Pearl Jam, Trees and Puget Sound

skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Now this is just Lovely.. http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stor ... aily4.html

Pearl Jam donating $210K to plant trees around Puget Sound
Puget Sound Business Journal (Seattle)

The rock band Pearl Jam is donating $210,000 to the Cascade Land Conservancy to plant 33 acres of trees and plants around the Puget Sound area.

The Seattle-based Cascade Land Conservancy (CLC) said the trees and plants will mitigate more than 7,000 metric tons of carbon emissions.

The band created more than 5,400 metric tons of carbon emissions on its 32-date, 2009 tour, according to estimates.

“A band on tour generates a lot of carbon ... constantly moving, using carbon-dependent forms of transportation and a great deal of energy ... We view this as a cost of doing business,” said Stone Gossard, Seattle resident and founder and guitarist of Pearl Jam, in a statement.

“Pearl Jam’s contribution will enable us to plant urban forests throughout the Puget Sound and restore native trees and understory to ecosystems that have faced intense human pressures,” said Gene Duvernoy, CLC president, in a statement.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Kudos to the band for doing this. Classy move.

I must ask though, the Pacific NW needs more trees?! When I visited there I saw more trees than I've ever seen in my life!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Nice!! :)

Thanks for pointing this out.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Very cool!

It's hard to believe they played 32 shows last year :)
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    Awesome job PJ!
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • canoegirlcanoegirl Posts: 295
    edited March 2010
    this is the kind of thing that just makes one smile :D , goodness being active heck get the kids involved out there in seattle for this, what an inexspensive way to teach and the benefits would be endless kids seeing their futures, smiling, learning, helping a good ripple effect in all ways ! teach them when they are young to respect it & they will be the generation to protect it ! fieldtrips :D
    Post edited by canoegirl on
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Thanks, Pearl Jam!! From an actual Puget Sound lifelong resident!! :mrgreen:
  • McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    i have always dreamed, if I had money and means, I would plant trees, and lots of them.
    thanks Pearl Jam from all my great grandchildren.
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    this band is so awesome! I briefly read about Stone saying that part of the reason they're doing this is to help balance/cancel out the environmental hazards involved in a band touring--gas emissions, electricity, etc. They are so thoughtful of their actions towards mother earth. if only everyone was like this.
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    McNairn wrote:
    i have always dreamed, if I had money and means, I would plant trees, and lots of them.
    thanks Pearl Jam from all my great grandchildren.

yeah, seriously. thank you pearl jam for all the oxygen you're going to be putting into the world.