PJ at MSG - Record Shopping By Day

JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
edited March 2010 in The Porch
I hereby offer to you a fabulous itinerary to record shopping in New York when Pearl Jam is at MSG:

5/20/10 - Williamsburg and the East Village:

(take L train to Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn)
10:00AM - breakfast at the Bagel Store (Bedford Avenue and North 4th Street) - standard bagels rock, but the real treat is the french toast bagel (much better than a Starbucks or Panera)
11:00AM - Earwax Records (Bedford Avenue and North 6th) - if you are looking for something new and indie, this is the place to start, though the price tags are generally steep. Tends to be a browsing only store for me.
12:00PM - Academy Records (North 6th and Berry or Wythe Streets) - the mecca in Brooklyn. Huge store, tons of used vinyl ranging from $2 to very expensive, great for classic rock and the new bins.
1:00PM - Sound Fix (Bedford Avenue and North 9th) - good for both CDs and vinyl. Primarily indie, but you'd be surprised what else you will find there.
1:30PM - Head back to Manhattan (L train to 1st Avenue) - get lunch at Artichoke (artichoke slice alone will fill you at least until dinner), maybe get desert at Led Zeppole (next door)
2:30PM - Academy Records Annex (12th Street bet. Avenue A and 1st Avenue) - sister store to the Brooklyn location, just as awesome.
3:30PM - Sounds (St. Mark's and 3rd Ave) - Last time I was there, mostly CDs, but a great selection nonetheless, and there are usually a few stores you can chance by on the path there and on St. Mark's, which was the former record store capital of the East Village until the big stores (you'll see) took over.
4:00PM - Other Music (East 4th Street and Lafayette Street) - the "it" record store of the last couple of years , had Grizzly Bear DJing set on Record Store Day Last year
4:30PM - head to MSG to soak in vibe and catch Pearl Jam

5/21/10 - J&R and West Village

4, 5, 2, 3, J, M, A, C to Fulton Street
10:00AM - grab breakfast anywhere you see fit
10:30AM - J&R Music and Computer Work (Park Row) - the mecca of NYC, mostly commercial stuff, but really awesome. Check out the electronics while you are there and reserve at least 2 hours for CDs, records, and movies (3 floors)
12:30PM - take A, C to West 4th Street, each lunch anywhere you see fit
1:30PM - Bleecker Street Records (Bleecker near 6th Avenue) - one of my personal favorites, the bootleg DVDs have always been a favorite of mine here
2:30PM - Generation Records (around Bleecker and Thompson) - awesome place, large $1 records section
3:30PM - Disc-O-Rama (West 4th Street and MacDougal) - Awesome store, records downstairs, AMAZING posters (including '92 Lollapalooza posters from time to time)
4:30PM - head to MSG to soak in the vibe and enjoy Pearl Jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments