Verizon iPhone !!!!

Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
http://phandroid.com/2010/04/01/verizon ... ck-4g-lte/

Verizon iPhone To Dual Boot Android, Rock 4G LTE
by Rob Jackson on April 1st, 2010

A year ago, Verizon was still considered one of those uptight carriers who gimped their devices. Now America’s largest carrier is helping LEAD the way to innovation, aggressively adopting Android and integrating Skype. But the fact that the Motorola Droid landed on Verizon as the first 2.0 phone with Google Navigation while practically every other device got stuck on 1.x – coincidence? Absolutely not.

Verizon has bargaining power and they are some real tough mamma jammas. They turned down Apple to exclusively carry the iPhone and haven’t looked back. While rumors about a Verizon iPhone have cropped up every year for the past three, nothing has happened. You know why? Because Apple isn’t providing enough for Verizon Wireless. They want something special.

Just look at what Verizon did with the Palm Pre. They played “wait and see” with the device, and when they finally launched it, demanded they get “Plus” versions of the phone. For those waiting for the Verizon iPhone… Verizon has been waiting too – for Apple to give them that special “Plus” on top. And now they will… reluctantly.

According to an anonymous tipster, Verizon has agreed to terms with Apple on the iPhone 4GA, a device that will not only utilize the carrier’s brand new 4G LTE connectivity, but also dual boot Android. Yup… an Apple iPhone will dual boot Android.

With Android market share rapidly growing, Apple has been on the defensive and felt a partnership with Verizon would help them go on the offensive. Steve Jobs was reportedly “fuming and furious” at Verizon’s request/demand to dual boot Android, calling the concept ludicrous but leaving the door open for negotiation. So that’s what happened.

According to the tipster, Apple will ship up to 1 million iPhones in October, to an unidentified 3rd party software engineering firm in the United States. The contracted company will re-engineer the devices to dual boot Android before shipping them to Verizon stores in November, just in time for the holiday shopping season.

Why the added step and 3rd party contractor? Steve Jobs REFUSED to ship anything but pure, holy iPhones although Apple IS altering their OS security and APIs so the 3rd party can integrate Android easier. These concessions weren’t achieved easily, which is exactly why the previous couple years of “Verizon iPhone” rumors have fallen flat. The Steve Jobs’ ego got in the way of allowing Verizon to do anything “extra” and once Android was mentioned? Look out.

I’m eager to see what Apple and Steve Jobs will have to say about the Verizon iPhone when it is announced – they will supposedly claim they have nothing to do with the Android portion of the phone and that Verizon licensed the iPhone OS to purchase the ability to do what they want. Android is what they chose to do, but I assume Jobs will provide some snark comments about the iPhone alone being more than enough.

Now that impromptu cafe meeting between Steve Jobs and Eric Schmidt seems to make a bit more sense… and Jobs’ temper regarding Google and Android seems a little more normal, too. Imagine having the Verizon CEO approaching Steve Jobs and saying, “We want to partner with Apple, but the iPhone isn’t good enough. We want Android on it, too.”

Yeah, that would piss anyone off. But forget about it, because the awesome outcome is that Verizon will be getting an iPhone that dual boots Android. Or not ;)
My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited April 2010
    Please tell me T-Mobile will get the iPhone too. T-Mobile Europe has been able to offer it since the beginning. I would think T-Mobile USA will start selling it when the AT&T contract is up..
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Please tell me T-Mobile will get the iPhone too. T-mobile Europe has been able to offer it since the beginning. I would think T-Mobile USA will start selling it when the AT&T contract is up..

Remember what the date is today.....

;):D

Please tell me T-Mobile will get the iPhone too. T-mobile Europe has been able to offer it since the beginning. I would think T-Mobile USA will start selling it when the AT&T contract is up..

Remember what the date is today.....

;):D
    lol.. gotcha.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    The thing is CNN reported a possible Verizon iPhone a few days ago, as well as other news outlets.

If this story is a 4/1 story, it's not far off of what was already in the news.... true or not.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Verizon will get the iPhone eventually, but there is no way it's going to be able to run Android as well.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
    CJMST3K wrote:
    The thing is CNN reported a possible Verizon iPhone a few days ago, as well as other news outlets.

If this story is a 4/1 story, it's not far off of what was already in the news.... true or not.
    It is very likely. AT&T's exclusive contract runs up sometime this summer. Verizon is the big gun who might get it, but T-Mobile is also a front runner. T-Mobile already offers the iPhone in Europe. T-Mobile and AT&T use the same SIM technology. You could pop a T-Mobile SIM card in an iPhone, change a few settings and it would work.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    CJMST3K wrote:

Yeah, I heard this on NPR earlier this week.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    I have The Droid, and I have no urge to pick up an iphone now.
    MayDay10 wrote:

Aside from a physical keyboard, what is better?
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    CJMST3K wrote:

Yeah, they took pieces of the rumored stories and went from there

I like at the bottom the Related Articles

:lol:

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    CJMST3K wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

I think the iphone is slightly better. They are basically the same though.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    MayDay10 wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

Doesn't the Droid have a smaller screen?
    MayDay10 wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

How responsive is the touch screen? Does it quick-scroll when you flick your finger, and easy zoom on image with your fingers and all that?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    CJMST3K wrote:
    How responsive is the touch screen? Does it quick-scroll when you flick your finger, and easy zoom on image with your fingers and all that?

the only differences are the iphone has multitouch and it can browse the web and be on the phone at the same time

the screen is slightly smaller but higher resolution