Ed has learned to play a mean guitar

Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
edited March 2010 in The Porch
!!!!
Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    i heard his guitar is quite nice once you get to know it...

*boom chish*

thank you, thank you. i'll be here performing dad jokes for the whole evening! :mrgreen:
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    There is no room for 3 kick as guitarists in this band, so I'm sorry - Ed is going to have to leave.
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    He's always been an amazing song writer on guitar, just breathe and the end are some beautiful guitar songs, but I don't know if I'd say he plays a mean guitar...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Gmoney wrote:
    He's always been an amazing song writer on guitar, just breathe and the end are some beautiful guitar songs, but I don't know if I'd say he plays a mean guitar...

I'm not sure "mean" is the right term, but he has really come into his own for sure.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • His solo tours are testament to how far along he has come as a guitar player....ITW was/is fucking brilliant!

he's no Mike...but he is pretty damn good!! ;):mrgreen:
  • jwagnerjwagner Posts: 435
    I generally wish he'd remain guitarless live, just a better vibe/atmosphere somehow, but his E-bow stuff on "Wishlist" is awesome. And "Long Road" will always sounds better the more guitar layers they throw on...and yeah, he's a good player these days.
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    His solo tours are testament to how far along he has come as a guitar player....ITW was/is fucking brilliant!

what he said
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • MASMAS Posts: 630
    Personally I noticed the improvement during his solo shows...
  • There is no room for 3 kick as guitarists in this band, so I'm sorry - Ed is going to have to leave.

Agreed!
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I love the fact that on many songs he's a pounder, which is a nice contrast to Mike and Stone. I say they should definitely keep him around.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Yeah I always LUV how he Starts off CORDUROY :)
    ya gotsta love his intro to porch. chop chop chop.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,178
    Ed tried to look like Neil Young when he plays during jams :)

And I'm not a fan of the Mccready solos, many times it just feels tacky... ;)

Riff > Solos any day.

Eddie and Stone > Mike :P
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    *cricks neck*

*punches fist into palm*

*xena call*
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007

Riff > Solos any day.

You MUST be on "DRUGZ"...
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696

Riff > Solos any day.

Wha--Wha--What? :shock:
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I'm kinda surprised he isn't much better. He's a great musician, but it's more about his writing. He's proficient on guitar but to put him in Stone or Mike's league is just about as far off from the truth as you can get.

Riff > Solos any day.

Have you ever seen/heard them live? how can you make those statments as a 10c member
  • DewieCox wrote:
    I'm kinda surprised he isn't much better.

are you out of your fucking mind dude? you ever hear him do Millworker....he tears shit up!! Ed is awesome on the guitar...and he just keeps getting better! is he on par with Mike & Stone?...no!...but those fucks can't sing to save their lives, and while they can both write great songs...they can't hang with Ed in that dept. either.... so Ed is head and shoulders above them musicianship wise. 8-)
    DewieCox wrote:
    but those fucks can't sing to save their lives, and while they can both write great songs...they can't hang with Ed in that dept. either.... so Ed is head and shoulders above them musicianship wise. 8-)

I have to disagree with that. I think Mike, Stone, and Jeff all write great PJ songs. I like most of thier PJ stuff better than I like Ed's PJ stuff (musically that is, cause no one else really writes the lyrics). But Ed's solo stuff is far and above better than what he writes for Pearl Jam
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    His solo tours are testament to how far along he has come as a guitar player....ITW was/is fucking brilliant!

+1
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Here's the thing, Eddie is an amazing, genius, brilliant (whatever adjective you want to use) song writer on guitar. As far as his actual guitar playing skills he's pretty good. The solo tour is great, but I could play all those songs and by no means do I play a "mean guitar." Now Mccready, he plays a mean guitar.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
    DewieCox wrote:

are you out of your fucking mind dude? you ever hear him do Millworker....he tears shit up!! Ed is awesome on the guitar...and he just keeps getting better! is he on par with Mike & Stone?...no!...but those fucks can't sing to save their lives, and while they can both write great songs...they can't hang with Ed in that dept. either.... so Ed is head and shoulders above them musicianship wise. 8-)

None of the shit he plays is difficult for anybody that can play in any style he plays. There's nothing advanced about anything I've heard him play.

I don't know the in's and outs of who wrote what, but Stone has written some untouchable stuff. Take him out the band and PJ loses their sound. That could never be said about Ed, or Mike for that matter.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Dewie, I agree with everything you said except the last sentence.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • DewieCox wrote:
    None of the shit he plays is difficult for anybody that can play in any style he plays. There's nothing advanced about anything I've heard him play.

I don't know the in's and outs of who wrote what, but Stone has written some untouchable stuff. Take him out the band and PJ loses their sound. That could never be said about Ed, or Mike for that matter.

of course, Stone is the man! but he IS a guitar player first....Ed is a singer first...can Ed play guitar better than Stone can sing? fuck yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

but you are wrong about that last one dude.
    Dewie, I agree with everything you said except the last sentence.

Obviously, as far as Ed' vox are concerned, they're irreplaceable and nobody in the band IS replaceable, I just don't think Mike is a crazy identifiable guitarists. There's gotta be alota guitarist that were balls deep in Hendrix when Van Halen and all the brit heavy metal came about.
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Stone's always been my favorite guitarist of the band.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I do think Ed has gotten to become a solid guitar player.

That said, there are many songs PJ plays live where I don't think he should be playing on or is turned up waaay too high. Sorry, but I should not hear Ed's guitar over Stone's or Mike's. If he wants to play on them, then they need to turn him down.
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    I was a doubter prior to seein' Ed solo shows. I thought for sure he'd have a lot more support, a backing band the entire time or nearly half the show (partly because of the arrangements on ITW). Sure I'd heard him do some openers and thought he was sufficiently skilled, but I didn't think he could hold my attention for a whole show....

How wrong I was. No he's not some mean-ass shredding finger-flying madman, but damn ... the punch to his chops (Porch) that steam-train ca-chug of his playing is potent stuff. Millworker came to mind, right, plus the little riffs sprinkled through Throw Your Arms, the mandolin work ... and banjo ... and uke! What fun! He even plays the drums! (Has he done that anywhere else besides the epic Berk2?)

Guarenteed, The End -- good fingerstyle! And to top it all off, I love the tone he gets from his tele and strat (Parting Ways, Wishlist), so pure, and his acoustics always sound just right to me.

Ed Solo spoiled me, I'm undoubtedly a bigger Ed fan now than PJ (i know i know...), but if I was 10-15 years younger that prolly wouldn't be true. Heaven forbid, but Ed will be just fine post-PJ. But remove Ed, buh-bye PJ!
    [sic] happens
  • acutejam wrote:
    I was a doubter prior to seein' Ed solo shows. I thought for sure he'd have a lot more support, a backing band the entire time or nearly half the show (partly because of the arrangements on ITW). Sure I'd heard him do some openers and thought he was sufficiently skilled, but I didn't think he could hold my attention for a whole show....

How wrong I was. No he's not some mean-ass shredding finger-flying madman, but damn ... the punch to his chops (Porch) that steam-train ca-chug of his playing is potent stuff. Millworker came to mind, right, plus the little riffs sprinkled through Throw Your Arms, the mandolin work ... and banjo ... and uke! What fun! He even plays the drums! (Has he done that anywhere else besides the epic Berk2?)

Guarenteed, The End -- good fingerstyle! And to top it all off, I love the tone he gets from his tele and strat (Parting Ways, Wishlist), so pure, and his acoustics always sound just right to me.

Ed Solo spoiled me, I'm undoubtedly a bigger Ed fan now than PJ (i know i know...), but if I was 10-15 years younger that prolly wouldn't be true. Heaven forbid, but Ed will be just fine post-PJ. But remove Ed, buh-bye PJ!

all good points!...and while Dewie may find it "easy" to play all of the ITW songs....try writing one dude! that's what i'm talking about!..i'm sure you nerds watch all the footage you can find like i do...the rest of the band is in awe of what Ed does in the studio....and yes...Pearl Jam is a force to be reckoned with because they are all bad ass at what they do and i am in awe of every single one of them!....but on the solo tip? Ed's shit is the only shit i like....and that says a lot.