Sad

Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
edited April 2010 in The Porch
So I was just watching one of my many playlists on youtube and reading comments. And 'Sad' plays. People ripped this song appart in some of thier comments. I don't get it. although it is a b-side and didn't make the cut for an album this song is none the less amazing. Especially live. Just an all around beautiful song.

Can't believe people don't like this song. I guess its just too much of an experimental Pearl Jam for them. Oh well...fuck them. Here it is, enjoy it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=413vE6TA ... 8&index=25
Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,029
    I have said this before, Sad should have been the first single off Binaural. It is one of their greatest songs & i have been lucky to hear it live. Dont think this one was experimental at all, fairly straight forward song musically some beautiful sounds from Mike & great lyrics. Maybe a reason it was not released or even put on the album was it was the type of song they were trying to get away from.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • Who cares? That's what sucks about youtube is that any 12 year old retard can make a comment about something. Every Pearl Jam video has somebody saying "This song sucks. Pearl Jam stopped being good in 1994" underneath it.
  • RGarabed21RGarabed21 Posts: 467
    2nd all time favorite PJ song. (behind Hold On)..hope to finally see it live in May
    MSG - 6/25/08 EV Solo Tower Theatre - 06/11/09
    Philly 2 - 10/28/09 Philly 3 - 10/30/09
    Philly 4 - 10/31/09
    Boston 1 - 05/17/10
    PruCenter - 05/18/10
    MSG 1 - 05/20/10
    MSG 2 - 05/21/10
    Alpine1 - 09/03/11 Alpine2 - 09/04/11
  • Drum Machine89Drum Machine89 Posts: 2,157
    So I was just watching one of my many playlists on youtube and reading comments. And 'Sad' plays. People ripped this song appart in some of thier comments. I don't get it. although it is a b-side and didn't make the cut for an album this song is none the less amazing. Especially live. Just an all around beautiful song.

Can't believe people don't like this song. I guess its just too much of an experimental Pearl Jam for them. Oh well...fuck them. Here it is, enjoy it:

I thought alot of people liked this song anyway dude? :?
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Great song

Ok live...The verse seems a little empty in all but the best versions.

I don't think the song is experimental at all, so I cant see that being the reason people dislike it. I could see them disliking b/c its too basic before too out there.
  • Birdman77Birdman77 Posts: 21
    I feel like Sad would have fit on Backspacer nicely.
  • wsoltiswsoltis Posts: 31
    I have been a PJ fan for a long time and I was painting a room in my house last weekend while listening to some of my PJ boots and SAD came on and I haven't been able to get the song out of my head. I like it a lot!! It's a real good song with a memorable riff.......
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    i love this song so much it's a little obscene.
  • McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    fantastic song.. one of the best (in my top ten)
  • Pry ToPry To Posts: 285
    One of my very favorite PJ songs. The version at Chicago 1 last year absolutely blew me away. Here's a video. This guy has AMAZING footage that gets absolutely no love. He not only filmed a ton of shows right up close, but took the time to overlay sound from the boots, so the sound is perfect. All of his footage is the bomb. Sad is one of the best of all his footage, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExhNQjAatTc
    Los Angeles - Sep 11, 1992
    Memphis - Aug 15, 2000
    Chicago - May 16, 2006
    Chicago - Aug 23-24, 2009
    Columbus - May 6, 2010
    Noblesville - May 7, 2010
    Manchester - June 20-21, 2012
    Amsterdam - June 26-27, 2012
    Berlin - July 4-5, 2012
  • at least the comments arent as bad as for this work of genius!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs
  • Passim wrote:
    One of my very favorite PJ songs. The version at Chicago 1 last year absolutely blew me away. Here's a video. This guy has AMAZING footage that gets absolutely no love. He not only filmed a ton of shows right up close, but took the time to overlay sound from the boots, so the sound is perfect. All of his footage is the bomb. Sad is one of the best of all his footage, IMO.

Love how mike plays with the audience during the song. It must be intense to be front row in front of mike for 2 1/2 hours.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    Passim wrote:

Love how mike plays with the audience during the song. It must be intense to be front row in front of mike for 2 1/2 hours.

it's only the greatest thing EVER. i think for their next dvd (the australia/nz one? yes?) they should have a 'cready cam.
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594

SAD is a BEAUTIFUL song.

BTW, what's up man? :D Will I be seeing you on the road this tour?
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,177
    2nd all time favorite PJ song. (behind Hold On)..hope to finally see it live in May

I'm also a sucker for these songs, and Alone. Might be my 3 favourite songs... there is something about Pearl jams "sad love" songs that hits me.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Who cares? That's what sucks about youtube is that any 12 year old retard can make a comment about something. Every Pearl Jam video has somebody saying "This song sucks. Pearl Jam stopped being good in 1994" underneath it.

Oh but I think that you do 12 year olds a disservice! I agree that there are always many unkind and often unintelligible comments left on youtube, but most seem to be by people who should know better.

Youtube is where bigotry and stupidity go to die!!!
    Stand for something or you'll fall for anything (Skindred-Stand For Something)
  • So I was just watching one of my many playlists on youtube and reading comments. And 'Sad' plays. People ripped this song appart in some of thier comments. I don't get it. although it is a b-side and didn't make the cut for an album this song is none the less amazing. Especially live. Just an all around beautiful song.

Beautiful song.

One of my favourites.

I'd love to hear it live.
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    SOLAT319 wrote:

SAD is a BEAUTIFUL song.

BTW, what's up man? :D Will I be seeing you on the road this tour?
    You absolutely will see me on the road this tour. NYC 1 and 2, Hartofrd, and Boston 1 and 2 when they announce it. What about you!?!?! How are you? How's the left coast?
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • After exiting a ten year marriage the lyrics fully hit home for me.

holding his last breath, believing
    he'll make his way
    but she's not forgotten
    he's haunted
    he's searching for escape

if just one wish could bring her back, it's sent
    and his loneliness is proof, it's sad
    he will always love you, he said
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    Passim wrote:

awesome vid thanks. i was there and loved the lyrics switched from he to she. made me happy...and sad 8-)

and after hearing the studio version on good headphones..this is from binaural right? has some weird guitar in it
    what a song
  • punkmattpunkmatt Posts: 122
    Passim wrote:

I love how Ed changed Sad that night, from male to female perspective. Damn I love this song, both versions are amazing live.
  • Passim wrote:

Hey, theres my bald head with all the stage lights shining off of it in the 1st row, far right of the screen!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

What a freakin' magical night that was!!!!!!! Cant wait for Indy!!!!!
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I can play this song on the bass

it's fun to play
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    smarchee wrote:

it's fun to play
    and i can on guitar. i smell a cover :D
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    jones wrote:
    smarchee wrote:

it's fun to play
    and i can on guitar. i smell a cover :D

haha sweet, and we can talk about the Wings in between songs lol

definitly a fun song to play on bass, does it flow so sweetly on rythem guitar? Is that what you play, or can you bust out the solo?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Birdman77 wrote:
    I feel like Sad would have fit on Backspacer nicely.

:|
    From Montevideo, Uruguay.
  • sounds great live!