Is Vitalogy the best PJ album of them all?

MASMAS Posts: 630
edited April 2010 in The Porch
This is a great possibility...
Maybe not musically but def lyrically....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    No there isn't a 'best' PJ album, for me its all whatever mood i'm in, and hell to be honest i dont really listen to albums objectively anymore, i listen to live shows and have done for years that way you get the best of everything.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=127541

Not even close according to us on the board
  • MASMAS Posts: 630
    Eddie had some profound shit to say on this bitch!!
    MAS wrote:

true, I also think it's when the band made it's biggest change, nothing like 10 or vs. IMO
  • MASMAS Posts: 630
    RiotZact wrote:
    MAS wrote:

true, I also think it's when the band made it's biggest change, nothing like 10 or vs. IMO

Change meaning progression?
    MAS wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:
    MAS wrote:

Change meaning progression?

Not sure what it means, just dosn't fit in the class with ten and vs., i put them together, vitaolgy, no code, and yield together, binaural, riot act, and pearl jam together, then backspacers it's own thing of coarse
  • "Vitalogy" was the album that made me a fan. I paid little attention to the first two albums. I thought PJ was too "serious" and their overall vibe a bit "heavy". "Vitalogy" changed all that in the sense that it sounded fresh and fun, like something from the 70's, and I thought that Pearl Jam may have more of a future than anyone realized. "No Code" and "Yield" proved that. It's a shame that a lot of people weren't listening at that point. "Vitalogy" was too "weird" for them and they jumped ship. I still think a lot of Pearl Jam fans are unadventurous even today.
    "Vitalogy" was the album that made me a fan. I paid little attention to the first two albums. I thought PJ was too "serious" and their overall vibe a bit "heavy". "Vitalogy" changed all that in the sense that it sounded fresh and fun, like something from the 70's, and I thought that Pearl Jam may have more of a future than anyone realized. "No Code" and "Yield" proved that. It's a shame that a lot of people weren't listening at that point. "Vitalogy" was too "weird" for them and they jumped ship. I still think a lot of Pearl Jam fans are unadventurous even today.

This is well said
  • bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    It's their punk-iest (if that's even a word) album of all 9 studio albums.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    Yes :mrgreen:
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Pearl JamesPearl James Posts: 420
    Their best album hasn't been made yet ;)
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,029
    It is my favourite so it must be, imo!
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    "Vitalogy" was the album that made me a fan. I paid little attention to the first two albums. I thought PJ was too "serious" and their overall vibe a bit "heavy". "Vitalogy" changed all that in the sense that it sounded fresh and fun, like something from the 70's, and I thought that Pearl Jam may have more of a future than anyone realized. "No Code" and "Yield" proved that. It's a shame that a lot of people weren't listening at that point. "Vitalogy" was too "weird" for them and they jumped ship. I still think a lot of Pearl Jam fans are unadventurous even today.

Couldn't have put it any better. I was aware of Ten, Vs passed me by, but Vitalogy grabbed my attention and made me a fan.
  • ty9969ty9969 Posts: 48
    It's absolutely pivotal because it stands for their refusal to play the record company game, the same way ten announced their arrival.

But I'd rather listen to yield than either.
  • ZidaneZidane Posts: 362

Well said!!! I know it's Vitalogy that made me a fan of PJ!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    I was hooked with TEN. It quickly became and still is my favorite ever. Until I heard VS. I oscillate between the two, which ever I am listening to at the time. But I love them all, even Binaural, up until BS which is getting a little better each time I listen to it, except for the end. Can't get into the end.
    Well
    AFW
    Peace
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    Vitolagy is the best PJ album in my opinion. It does not flow from song to song at all, but I has some of the best shit I've ever heard..... fucking love it.
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • psmitty76psmitty76 Posts: 28
    Yes definately. I know no one probably cares but this is how I rate them.
    1. Vitalogy
    2. Ten
    3. No Code
    4. Yield
    5. Vs.
    6. Binaural
    7. Riot Act
    8. Backspacer
    9. Avacado