Backspacer, An Emphasis That Pearl Jam is the Greatest

baldoallornonebaldoallornone Posts: 211
edited April 2010 in The Porch
I'm sitting here jamming to Backspacer and I kind of realized something. Many people from time to time have commented on not liking this album and I've seen a few say it's their worst album to date. I had some really cool thoughts on the songs. I have to admit it's not my favorite album from the band and it had to grow on me. The point I realized today is that with every song there is an element which showcases why Pearl Jam is so great.

Gonna See My Friend---Great driving song, makes me want to have a drink.
Got Some---Great rock song with a riff that is typically rythmic as balls which is a talent the band owns.
The Fixer---In my opinion one of the best hooks the bands ever put in a song which sometimes is hard to find in all their songs.
Johnny Guitar---Again what a fucking hook and that middle part that jams is classic.
Just Breathe---Yes I'm sick of it but finally the band has written a proper love song for couples.
Amoungst the Waves---Showcases their ability to open a song and again what a fucking awesome jam during the solo.
Unthought Unknown---Opens up on the chours like Amoungst the Waves and the lyric "Dream the dream of other men, you'll be no ones rival" is just a great line from Ed.
Supersonic---Probably showcases their ability to jam on a riff better than a lot of songs.
Speed of Sound---Starts of stagnite but the harmony on the chours is prefect.
Force of Nature---Rocking riff and then opens up with a great fucking hook.
The End---For me the lyrics are very retrospective to life as you get older and I dig it.

With all this being said, I agree that some of the tracks are not my favorite or their best work but damn every song has an element that I just love about them.

Anyone have any other thoughts.
1998 - St. Louis
2000 - St. Louis
2003 - West Palm Beach, St. Louis, Champaign, Bonner Springs, and East Troy
2004 - St. Louis, Asheville, and Kissimmee
2005 - Kitchener and London, Ontario
2006 - Chicago Night 1, Cincinnati, and St. Paul Night 1
2007 - Lollapalooza
2010 - St. Louis and Noblesville
2011 - East Troy PJ20 Night 1 and Night 2
2013 - Wrigley and Oklahoma City
2014 - St. Louis and Memphis
2016 - Lexington
2018 - Wrigley Night 1 

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    My friend and I once discussed that you really can not put a Pearl Jam album into persepctive until they release thier next album. Case in point, since the release of Backspacer, AVacado has become much more of a masterpiece to me than it was when it was first released. So I feel that Backspacer is the same thing....you can't really appreciate it or put it into perspective until the next one is released. I hope this made sense.....I'm 'in the clouds' right now so to say
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I really like backspacer. Not my favorite (Vitalogy and no code still are my favs)
    But backspacer is maybe just after those 2. As a bassist, I really like Jeff's tone on it. A P bass sits very well in the mix and this album is another good example.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    I love the album.
    It seems a lot of people here do not.
    Oh well.
  • My friend and I once discussed that you really can not put a Pearl Jam album into persepctive until they release thier next album. Case in point, since the release of Backspacer, AVacado has become much more of a masterpiece to me than it was when it was first released. So I feel that Backspacer is the same thing....you can't really appreciate it or put it into perspective until the next one is released. I hope this made sense.....I'm 'in the clouds' right now so to say

I agree completely with your point. As a whole I think all of their albums flow together quite nicely.
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - West Palm Beach, St. Louis, Champaign, Bonner Springs, and East Troy
    2004 - St. Louis, Asheville, and Kissimmee
    2005 - Kitchener and London, Ontario
    2006 - Chicago Night 1, Cincinnati, and St. Paul Night 1
    2007 - Lollapalooza
    2010 - St. Louis and Noblesville
    2011 - East Troy PJ20 Night 1 and Night 2
    2013 - Wrigley and Oklahoma City
    2014 - St. Louis and Memphis
    2016 - Lexington