Options

Official South Park thread

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    Newch91 wrote:
    Maybe I'm just being cynical but last nights episode was shit. ;)
    :lol:

Is it just me with last night's episode that the end of South Park is near? I know this was the mid-season finale.

I think this might be the last season. They have two years left on their contract but have notihng left to give to this show creatively. I don't think Comedy Central will be too harsh on Matt and Trey with renegotiating because Comedy Central probably wouldn't even exist today if not for Matt and Trey. Like Brett Favre's career or Keith Richards life.....all good things must come to an end. Good news though. If this next half-season is really the last...they might actually TRY to make it good!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Newch91 wrote:

Is it just me with last night's episode that the end of South Park is near? I know this was the mid-season finale.
    Does kind of look that way. My son says he read that Matt and Trey are tired of doing it. I'm hoping if that is true they find someone who can actually carry the torch for them and continue.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Sharon's speech at the end made me realize the end is probably near, talking about how it's the same thing every week. I don't remember the exact quote.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Does kind of look that way. My son says he read that Matt and Trey are tired of doing it. I'm hoping if that is true they find someone who can actually carry the torch for them and continue.
    I love your avatar.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I was a little confused by it. Well, just the end. I can't tell if they were trying to send a message of the fact that they're tired of doing the show or what. And I don't know if the ending was just a parody of overly-dramatic season finale shows, or if they were actually trying to say something.

I read that Matt and Trey are under contract to do South Park until 2013, so I wouldn't think this would be the end, unless they plan on getting out of their contract. As it stands, the show is supposed to be back in October. I bet that they come back in October and the Marsh family still lives in South Park, and it was like none of that ever happened. The fact that the end of the episode was such a bummer makes me think that it was just parody, because I can't imagine Matt and Trey actually getting that dramatic with the show. If it was parody, it wasn't a very funny parody. I think it's just another joke they're playing on the fans.

If that was the end, it would be a bad end for the show. South Park deserves to go out with a bang, not an overly dramatic montage set to Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide".
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    It's not the end of the season, there's till seven more episodes to go in the fall. I saw it as a commentary at the negativity that the South Park writers have received in terms of a "decline" in quality these last few seasons. Instead of laughing and focusing on what is good about the show, people will nitpick at every possible chance. This mirrors Stan seeing everything as "shit" and only focusing on the downside of everything. I actually think that episode was quite excellent and the ending was actually rather emotional for a show that usually parodies that kind of thing.

This entire season has felt a lot darker to me. The kids are getting older and starting to realize how the world actually is. As ridiculous and funny as it was, the whole "Slash not being real" thing could sort of symbolize this. Stan in particular has been odd this season, considering his almost uncaring reaction to Kyle becoming involved in the "crack baby" scam and the fact that he knew that Slash wasn't real the whole time. Couple that with this past episode and I think Stan essentially stands for the fans of the show, who saw the show grow up from its less sophisticated roots to more of a social commentary and are now speaking out against it. I'm very interested to see what they do with Stan in the next seven episodes. I don't know if this is the final season but they kind of laid the groundwork for that to be possible. I know I'm probably over-analyzing but Matt and Trey are a lot more clever writers than people give them credit for.
  • Options
    tcaporale wrote:
    It's not the end of the season, there's till seven more episodes to go in the fall. I saw it as a commentary at the negativity that the South Park writers have received in terms of a "decline" in quality these last few seasons. Instead of laughing and focusing on what is good about the show, people will nitpick at every possible chance. This mirrors Stan seeing everything as "shit" and only focusing on the downside of everything. I actually think that episode was quite excellent and the ending was actually rather emotional for a show that usually parodies that kind of thing.

This entire season has felt a lot darker to me. The kids are getting older and starting to realize how the world actually is. As ridiculous and funny as it was, the whole "Slash not being real" thing could sort of symbolize this. Stan in particular has been odd this season, considering his almost uncaring reaction to Kyle becoming involved in the "crack baby" scam and the fact that he knew that Slash wasn't real the whole time. Couple that with this past episode and I think Stan essentially stands for the fans of the show, who saw the show grow up from its less sophisticated roots to more of a social commentary and are now speaking out against it. I'm very interested to see what they do with Stan in the next seven episodes. I don't know if this is the final season but they kind of laid the groundwork for that to be possible. I know I'm probably over-analyzing but Matt and Trey are a lot more clever writers than people give them credit for.
    That was a really good insight to it. I feel like I have to go back and watch this half of the season again to get what you're saying.
  • Options
    tcaporale wrote:
    I know I'm probably over-analyzing but Matt and Trey are a lot more clever writers than people give them credit for.

I don't think anyone disputes that they're clever writers. I think the complaint from most fans is that they've become very lazy with South Park over the past few years. It could be due in large part to the creation of The Book Of Mormon sapping a lot of their time, energy, and creative juices. When they're inspired, South Park can still be good. The 200th episode was an example of this. Even the Coon Trilogy, while silly at times, was at least a focused effort. But some episodes, even ones with good premises, seem written in some sort of "haste" as if to say "Here's this week's South Park, whatever." In fact, the Adam Sandler/Jim Carrey movie trailers in the latest episode could be representative of what South Park has become. I remember Trey once saying how he felt a season of South Park was "like an album and each episode was a song". I think he'd agree at this point that many of his latest "albums" have been packed with filler-junk.

I think that South Park will end this year after the 2nd run of this season. But I think the remaining episodes will be brilliant. They've planted the seeds of a season "arc" with the Marsh divorce/Cartman and Kyle friendship and I'm very interested to see where it goes. And even if they do end South Park, it's not like they can't just bring it back someday if they feel inspired or simply want to comment on something. It's just a cartoon.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Yeah, I think part of the problem is that they're just not as inspired to make the show as they once were. They pretty much blatantly said it during the Randy/Sharon breakup dialogue near the end. Really, it's hard to blame them, they've been doing it for a while and it's gotta take a lot out of them.

Still, I think the episode last night was by far the best of the season. Well, the first half of the season. The movie previews were very funny - "Rated ARG for Pirates, fuck you!"
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Newch91 wrote:
    Sharon's speech at the end made me realize the end is probably near, talking about how it's the same thing every week. I don't remember the exact quote.

I was thinking the same thing. I had a feeling they were hinting at something as opposed to just wrapping up the episode in a deep way.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Newch91 wrote:
    tcaporale wrote:

That was a really good insight to it. I feel like I have to go back and watch this half of the season again to get what you're saying.

Wow, that is a pretty great insight on the show at this point. Well said tcaporale!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    This season has been miserable IMO. Except for one quality episode, it's been horrible.

I think Matt, Trey and the writers still have good ideas...but I feel the execution of the idea is what is failing.
    Like last night, the whole "new generation of music sounds like shit", and as you get older the cynicism of life makes you also see the world as being shitty. That in and of itself is a good concept for an episode...i just think it played out poorly. The smartness and the creativity that has made this show last as long as it has, is clearly not there anymore.

I love South Park, but I really hope this is the last season.
  • Options
    tcaporale wrote:
    Yeah, I think part of the problem is that they're just not as inspired to make the show as they once were. They pretty much blatantly said it during the Randy/Sharon breakup dialogue near the end. Really, it's hard to blame them, they've been doing it for a while and it's gotta take a lot out of them.

Still, I think the episode last night was by far the best of the season. Well, the first half of the season. The movie previews were very funny - "Rated ARG for Pirates, fuck you!"

Check out this interview with Matt and Trey:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/w ... ker-171189

I too get the feeling they are just sick of making the show. And who can blame them? This quote was very telling:

“South Park is way bigger than either of us,” he says. “And it’s this curse, and when we are doing it, I hate it. I’m pissed off and I’m tired, and every single Tuesday I say, ‘This is the worst show we’ve ever done!’ It’s brutal. But it’s something I am a part of that’s bigger than I am. That’s what most important.”

And now with their Broadway show, which has apparently been very tiring, I'm sure it's even worse. And the interview says that they didn't even do their normal two weeks of prep and 5 day writers retreat that they do before every season. They just went straight into it, and cranked out a half season because they're obligated to.

They have other stuff they want to do, always have, but I think it's gotten to the point that South Park is a chore for them. And that last episode flat out said so. I read one review that called it "The beginning of the end" and a "break-up letter to the fans". And that seems about right. Maybe during the hiatus they'll work on creating a great final 7 episodes, and end the show properly.

As a fan from the first episode I can't really get excited over it anymore. Where South Park used to be appointment television, I usually don't even watch it until a few days later on the DVR. I didn't even know a new season was about to start until I had a few episodes already stacked up on the DVR. If it's hard for a fan to get excited, who has to do nothing more than watch the show, I can imagine that working on it is no treat either. Especially when they have other stuff going on.

All good things must end, and if their hearts aren't in it anymore, then it would probably be best for the show if they just went ahead and wrapped it up. This past season hasn't been very good, because they just cranked it out in 2 months so they could get back to their Broadway show. I don't think the show has been consistently funny since Season 9 back in '05. There have been funny episodes, but not a whole season I would call funny.
  • Options
    tcaporale wrote:
    WE DIDN'T LISTEN!!!
    #FHP
  • Options
    I think with the "Book of Mormon" taking over a lot of their time, I think they should maybe a take year off, rest from all the commotion and stress that the play has taken on them, and refresh their minds to the show.

According to Wikipedia, it says "Part 1" next to last night's episode title.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    The President of the United States........IS A DUCK??

And the whole country is going to the dogs......

Or the President's a dog? Whatever!

Coming in JUNE

south-park-duck-dog-president.jpg?w=500
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,957
    finally got caught up with South Park. I missed like the last 5 episodes :oops:

Also finally caught HumancentIpad which was pretty funny.

TMI- was ok, had it's moments, mainly with Randy Marsh :lol:
    Crack baby episode was meh. The whole Slash not being real and the song was pretty funny though
    City Sushi was also ok and had it's moments with Butters
    You're Getting Too Old- was the best out of those 4 i thought. Randy once again stole most of the scenes with Steamy Ray Vaughn shit and everythign else sounding liek shit was pretty much spot on especially the movies :roll:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    359779-medicinal_fried_chicken.jpg

this episode was one tonight, :lol:

I think new season starts in Oct.?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options

:lol::lol::lol:

That's a classic episode. I literally Lol'd when I saw that picture.

And I think you're correct about the October start.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Oct. 5th for South Park :thumbup:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Oct. 5th for South Park :thumbup:
    :D

Very soon. I hope this isn't the end.
  • Options
    Matt and Trey signed a new contract I think another 4 years. Not sure though.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Get ready for part 2 of Season 15 on Wednesday! :D
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Newch91 wrote:

I am curious to see where they go with the 2nd half of this season
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

I am curious to see where they go with the 2nd half of this season
    Me too. I guess the first episode is called "Ass Burgers".
  • Options
    season premiere tonight :D
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

The only clip from this season that I've seen was Cartman telling somebody who looked like a nurse that his "buns hurt" or something like that, he was laying on his stomach on a table and she pulled a hamburger either out of the back of his pants or out of his ass (I couldn't tell), so I guess that clip came from this episode. I really have no clue what that's about though.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

The only clip from this season that I've seen was Cartman telling somebody who looked like a nurse that his "buns hurt" or something like that, he was laying on his stomach on a table and she pulled a hamburger either out of the back of his pants or out of his ass (I couldn't tell), so I guess that clip came from this episode. I really have no clue what that's about though.
    Yeah, I saw the same clip.
  • Options
    season premiere tonight :D
    Can't wait! Modern Family then South Park. I like Wednesday's.