ICHIRO is currently my favorite player in baseball

PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
edited August 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
and this is coming from a Dodger fan. As a kid, I always remember having a favorite player. I was actually guilty at times of following certain players as opposed to following a team. It wasn't until I got a little older when I found myself really following a team (Dodgers) instead of rooting for my boyhood hero's.

Fast forward to now, I find myself still kinda "rooting" or cheering for certain players. With that being said, I just LOVE ICHIRO's game. The guy can flat out play the game, and play it damn well. He can hit for average, his an amazing arm in the outfield, fast as hell, and is a great table setter. No need to post his stats, anyone who follows the game knows what he has done since his arrival in the league. Anyone else a fan of this guy's game??
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    There was a great article on SI posted a couple days ago, but he's a freaking incredible player. What an arm.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Ichiro esss iicchhiibannnn

i love ichiro.
    being half japanese my brother and i always automatically took to japanese athletes since there isn't a big presence on this continent (at least not in hockey anyways).
    ichiro is like the beckham of baseball in japan lol
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    My wife is from Japan and she looooooooovvvvvvvesssssss Ichiro.

I like him well enough, but as a Red Sox fan, I can't love him. My son likes him a bit cause of his Japanese roots. He's only 6, but is into baseball a bit.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Obviously being an M's fan, I have been an Ichiro fan since he came to the big league. The guy just flat out gives it everything he's got!!

This video is one reason why he is so great: http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/media/v ... id=7219081

And that was just a week ago in Spring Training!!
  • 37pheet37pheet Posts: 433
    I like him well enough, but as a Red Sox fan, I can't love him.

YOUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
    That guy should be a 1st ballot Hall of Famer....

With 100% of the vote.....

Ichiro's numbers are just mind boggling......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787

I agree with you 100%

lately I often seem to bring this question up every time I engage in some baseball conversation. "Will Ichiro be in the Hall of Fame someday?" I ask because I actually think he will be a 1st ballot HOF'r, hands down. However, part of me thinks whenever I ask someone I am going to get someone who strongly disagrees and tries to tell me I am crazy. Funny thing is, EVERYONE I talk to agrees with me, and everyone I know who loves baseball just LOVES this guy's game.

I agree with you 100%

lately I often seem to bring this question up every time I engage in some baseball conversation. "Will Ichiro be in the Hall of Fame someday?" I ask because I actually think he will be a 1st ballot HOF'r, hands down. However, part of me thinks whenever I ask someone I am going to get someone who strongly disagrees and tries to tell me I am crazy. Funny thing is, EVERYONE I talk to agrees with me, and everyone I know who loves baseball just LOVES this guy's game.

100% 1st ballot. Think he could walk away today and he would still get in on the 1st ballot.

Sandy Koufaxesque:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/suzukic01.shtml
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Pretty much impossible NOT to like him.

Amazing player, very modest, worth every penny!

And I agree...the way he's going he'll be a lock for the Hall!
  • Wow...I'm surprised some jackass hasn't come with with bullshit to not like him.

I CHI RO!!!
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    All the guy does is hit singles and steal some bases. Sure he is pretty good in the outfield too, but there are a lot of light hitting outfielders with slick gloves thta don't make the hall of fame. Hell Tori Hunter is just as good defensively and he'll hit at least 20 HR's a year for you.

First Ballot Hall of Famer ... please next thing you know we'll be putting guys like Brady Anderson in the Hall of Fame because he had one "special year"

. :D
    Yeah that was all bullshit. I really like ichiro and i think he is a special player that is really in tune with the game and surely deserves to be in the hall of fame. He also seems like a likeable guy too.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I LOVE Ichiro! After B-Rob from the Orioles he is one of my favorite players.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    yeah ... i get offers for ichiro all the time in my fantasy league and i won't trade him for anyone with similar stats ...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    The guy is a hell of a quote as well
    I hope he arouses the fire that’s dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul,” he says. “I plan to face him with the zeal of a challenger
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115

Great player who will be in the Hall of fame.
    He won't get 100% of the vote since it has NEVER happened.
    One can also argue that a player that came out the same year as him, has had a better career...Albert Pujols.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435

One can also argue that a player that came out the same year as him, has had a better career...Albert Pujols.
    Pujols = Steroids.........

I don't think anyone would argue with this.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The guy is a hell of a quote as well
    I hope he arouses the fire that’s dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul,” he says. “I plan to face him with the zeal of a challenger
    haha, sounds like a samurai...
    he plays well because if he doesn't perform the best he'll have his head quickly decapitated in the name of honour
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    haffajappa wrote:

i love ichiro.
    being half japanese my brother and i always automatically took to japanese athletes since there isn't a big presence on this continent (at least not in hockey anyways).

Hey don’t forget about one of the best hockey players to come from our neck of the woods ........Paul Kariya! he like you is also a Haffajappa .......Oops Am I as a non Haffajappa able to use that term :oops:

As for Ichi he is the man ......proud to say the only baseball jersey I own is an M's home number 51 .......and it’s not an RJ jersey! 8-)
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
    Hawkshore wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

i love ichiro.

Hey don’t forget about one of the best hockey players to come from our neck of the woods ........Paul Kariya! he like you is also a Haffajappa .......Oops Am I as a non Haffajappa able to use that term :oops:

As for Ichi he is the man ......proud to say the only baseball jersey I own is an M's home number 51 .......and it’s not an RJ jersey! 8-)
    did you know jamie storr was part japanese? you'd never know by looking at him.
    haffajappa, as far as i've checked, is politically correct.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    Saw this on Death Cab For Cutie's facebook page:
    Ben posted a song he wrote called “Ichiro’s Theme” about the former Seattle Mariner player, Ichiro Suzuki on his SoundCloud a few weeks ago. You can now own the track while helping to raise money for a great cause. All sales proceeds will benefit the Seattle Mariners Refuse to Abuse Program: http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/sea/com ... ograms.jsp

Stream the song from Ben’s SoundCloud below, or better yet, purchase it from iTunes here: http://bit.ly/Ru3vfk or Amazon here: http://amzn.to/OGlDOd

http://soundcloud.com/gibbstack/ichiros-theme
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Hawkshore wrote:

I think Hawkshore needs a new jersey...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    outside of any player in a yankee jersey, he has easily been my favorite player in the league for the past ten years.

i remember seeing an interview with him a while back and they asked as a righty, why do you bat left handed? his answer, my father made me learn how to bat left handed so i will always have a two step advantage over right handed batters running out of the batters box. such an incredibly simple logic, but none the less, shows he was taught how to play the smart way.

the guy also has an incredible respect for the game. claims to have visited cooperstown four or five times casually with his family incognito just to admire the history and everything there.
  • Ichiros hit total both MLB and Japan combined?