Dealing with an old, sick cat. Treat or let die?

orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Now I know the title of this thread has you thinking that I'm a cold, heartless bastard. Hold on a minute, this is untrue. My 15-year-old cat has had nasty diarrhea for a few weeks now. He's lost a lot of weight and has been pissing and pooping everywhere except his litter box. All of this and yet he still has a voracious appetite.

If there is some kind of treatment I can give him that will allow him to live comfortably in his waning years, I would definitely be open to it. However, if the only option is expensive visits to the vet (I am literally broke), then do I just make that tough decision to have him put down?

It's sad and it sucks. He's been my furry companion for 15 years now ... he was there when I lost my virginity and he's comforted me during bad acid trips ... he's moved with me through four different towns and he's seen numerous women come and go. He's been my counsel, my partner in crime and my friend.

Why do we do this to ourselves? Purchase animals when we know damn well that it is going to end horribly one day?
Jam out with your clam out.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    long red wrote:
    Now I know the title of this thread has you thinking that I'm a cold, heartless bastard. Hold on a minute, this is untrue. My 15-year-old cat has had nasty diarrhea for a few weeks now. He's lost a lot of weight and has been pissing and pooping everywhere except his litter box. All of this and yet he still has a voracious appetite.

If there is some kind of treatment I can give him that will allow him to live comfortably in his waning years, I would definitely be open to it. However, if the only option is expensive visits to the vet (I am literally broke), then do I just make that tough decision to have him put down?

It's sad and it sucks. He's been my furry companion for 15 years now ... he was there when I lost my virginity and he's comforted me during bad acid trips ... he's moved with me through four different towns and he's seen numerous women come and go. He's been my counsel, my partner in crime and my friend.

Why do we do this to ourselves? Purchase animals when we know damn well that it is going to end horribly one day?

Focus and cherish those treasured memories you still have and try not to stress on this end of life situation...it's coming for ALL of us.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    if you choose to end your cat's suffering, take it in yourself.. don't let someone else do it cause you just can't bare the thought.. If "Of Mice And Men" has taught us anything
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    It's really hard. We have an old sick dog and he's pooping everywhere. But he still seems happy. The vet talked about some super expensive procedures to prolong his life and we said no, not that we don't love him - but he's old and sick, he's not going to miraculously turn into a healthy puppy again.

The vet told us he wasn't in pain. So we're just cleaning up the poop and rubbing his head and telling him how much we love him. Hopefully he'll let you know when he's ready. Our last dog sort of signaled that he was ready to go. And as sad as it was, it was okay.

I hope our pets know how much we love and appreciate them. I can't imagine life without them.

Good luck to you.
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    if you choose to end your cat's suffering, take it in yourself.. don't let someone else do it cause you just can't bare the thought.. If "Of Mice And Men" has taught us anything

oh no, i'd never let anyone else take him in to be put down. if it comes to that, i'm with him all the way.
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    good stuff.. What ever you choose will be the right decision
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I speak from experience when I say this, but in your cat's shape it would be best to put it down. 15 years is a long time for a cat to live and vet bills are VERY expensive. It is a very hard decision and you should think it over before jumping to conclusions. My dad spend over $2,000 on his 13 year old cat in vet bills and treatments. After a month of in and out of the vet's office and countless bills, the cat dropped dead one afternoon. Very sad but my dad said that if he knew the outcome before he would have ended the cats suffering a lot earlier. Think it over and do what's best for the cat.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    I believe you will know when/if it is time.

When your pet's quality of life has diminished to the point where treatment will only prolong a suffering animal's suffering (imo) it is time to let them go. Do not feel as if you are selfish, or cheap, or mean. Take the approach that you have given an animal 15 years of good life, and it sounds as if some other fortunate animal(s) might have you as their protector and provider. I KNOW how you feel, my friend. It is a very difficult decision, but the fact that it IS so difficult for you to make allows me to believe that you will do what is best for your fur-baby.
    I wish you peace and comfort.
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • If the cat's happy, let him live. After a #3 at Taco Bell, who doesn't get diarreah?
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    why? to your last statement
    because it is always better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
    this most especially true when saying goodbye to your best pet friend
    and just follow your heart you'll know what's right for you and your friend
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    a few years ago, one of our cats was losing weight, not eating, etc, and we could tell something wasn't right, so we took her to the vet, can't remember what she was dignosed with but it wasn't good, the vet said we could take her home, and care for her, but she'd be in suffering, as there was nothing that could be done for her, so we choose the hard decision, and let the vet put her down there and then, it was a tough descion. one that still breaks my heart when i think about it, but it was for the best, don't know if that helps you any, but just wanted to let you know, it tought, not easy, but you gotta think of the poor cat, its given you 15 great years, let it go, before it gets too far.

love and peace to you.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • RoughMixRoughMix Posts: 385
    It's a tough call Long Red,but you have to think of the suffering your pal may be going through.
    I put my dog down a year ago and know in my heart it was the right thing to do.
    Same deal,making a mess all over, couldn't hold anything in.
    You have to let your pet pass on with dignity.
    Once you make the decision,do not waver.
    You will cry and you will never forget, but you will at least know it was the right thing to do.
    Also, I waited a little while but could not live without a dog.
    Now, just over a year later, I have two. :shock:
    Life indeed moves on.
    All the best.
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • You should definitely take him in to see what's wrong! You should have done it a while ago if he's been dealing with squirts for weeks. Cats will pee and poo everywhere when they're not feeling good... he's trying to show you that he's not feeling good! His hunger is a good sign.

Maybe it's nothing big and with an antibiotic, your kitty could live 4,5, 6 more years!

Please take him in and find out what's wrong -then- make a decision (if you even have to make that decision)

My BFF takes in sickly cats every now and then. Gives them IV's at home and stuff because their kidneys are bad. Very minimal time and money and these cats live quite a few years more than they would have.
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    hunger is not always a good sign.

i would only take him in if he seems like he's in pain.

sorry. :cry:
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • shortstack wrote:
    hunger is not always a good sign.

i would only take him in if he seems like he's in pain.

sorry. :cry:

I'm not a vet but it really seems like hunger with the shits is much better than shits and not eating?

My mom had 2 cats (they were technically my brother's cats) and one of them kept using the bed in the basement for a litter box. Instead of taking them to the vet to make sure there wasn't a health issue, she had BOTH of them put down. They weren't even old.

That's really irresponsible.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    ask yourself this: Would you be keeping the cat alive for the cat's benefit and emotional well being or for your emotional well-being at the cat's expense?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    a few years ago, one of our cats was losing weight, not eating, etc, and we could tell something wasn't right, so we took her to the vet, can't remember what she was dignosed with but it wasn't good, the vet said we could take her home, and care for her, but she'd be in suffering, as there was nothing that could be done for her, so we choose the hard decision, and let the vet put her down there and then, it was a tough descion. one that still breaks my heart when i think about it, but it was for the best, don't know if that helps you any, but just wanted to let you know, it tought, not easy, but you gotta think of the poor cat, its given you 15 great years, let it go, before it gets too far.

love and peace to you.

This is good advice.

To the OP, we had a similar issue with our cat Stella. She had many of the same symptoms that you have described. It turns out she suffered from hyperthyroidism.

Symptoms of hyperthyroidism

Each cat responds to his or her hyperthyroidism a little differently, causing observed abnormalities to vary from cat to cat. Among the most common owner observations are the following:

* Weight loss
    * Increase in appetite
    * Patchy hair loss or failure to groom (some cats have been observed to pull their hair out)
    * Increase in water intake
    * Increase in urine output
    * Increase in activity level (some cats are persistently restless or nervous)

Some hyperthyroid cats have a change in behavior and when this happens, they tend to become irritable, mean, or easily upset. Vomiting and diarrhea are a little less common. Some hyperthyroid cats have unusually bulky stools and others have unusually large amounts of stool. Relatively uncommon but well-documented problems caused by hyperthyroidism include panting (open mouth breathing), difficulty breathing, loss of appetite, muscle weakness, listlessness, and seeking cool places.

Because of her age, she was eighteen, we discussed quality of life for her and for us. She had been sick on and off for the last few years. The option to treat not only the hyperthyroidism, but also the underlying issue that caused it, didn't seem realistic when she would only have possibly a couple years left in her. The day that we actually decided that we would have her euthanised was hard for us. Ironically, she seemed to have sensed it because she was her normal, affectionate old-self all that day. At 10:15 that same night, she walked into the living-room, looked at me, meowed once and then went onto cardiac arrest. She died within minutes and in my arms. It will be three years on April 15th and not a day goes by when I don't think about her.

Best of luck with your decision. I know it's not one made lightly. Hugs to you and your baby.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • First, take him in to a vet for a diagnosis!

When you have some understanding of what the illness is, you can think about what to do next: What is the prognosis, what are the options for treatment, how much will the future bills be, etc.

Perhaps it is a simple problem that can be easily CURED! You are asking us whether you should expensively treat him for a long-term condition, or let him suffer with no intervention. You have no idea yet if those are the only two options.... Unless you have made up your mind to refuse to do anything else for him.

And I'm not talking out my ass: Four months ago, I spent $105 treating two of my mice who have mycoplasma. I took the money out of my food budget, and made do with less for myself. This week, they have suddenly relapsed. Tiny, fragile Lola is not likely to survive past mid-April unless I buy her some medicine. I have just enough money to cover the rent- so I will pay that first. But I have decided NOT to pay my internet bill (which is my only bill all month) so that I can try to save her life. I am responsible.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I went through this exact same situation this time last year.
    The end of this month (29th) will be the first year anniversary since we had our cat put to sleep :(
    I was there in the vets room when he was put down, probably the most toughest moment in my life, was very tough to handle.
    He was in such a bad way it was only right to put him out of his pain.
    You will know what to do when the time comes, until then cherish every moment and stay strong.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited April 2010
    long red wrote:
    Now I know the title of this thread has you thinking that I'm a cold, heartless bastard. Hold on a minute, this is untrue. My 15-year-old cat has had nasty diarrhea for a few weeks now. He's lost a lot of weight and has been pissing and pooping everywhere except his litter box. All of this and yet he still has a voracious appetite. ?

You ARE cold and heartless. Your cat has had diarrhea for WEEKS, yet you haven't done anything? Of course he is losing weight. Diarrhea could be cause by something as petty as worms or just an intestinal irritation (have you changed his food? Is he an outdoor cat that may be muching on mice and birds?).

House cats can live to 20+ years... thinking of 'letting your cat die' because you can't be bothered is vile. Also, cats are clean by nature. So not only does he have a physical problem, you are also making him anxious and upset if he sees he poops everywhere. If this diarrhea is due to worms/bacterial infection,etc. this cat is licking himself clean, re-injesting the nastiness.

Sorry for the strong words, but if you can't afford a vet, you shouldn't have a pet. Moreso if you see it ill for WEEKS and do nothing. I am shocked. He may have 'nothing', he may have something. Let the vet decide.
    Post edited by redrock on
    youngster wrote:
    I speak from experience when I say this, but in your cat's shape it would be best to put it down. 15 years is a long time for a cat to live and vet bills are VERY expensive. It is a very hard decision and you should think it over before jumping to conclusions. My dad spend over $2,000 on his 13 year old cat in vet bills and treatments. After a month of in and out of the vet's office and countless bills, the cat dropped dead one afternoon. Very sad but my dad said that if he knew the outcome before he would have ended the cats suffering a lot earlier. Think it over and do what's best for the cat.

Maybe when you're 80 and you take a turn and need serious long term medical help, your kids will decide that the gamble on the cost of helping with those bills and the potential years you have left is not worth it so they will ask the docs to end your suffering.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    First, take him in to a vet for a diagnosis!

When you have some understanding of what the illness is, you can think about what to do next: What is the prognosis, what are the options for treatment, how much will the future bills be, etc.

Perhaps it is a simple problem that can be easily CURED! You are asking us whether you should expensively treat him for a long-term condition, or let him suffer with no intervention. You have no idea yet if those are the only two options.... Unless you have made up your mind to refuse to do anything else for him.

THIS! ^^^

please.
    long red, i understand, it might be pricey. however, it is MIGHT be. but at the very least, you owe it to your cat, and yourself, to see if it IS something life-threatening, or not.....pricey, or not. one vet visit, perhaps a couple of tests, should not break the bank. please bring your kitty to the vet pronto!

and sure, my 20 year old kitty just passed away in january. we spend over 1k trying to 'save' her.....but honestly, we were fully prepared to let her go. however, our long-time vet, who we totally trust, told us there was a good chance should could fully recover and have a few more good years left, so we felt we owed it to her. otherwise, i would've had her put down, or brought her to die at home comfortably.

obviously, you have to make a choice that works best for you and your kitty, but please do so armed with real information. good luck to you and your kitty during such a difficult time.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Red, I’m in the same position, my cat is 15 this year, have had her since she was 8 weeks old or so, and she is my baby. She’s the sweetest cat in the world. She has been losing weight as well, but is still eating pretty good.

I’m just waiting for the day I come home and she doesn’t greet me at the top of the stairs.

I’m dreading it.

I really don’t know what to tell you because I don’t know what to do myself, in the event she goes down hill fast.

I think the only way I could put her down is if I knew she was suffering. I couldn’t bear that.
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    So i'm taking the kid to the vet today. thanks everyone ... even the guy who called me heartless.
  • Good luck to both of you today.

When I first read the symptoms I automatically thought hyperthyroid, which you can give a pill for.

My cat was diagnosed with intestinal lymphoma 4 years ago this month. When they called me with the test result I thought I'd be putting her down that very afternoon. But they insisted I try medication first and four years later, she takes a pill each day and has no symptoms or problems at all :) You'd never know anything had been wrong with her.

I also had another cat and dog before this who I eventually had to look at their quality of life and put them down, so I understand that decision, too.

But after what I went through with this cat, I'm always willing to give meds a shot first.

I hope it works out for you.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    redrock wrote:
    youngster wrote:

Maybe when you're 80 and you take a turn and need serious long term medical help, your kids will decide that the gamble on the cost of helping with those bills and the potential years you have left is not worth it so they will ask the docs to end your suffering.

Fuckin A right. I hope so! By the time I'm 80, if I live that long, my kids will be close to retirement age! They shouldn't have to put up with my old tired ass. They don't need that shit. They'll have kids of their own. What else will I have to do at 80 that I can't do in the next 50 years? I figure if I start having problems at 80 that need constant medical attention, I just want nature to run it's course. No need to try heroics. Everybody dies. 80 is a damn good run and every day after that will be a blessing for me.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    edited April 2010
    my cat started urinating more than normal. he was in the final stages of kidney failure. then he had diarrhea every where. I had many trips to the animal ER after hours care and vets and even an oncologist. my mom said i over did it with the vets, that he suffered due to the medical tests. he had tumors on his liver. he was put to sleep on my father in law's birthday in 2007. for a year, we did not know what was wrong with his shoulder and we took him to a dermatologist. we're sure it was skin cancer and then it spread to his liver. my husband had to pull him out from under the bed to take him to the after hours ER for the euthanasia. he was still walking etc, but had gotten very thin. his eyes had pain in them, my husband said. he was a few days away from turning 16 :(

just wanted you guys to know that some vets will not put the animal down if there is no diagnosis. my mom has drastically declined in her health and never took her cat to the vet but once every 2 yrs. i tried to take her to the vet when my mom was visiting her brother but she became vicious! we could not put her in the carrier and had to cancel the appt.

her huge cat got so thin, her head was too big. she made the appt for the euthanasia and my husband had to take her in for my mom. the vet refused to put her to sleep without a diagnosis and wanted to do tons of tests. my husband said that my mom can't afford it and she can't take care of her anymore. the cat was about 16. the cat was still alive when we left but we had a receipt saying she was put to sleep. i felt sorry for the cat and my husband. i know it brought back memories of our cat. we think the vet got another vet to put her to sleep.

let us know the diagnosis. I hope all goes well :)
    Post edited by iluvcats on
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    See what the treatment is first. My cat is 14 and started doing this last year. Turns out she has an ulcer and just needs an antacid. It costs me $4 every 3 months for the medicine. When cats are sick they don't use their litter box, so this could be something minor and easily fixed.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    What pisses me off still is how the vet couldn't figure out what was wrong.
    We don't know and will never know what was wrong.
    After spending almost $1000 on vet bills they couldn't figure it out.
    :x
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    long red wrote:
    So i'm taking the kid to the vet today. thanks everyone ... even the guy who called me heartless.
    I'm not a guy. And I'm glad you are taking the cat to the vet - whatever the outcome. Should have done so weeks ago but at least it's happening. I hope your kitty will be OK and it's only something minor like an infection, irritation or blockage.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    long red wrote:

let us know how your kitty is doing!
    *fingers crossed* for good news....and yes...please take good care of him/her....love em up and make sure the litter box is nice and clean!

:mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow