"LOVE FOR THUMBING MY WAY" thread

nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
edited April 2010 in The Porch
Was just listening to Thumbing My Way and felt the need to post . . . .

I feel that this song does NOT get enough love from PJ fans . . . not sure why. Not that it's a bad thing, everyone has their own opinions, but I thought that more people would LOVE this song as much as I do. And they have not played it since November of 2006 as of today . . . . :(

It's absolutely gorgeous. One of my top 10 fave PJ songs for sure..... have ALWAYS loved it.

So here's my little plug for this song and hope that others agree!!! Some vids for your enjoyment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S1Rh0MQSdA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls2DzfAesfE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yDPNAIKi5c (first time they played it live)
Barrie 08/22/98
Montreal 10/04/00
Toronto 10/05/00
Toronto 06/28/03
Kitchener 09/11/05
Ottawa 09/16/05
Toronto 08/21/09
Toronto 09/11/11
Ottawa 09/14/11
Buffalo 10/12/13
Ottawa 05/08/16
Chicago 08/20/18
Ottawa 09/03/22
Nashville 09/16/22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rawpixelsrawpixels Posts: 912
    Great song! Also, we need to hear All Or None this tour!!!
    One man stands alone awaiting
    for her to come home
    eyes upon the horizon
    in the dark before the
    darkness leaves the dawn
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    one of my favorite lines ever: "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    "I wish that I could hold you... I wish that I had." That line gets me every time. Love TMW.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • DB41DB41 Posts: 539
    LukinFan wrote:
    one of my favorite lines ever: "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"

Co-sign.
  • pj.uw.laurapj.uw.laura Posts: 553
    One of my favorites! I hope they play it in STL. One on my "never heard it live" list.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    "There's no right or wrong but I'm sure there is good and bad
    the questions linger overhead.

I so believe these lines

there is no right or wrong when something is done in ignorance or without insight
    but there is good and bad that which is done with motive pure or evil
    the answer lies in our heaven which is in our hearts we need but ask

well thats my interpretation
  • cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    great song, one of the highlights of a great great record :)
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    The part about paying attention to only certain signs and ignoring certain ones on our on our paths is very deep of course.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    great song; "I can't be free with what's locked inside of me...."

"There's no wrong or right, but I'm sure theres good and bad"
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • LukinFan wrote:

if i had a dollar for every time someone used that as their FB status update i'd have more $ than the fucking band does!! :lol::lol::lol:

and oh yeah....RIOT ACT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
  • This song was the reason I bought Riot Act, the first CD I ever bought. It deserves more love.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Yes!!!!!!!!
  • LucanLucan Posts: 104
    Is the standout from Riot Act.

I read somewhere way back when that the song was "harder" and EV brainstormed it with Liam Finn who suggested it be stripped back. Is there any truth to that story?
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    Love it!!!!!
  • FeiracoFeiraco Posts: 255
    TMW is definitely a great, great song and in my personal Top 10!
    I've noticed too that it has been treated badly here. That's fine, as we all have opinions.
    Rotterdam 2000 (CANCELLED) | Arnhem 2006 | Rotterdam 2009 | Berlin 2009 | Arras 2010 | Amsterdam-1 2012 | Amsterdam-2 2012 | EV Amsterdam-1 2012 | EV Amsterdam-2 2012 | Amsterdam-1 2014 | Amsterdam-2 2014 | EV Amsterdam-2 2017 | EV Amsterdam-3 2017
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    This song is just beautiful. Every line in this song is amazing. I think this can be seen as a preview of what was to come in Eddie's songwriting direction and a preview of what Into the Wild would become, although this was five years before ITW.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    LOVE LOVE LOVE that song. If that song comes into my head out of the blue, I think my Grandpa, who I never met, and never will in this life, is trying to say hello. Great song for bonding with relatives on the other side.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • watching the performance from LATG, it really showcases many of the talents of the band, matt's jazz work, jeff's upright bass work, and ed's ability to write sweet chord progressions
    E. Rutherford 6/03/06
    Camden 6/19/08
    Newark 5/18/10
    MSG 5/20/10
    MSG 5/21/10
    Brian (Staten Island): Does Boom even speak to you guys?

SportsNation Jeff Ament: (6:42 PM ET ) we can only speak to Boom when spoken to...