Rich students, and ones who come but dont pay attention

haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
The girl in front of me is watching a movie on her laptop.
Wtf is the point?

Parents are probably in Shanghai paying for her education... A bit of a generalization I know but you should see the parking lot at my school... My boyfriend came to pick me up once and was wondering if we were in the teacher's parking lot... "whats with all the lexus's and BMWs and Bentleys?" For the most part its rich international students whos parents give them $10,000 a month allowances... No joke, I've talked to some who do!
Not saying that all of them don't pay attention.

At least the girl in front of me has it on subtitles and isn't bothering anyone.
I was sitting in in my friend's class last week and the whole row of students in front of her were talking to each other, quite disruptively, the ENTIRE lecture, and apparently do it every week. What the hell is the point of even coming to class?!

Anyways, enough ranting, I've just missed what the prof was going on about.
;)
live pearl jam is best pearl jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I've noticed that some students text a lot during classes.

As the teacher, it feels as rude as if they were talking the whole time because they obviously aren't paying attention.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    justam wrote:
    I've noticed that some students text a lot during classes.

As the teacher, it feels as rude as if they were talking the whole time because they obviously aren't paying attention.

I text sometimes in class, but only if it's important. :oops:

But, I agree with the main idea of this topic -- If you're paying to go to school, and you even go the extra mile to show up....why not pay attention? Not doing so is just a huge waste of your time.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I text sometimes in class, but only if it's important. :oops:

But, I agree with the main idea of this topic -- If you're paying to go to school, and you even go the extra mile to show up....why not pay attention? Not doing so is just a huge waste of your time.
    well thats the thing.
    i mean, i'm getting pretty lazy now, i skip some classes and fall asleep in some. ...but some people spend every class watching movies or doing nothing! i'd make the assumption they aren't the ones paying for their education...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    if i was a teacher, computers and phones would not be allowed on during class.

pay attention, or get the fuck out and come back for the exams.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

well its unfortunate that people would ruin the use of laptops.
    i type much faster than i write, plus i can record my lecture and access info on the internet if i wanna google some of the things the prof is talking about.......

but i could see how they could be distractions
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    Some dude in my Network + class was just out cold. If you're going to sleep why even be in class.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    Some dude in my Network + class was just out cold. If you're going to sleep why even be in class.

Because it's better than working for the rest of your life. I graduated college and have now been in the working world for about 10 years. Who cares what other people in your class are doing. Enjoy being there while you can. Life begins to suck a little more when you get out. Wait.......a lot more, I just remembered how much fun I had in college. Working sucks.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
    Kevinman wrote:

Because it's better than working for the rest of your life. I graduated college and have now been in the working world for about 10 years. Who cares what other people in your class are doing. Enjoy being there while you can. Life begins to suck a little more when you get out. Wait.......a lot more, I just remembered how much fun I had in college. Working sucks.

This is why i'm having troubles finding what I want to do in uni... i don't wanna end up working at a job i hate :shock:
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    edited March 2010
    haffajappa wrote:
    Kevinman wrote:

This is why i'm having troubles finding what I want to do in uni... i don't wanna end up working at a job i hate :shock:

Best of luck to you, I don't think there is a job out there I would like. Besides the obvious rock star, pro athlete, and other dream jobs.
    Post edited by Kevinman on
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Yeah, I never understood the people who went to class every day, but never paid attention at all. Why even go?

But I went to school in the mid-90's without text messages and wireless internet. With my lack of attention span, I'd probably just be distracted online anyway.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    Kevinman wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: That's good advice...if I was 22. I'm 32 and was also in the working world for the last 10 years. I know how much it blows. It blows even worse when you get laid off.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
    The trend I see in lectures these days is students facebooking and playing Farmville for Christ's sake! If some students were talking in front of you during a class, would you straight away ask 'em to shut up?
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    81 wrote:

With adults it's harder to insist upon something like that. I think I'll have to put a note about it in the syllabus next semester.

I'm not someone who would humiliate anyone by calling them out in the middle of class. They think they're being sly by doing under the desk or in the back rows. :? :geek:

I do tend to ask them to answer questions though and then they often say "Um, what?" "I guess I wasn't paying attention..."
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    about the working thing, i work 4 - 5 days a week on top of going to uni... so i guess its not a grown up job but i know how much working hard for peanuts blows
  • Fuck, I HATE those people who come to class and disrupt everything or just sit there and do nothing. My education is completely paid for between scholarships and my parents' help and I am extremely grateful for it. I still have a job and work my ass off to earn my grades. I'm there to learn, not to waste professors' and other students' time.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    teachers shouldn't put up with such crap. shut the fuck up, turn your phones off or get the hell out of the classroom. people are disrespectful as fuck. it's quite disgusting and classless.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited April 2010
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135