have to take the car or subway and go... every 10 or 12 months, if not less!!!!!

While it is a no-brainer that any american citizen was able, at least in theory, to check several other gigs in the same time, spending A LOT LESS than me, I am grateful I still can do it! So I guess you guys can feel something like it too, for you can do it with less trouble than me, right?
    :)
    just because you breathe it doesn't mean you're alive...
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    There are trade-offs in life and this certainly seems to be one of them for you. You get to live in a beautiful place but no frequent PJ visits. I am originally from the Mediterranean Coast of Turkey but live in Nor-Cal. Recently passed a great opportunity for a good job position there. If I didn't admit this was one of the reasons, I'd be lying. And no, I don't give a fuck if people thought I was crazy to pass the opportunity. There are a few things in life that makes me as happy as seeing them live so I totally understand what you are saying. If any consolation though I thought Christchurch show was the BEST of the entire Aussie/NZ leg. I don't think anyone else got anything as nearly good as what you guys got. Setlist and poster. And seriously dude, how did you not get that poster??
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
    edibervan wrote:
    I second the idea of the thread.
    At least the idea I've got from it...
    It's not about who deserves it or not, it's about being able to look at the oportunities you have and just accept them with gratitude!:)

Yes, exactly! Thanks for helping clarify my sometimes muddy thoughts :) And here I am complaining (well, trying not to complain but you know) and, if I'm getting this correct, PJ have only been to your place once? In 1991???? Is this really true?! That trip must have been amaz-ing for you last year. Very inspirational story for me! I gotta toughen up and start saving.
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    There are trade-offs in life and this certainly seems to be one of them for you. You get to live in a beautiful place but no frequent PJ visits. I am originally from the Mediterranean Coast of Turkey but live in Nor-Cal. Recently passed a great opportunity for a good job position there. If I didn't admit this was one of the reasons, I'd be lying. And no, I don't give a fuck if people thought I was crazy to pass the opportunity. There are a few things in life that makes me as happy as seeing them live so I totally understand what you are saying. If any consolation though I thought Christchurch show was the BEST of the entire Aussie/NZ leg. I don't think anyone else got anything as nearly good as what you guys got. Setlist and poster. And seriously dude, how did you not get that poster??

I know!! I literally blew every last dollar I had getting the ticket and flight down to Christchurch. Still, in retrospect, I should have begged borrowed or stolen enough for a poster. But you are absolutely right, it is a huge consolation that I can add both Auckland and Ch ch to my repertoire, both concerts were amazing for me, Auckland because of my premium spot (mikes side, great view, miraculous for someone 5ft2") and yes, Chch cause of that amazing setlist, performance and guest list.
  • I stopped reading after you used the word lament.
  • edibervanedibervan Posts: 243
    topaz wrote:
    and, if I'm getting this correct, PJ have only been to your place once? In 1991???? Is this really true?! That trip must have been amaz-ing for you last year. Very inspirational story for me! I gotta toughen up and start saving.
    No, no!!
    :P
    I´ve been a fan since december 1991, Ten was the first CD I´ve ever bought myself!
    Pearl Jam played this one time only in my country long after that, in 2005!
    So... it´s been a dream from 91 to 05 (14 years) and then an expectation waiting to be filled from 05 to 09, when I finally saved enough to go see them yet again, but faaaaaar from home because, as yourself, I can´t seem to get them to visit me more often...
    ;)
    And yet, again as yourself, I am FULLY grateful I still got these chances!
    Kudos to the americans who don´t have to suffer this much... and can also be as grateful as ourselves or even more! :D
    just because you breathe it doesn't mean you're alive...
    I stopped reading after you used the word lament.

such a shame, means you missed outon my other various literary disasters like contingent, excrutiating (complete with bad spellin) reprazent, and lets not forget i mentioned pj's asses. lamentations on, dawgs