Plans Foiled?

pearlhawkpearlhawk Posts: 634
edited April 2010 in The Porch
As I've mentioned many times on here, I plan on attending my first Pearl Jam shows on May 3rd and 4th in Kansas City and St. Louis. Hotels and tickets are purchased. I haven't been to a major concert since 1993, so I was really pumped about seeing my favorite band. And then today, I received a summons in the mail for jury duty to begin (in Iowa) for Monday morning, May 3rd.

I'm big into public service, government, and politics, so I'm happy to serve. But, the timing. Wow. I'm absolutely devastated.
-Pearlhawk.

Kansas City 5/3/2010
St. Louis 5/4/2010
St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo)
East Troy 9/3/2011
East Troy 9/4/2011
Wrigley Field 7/19/2013
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    You should be able to request that they reschedule your jury duty to another date. Tell them it is conflict.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • You should be able to request that they reschedule your jury duty to another date. Tell them it is conflict.
    this
  • pearlhawkpearlhawk Posts: 634
    It does state that juror service may be deferred to a different term for reasons of good cause, but it does not state what is considered "good cause". I can serve any day the rest of the month, just not the first week. I'd be happy to serve if I could receive a postponement. I'm thinking about composing a written request, with copies of my hotel, and ticket receipts, along with my work time off request for those dates, to help demonstrate the inconvenience due to a preplanned vacation.

Think happy thoughts!
    -Pearlhawk.

Kansas City 5/3/2010
    St. Louis 5/4/2010
    East Troy 9/3/2011
    East Troy 9/4/2011
    Wrigley Field 7/19/2013
  • like.echoeslike.echoes Posts: 582
    pearlhawk wrote:
    due to a preplanned vacation.

preplanned and UN-reschedulable!
    nothing's changed but the surrounding bullsh1t
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    pearlhawk wrote:
    It does state that juror service may be deferred to a different term for reasons of good cause, but it does not state what is considered "good cause". I can serve any day the rest of the month, just not the first week. I'd be happy to serve if I could receive a postponement. I'm thinking about composing a written request, with copies of my hotel, and ticket receipts, along with my work time off request for those dates, to help demonstrate the inconvenience due to a preplanned vacation.

Think happy thoughts!

just don't mention you're going to a rock concert ;):D
  • pearlhawkpearlhawk Posts: 634
    Talked to someone familiar with the person who makes these deferral considerations. Turns out they really don't care what your reason is, so long as you are physically and mentally able.

I'm not going to give up. As I said, I'll serve, but losing out on $500-$700 money down on a planned vacation isn't highly convenient or fair for that week.
    -Pearlhawk.

Kansas City 5/3/2010
    St. Louis 5/4/2010
    East Troy 9/3/2011
    East Troy 9/4/2011
    Wrigley Field 7/19/2013
  • pearlhawk wrote:
    Talked to someone familiar with the person who makes these deferral considerations. Turns out they really don't care what your reason is, so long as you are physically and mentally able.

I'm not going to give up. As I said, I'll serve, but losing out on $500-$700 money down on a planned vacation isn't highly convenient or fair for that week.
    you're allowed to postpone as I have done this before.
  • pearlhawk wrote:
    As I've mentioned many times on here, I plan on attending my first Pearl Jam shows on May 3rd and 4th in Kansas City and St. Louis. Hotels and tickets are purchased. I haven't been to a major concert since 1993, so I was really pumped about seeing my favorite band. And then today, I received a summons in the mail for jury duty to begin (in Iowa) for Monday morning, May 3rd.

I'm big into public service, government, and politics, so I'm happy to serve. But, the timing. Wow. I'm absolutely devastated.

You can absolutely defer service. I have done it before over the phone.
    Step
    Check the date you are to report for jury duty as soon as your jury summons arrives.
    Step
    Refer to your calendar to see if there is a reason you might not be able to serve on that date. Are you getting married, having a baby or taking a non-refundable expensive vacation?
    Step
    Consider other situations that may be reasonable excuses for deferring jury duty. Would serving be a financial hardship? Are you the primary caretaker for someone at home? Or, you may have recently served jury duty and think the summons is a mistake.
    Step
    Call the court (the number should be on the summons) and give your reason. Be sure to have an alternate date of availability when you call. If you're not excused over the phone, you must appear on the date specified on your summons.
    Step
    Appear in court as directed. Again state your reason for wanting a deferral when the opportunity arises for jurors to make such a request.
    Step
    Be cooperative and polite no matter what happens. Being demanding or acting outraged will not help - and may hurt - your cause.
    Step
    If you are excused, expect to receive another jury summons when your stated availability date comes up.
  • pearlhawk wrote:

that's not true, i got out of it no problem. tell them it would be a financial hardship if you can't postpone.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    You can postpone up to three times. I did then never showed up the fourth time. Must have canceled the date because I haven't heard anything. Don't sweat it. Enjoy the shows
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    pearlhawk wrote:

I am in Canada and I realize that the situation may be significantly different but - I got a summons for jury duty about 4 years ago and they actually let me defer on the grounds that it was an extremely busy time at work and my employer could not afford to lose my services for a week or two during our busiest time. I was shocked that it worked, but it did.

They did that that i could UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES defer jury duty a second time and I had to go back about 6 months later, but they did defer it, so there is hope for you!
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Not that I would suggest this, but some people ignore their jury summons because unless it is sent via some certified/regestered/proof of delivery mail service, there is no proof that it was ever received.

Not a great method, but still a method.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    pearlhawk wrote:

I had a similar situation in July of 2003. I got called for jury duty on July 2nd, coincidentally the same day as the first Tweeter Center show. I just bit the bullet and went rather than delay. I actually got called on a jury and they took me off in the final stages of choosing. Long story short, I made it to the show just as they got on and it was insane. Hell of a day, but well worth it.

Obviously that's not an option for ya pearlhawk, but you can still delay that. Pearl Jam > civic duty :lol:
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    This has happened to me a couple of years ago with something else..Turns out that I never got that piece of mail...;-)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • pjheasds8pjheasds8 Posts: 91
    really not a big deal. i remember last year I was served to be a witness for a trial when I was to be on vacation in Vegas. I called the defense lawyer and said, "dude, you really don't want me as a witness(car accident thing) your client is guilty.
  • Every jurisdiction is different. In the jurisdiction where I work, the court allows two deferrals, pretty much with no questions asked. When my husband needed a third, they put him on a grand jury.

I'd be really surprised if just "planned a trip out of town" isn't enough to get you out the first time. Do you have a spouse who's going? It can be a "long planned family trip, " or something. Plus, loosing $700+ sounds like it should qualfiy as a "hardship." You can probably search online for the court rules for your county (assuming that's who sent the notice). That should give you a good idea of what they'll do.

Good luck! I missed a PJ concert in '98 because of something I thought I had to do. Regretted it ever since!
  • The fine state of Massachusetts decided to send me a jury duty notice to my college mail box (which was never my registered permanent address, so I don't know how they got it) about 2 months after I graduated. It sat in the mailroom at my college for about 6 months before it was forwarded to me, and by the time I got it the date was already 4 months passed. I called to explain the situation and received the polite equivalent of "oh, fuck it, we don't give a shit anyway"
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    we can just get letters from our employers to say they can't spare us. no muss, no fuss.
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 626
    i actually forgot to go, called the next week to ask if i was in trouble and they didnt care, they just rescheduled it. said there was no warrant, no nothin. i think you're safe if you just don't go and call a couple days later saying oops. saves you the trouble of lying or begging.