Playing PJ on the Guitar

thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
edited April 2010 in The Porch
So six months ago, I decided to try to get back into playing the guitar. I've been taking guitar lessons just about every week, until middle of March. I could no longer afford the consistant lessons, and I've felt like I've gotten to a point where I can train myself. I've decided to make a BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal) for myself. I want to learn how to play every song off the Ten album plus Yellow Ledbetter (which should've been on Ten).

Why Ten you may ask? Pearl Jam has a very diverse and excellent discography, why limit yourself to Ten (+ Yellow Ledbetter)? Its more of a regiment than anything. Rather than muddling through a scattered collection of Pearl Jam songs that I want to learn to play, I feel that if I limit myself to the album (+ Yellow Ledbetter), for now, I can set a clear goal.

I am not expecting to learn it all in a month. It could take six months or even a year, but I feel that by setting a goal like that, it will motivate me to play the guitar since I no longer have an instructor to keep me on my toes. So now for your part. Where is the best place to obtain Pearl Jam sheet music/tabs? Is there a particular website, or should I buy a songbook? Does PJ have a songbook for Ten?

Thanks guys.
Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Giventowail.com was the best place to get Pearl Jam tabs, but it seems like it won't be back up until the spring sometime. As far as songbooks, there is one for Ten. I think that is the only official tab book the band has ever released. You should be able to find it in a Guitar Center, but there's always the internet if not. It sounds like a solid plan to stick with a single album. By the way, Yellow Ledbetter is one of my favorite pieces to play. Have fun.
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/pearl_jam_tabs.htm

try this, see if its any use to you.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Greetins!

My name is ryan and I am a fulltime guitar tracher and owner operator of my own music school - Evolution Music Studios LLC, in trappe PA. you picked a good one to learn because as previous poster said, TEN is the ONLY PJ album to have an official songbook for it. Get it! You can get it cheap on amazon.

WwwMultimateguitarMcom is the way to go until giventowail is back. But what you shoukd do is get the free download "tux guitar". This a program which allows you to open guitarpro or powertab files. These are full transcriptions of the songs, with all the parts, written in proper form. And its FREE!

Pm me with an questions.

Spread the Jam!
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • Red BurritoRed Burrito Posts: 476
    http://www.giventowail.com/site/bandAlbums.php

This is the best you'll find out there.
    the sorrow grows bigger, when the sorrow's denied
  • You can definetly find P j ten song book on e-bay . I too am back to playing guitar and used a great program called jamorama you can find on the web and download it if you want to continue with lessons.