am i being unreasonable?

Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
i live in a decent sized house with 2 roommates, 1 of them works for the people that own the house. the front door upstairs has a bunch of panes of glass in it. before we put a curtain on it both of our dogs would run to the door then throw their front 2 paws against the door a lot. they did this 1 time too many and my dog ended up breaking 1 of the panes. the roommate who works for the owners wants me to have a professional install the replacement pane. but i've already pried the molding on the sides that holds the glass in off, all i need to do is buy another pane of glass and some tac nails, nail the molding back on and paint it. i don't think this is a big job that requires paying someone to come out and do this when i can do it in like 5 min. i think i should be given a chance at least, if i pay someone i'm going to have to pay them for an hour of work regardless so why not let me try and if it isn't acceptable someone can fix it? it seems like such a small job to call someone in to do
don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Tell them you are willing to pay for it, but only after you have the chance to do the work yourself... and that they have 100% the right to have you replace your work if they don't like it.

...and you can probably get the glass at any picture frame shop cut to size. :)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    i live in a decent sized house with 2 roommates, 1 of them works for the people that own the house. the front door upstairs has a bunch of panes of glass in it. before we put a curtain on it both of our dogs would run to the door then throw their front 2 paws against the door a lot. they did this 1 time too many and my dog ended up breaking 1 of the panes. the roommate who works for the owners wants me to have a professional install the replacement pane. but i've already pried the molding on the sides that holds the glass in off, all i need to do is buy another pane of glass and some tac nails, nail the molding back on and paint it. i don't think this is a big job that requires paying someone to come out and do this when i can do it in like 5 min. i think i should be given a chance at least, if i pay someone i'm going to have to pay them for an hour of work regardless so why not let me try and if it isn't acceptable someone can fix it? it seems like such a small job to call someone in to do

Wow, you are great at presenting your political theories in metaphoric form!

Is this a cryptic question that mirrors the situation in Israel?
    :)
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Hell no you are not being unreasonable !

If that is the way your roommate wants to go, I would tell them they are paying for it alone.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Tell them you are willing to pay for it, but only after you have the chance to do the work yourself... and that they have 100% the right to have you replace your work if they don't like it.

...and you can probably get the glass at any picture frame shop cut to size. :)

yeah, the other roommate said he could get me a piece of glass for free if i tell him the measurements so all i'd really need to buy would be some tac nails
    don't compete; coexist

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

• juan lesterjuan lester Posts: 321
    DIY, and do it well, and they'll have nothing to bitch about.
    uke can save the world
  • don't ask... just do it. And do it well....
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    How about you replace it without his knowledge, and have it painted and everything before he gets home one day. Tell him you had a pro do it. If he likes it, tell him 2 days later you did it.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    oh, i'm gonna do it :mrgreen: just working on the timing because i know if i say i had someone do it she will want to see the receipt and know the name and all that. but if it's done and looks good she should have nothing to complain about
    don't compete; coexist

• CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    "am i being unreasonable?"

yes ;)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    don't ask... just do it. And do it well....

x 2....
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    patch the holes with 2x4's & 9 inch bolts. then have it welded. you should be good to go.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I don't think you're being unreasonable, and if they aren't satisfied when you've finished, let them pay for it...

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    I'd say its up to whoever owns the property.
    "It's all happening"

she doesn't want them to know.

like i said, this isn't some major job, the worst i can do is nail the moulding on wrong or get paint on the pane and there's already some here and there on a few panes from somebody else! i don't feel like paying all that money for a 5 min job because whoever would come to fix it probably wouldn't paint it
    don't compete; coexist

• normnorm Posts: 31,146

she doesn't want them to know.

like i said, this isn't some major job, the worst i can do is nail the moulding on wrong or get paint on the pane and there's already some here and there on a few panes from somebody else! i don't feel like paying all that money for a 5 min job because whoever would come to fix it probably wouldn't paint it

just do it...it's a simple fix that anyone with opposable thumbs can do ;):D