just spent an entire week media free

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
i am in the middle of reading the artists way and love it. anyways, i just moments ago finished week 4, and week 4 consisted of spending an entire week, free of internet, tv, reading of any kind, and my own cd collection. The internet and tv and music part was surprisingly easy, i didnt wake up in cold sweats wanting to check pitchfork or to watch tv at 2 am. but the reading part was tough and I went on tantrums as the author calls them. I would check my e-mails for jobs every once in awhile, since I figured being away from the job search for a week wasnt the best of ideas, but didnt read any non job e-mails. I read the classifieds, but didnt read any other part of the paper. I was in someone elses car, and they had the radio on, so I couldnt do much about that, and i volunteer at a preschool and had to read to some kids, so again, that was out of my hands, its part of my job there. Overall, i found it stunning how much reading we do in our lives. Even just taking a walk, I was inundated with signs and billboards, and store signs and all that. it was hard not to read them, and sometimes I slipped up, and did read them.

The point of the exercise was the idea that we all spend most of our week inundated with alot of stuff we probably dont need media wise, and additionally, we spend most of our week, most of us at least, around other peoples art, words, thoughts, images, and not our own. To let our own creative artist out, requires shutting out those things and letting your own voice let itself known. Many times I did find myself, sort of sitting around, this week, sort of wondering, what should I be doing? Let me tell you, when you cant watch tv, go online, listen to music or read, the day, literally becomes twice as long. that can be daunting and scary, but I did a ton of things. I cleaned up my apartment. I cleaned my closet and got rid of clothes I didnt need. I took longer walks, something I had been slacking in reguards to recently. The sights and sounds of the city and my own world sort of became known. I rearranged my furniture, moved my bed here, moved my stereo there, moved my drawers over there. My mom is and my grandmother was, avid rug hookers, they make/made rugs. sort of like knitting and sewing, anyways, I learned that skill and did my own little house rug thing. pretty cool. its alot more time consuming than you assume, and it was actually fun. Most of all, i let my own thoughts and voice guide me. For years now, I have been haunted by this want to create through art, the feeling of summers eve at my grandparents pool, of summer ending, of what it feels like to be me at 26, what it feels like to have a band change ones life, and I in the past would bemoan the fact I couldnt and didnt know how to do it. this week, I actually took concrete steps in trying to convey my inner feelings on those things and out them into creative form. I drew, which is something if you know me, and tried to represent what i felt on paper, into drawings. Pretty awesome feeling.

Anyways, my week of media deprivation just ended, so I just wanted to post about it... Anyone else do anything similar in the past? Similar experiences? Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    interesting.

I'm not a gadget junkie, nor do I spend considerable time doing any one particular thing, other than watching baseball :)

I do however, enjoy reading the news

I would probably miss that
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    can't say as i have ever done that.

way back in the day i only had 4 tv stations and no internet and rarely red the newspaper.

i didn't really do artsy stuff, just hung out with friends more and smoked more weed. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I do this at least once a year on vacation. I spend my time out in nature, with my family and I love it!
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown