Fantasy Baseball Discussion: Advice, Venting, Trades etc

intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I've been playing fantasy baseball for 11 years now and I love it. I used to play in 5 or 6 leagues a year but I only do one now with the same guys i started with 11 years ago. I know i've seen a lot of threads about pearl jam based leagues and others so i thought it would be a cool to have a thread to bounce ideas around in.

I had my draft last night and to be honest it's the most disappointed i've been after a draft ever. I just don't care for my team too much.

I do Head 2 Head 8x8
Batting- Runs, RBI, Hits, SB, AVG, HR, OPS, K
Pitching- ERA, WHIP, K, Wins, Losses, CG, Saves, Holds

I came out with:
C-Matt Wieters
1b- Prince Fielder
2b- Rickie Weeks
SS- Alexie Ramirez
3B- Pablo Sandoval
OF-Carl Crawford
OF- Andre Ethier
OF- Carlos Lee
Utility- Alex Rios

SP-Jon Lester
SP- Clayton Kershaw
SP- Brett Anderson
SP-Ervin Santana
SP-Tim Hudson
SP- Ted Lilly

Closer- Francisco Rodriguez
Closer- Chad Cordero
Closer- Mike Gonzalez

Holds/Saves- Matt Guierrer
Holds- Todd Coffey
Bench- Placido Polonco
Bench- Sean Rodriguiez

I’m dropping polanco and picking up either hideki matsui or paul konerko to get some more power in the line up. I hate that I have so few guys who can steal 20 bases. I thought sold myself on Ervin Santana, but I’m having second guesses about this now. I’m hoping Ted Lilly comes back earl and is okay.

Ugh such a frustrating start to the year.
Charlotte 00
Charlotte 03
Asheville 04
Atlanta 12
Greenville 16, Columbia 16
Seattle 18 
Nashville 22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NoCode416NoCode416 Posts: 416
    This team doesn't look too bad.

It looks like you used two of your higher picks on Sandoval and Crawford. Both of these guys are top players, yet they lack the noticeable superstar quality that you scan for when looking over a fanasy roster. And this brings some doubt...

If those two guys, along with Wieters and Kershaw, do what they're supposed to, you'll have a shot.

I'll post my 12team league roster that I drafted last night (Pearl Jam league) sometime later.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    NoCode416 wrote:
    This team doesn't look too bad.

It looks like you used two of your higher picks on Sandoval and Crawford. Both of these guys are top players, yet they lack the noticeable superstar quality that you scan for when looking over a fanasy roster. And this brings some doubt...

If those two guys, along with Wieters and Kershaw, do what they're supposed to, you'll have a shot.

I'll post my 12team league roster that I drafted last night (Pearl Jam league) sometime later.
    I took prince fielder in the first.
    In pretty much every mock i did ian kinsler was there for my second pick... but he was taken right before i picked. So i took crawford... i've hated it ever since. I don't like drafting steal guys early, but it just seemed he was teh best availble.

Sandoval was my third pick i like him but i'm nervous about him. Between him and Prince fielder i have two guys who are not gonna steal jack anything.

Just very frustrated with how things went. I'll have to play the wire a lot this year i think.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Prince Fielder is one of the top 7 or 8 guys that are basically interchangeable as far as being a top tier pick... I'm not a fan of Crawford but that is probably because he fcked up my league (last year?). Same with Alex Rios. Pitching looks a little weak. I can see why you're not too enthusiastic about your draft. Just being honest... :D

Here is mine... I'm pretty happy with it. ARod, Jose Reyes, Justin Upton, and Zack Greinke are all top 25 players, IMO. Roy Oswalt I think is undervalued in most rankings and will have a good year again (15 wins, 3.00 era, TONS of strikeouts). DLee and Abreu are the guys that will probably make or break me.

C Russell Martin
    1B Derrek Lee
    2B Asdrubal Cabrera
    3B Álex Rodríguez
    SS José Reyes
    OF Justin Upton
    OF Bobby Abreu
    OF Adam Jones
    Util Lance Berkman
    Util Jason Kubel
    BN Carlos Quentin
    BN Jason Varitek
    BN Orlando Hudson
    BN Brandon Inge

SP Zack Greinke
    SP Jon Lester
    RP Carlos Mármol
    RP Ryan Franklin
    P Roy Oswalt
    P Frank Francisco
    P Jonathan Sánchez
    P David Price
    BN Mat Latos
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    Hi All,

I remember a couple of years ago there was a fantast league going from the oard here.

Is there one this year? Have I missed it?

I just want to have a wee bit of fun,probably finish last(I am from England after all) and be baffled by a six month long daily grind!

Any help?

Tom
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I think your team looks pretty solid.

I like oswalt a good bit as well but i would disagree with the ton of strikouts. I think a respectiable 150 is within his reach but I don't think he will aproach the 180-200 level. I just don't see him as that kind of pitcher anymore. That said behind Greinke and Lester i think he will be very solid.

he was availble when i picked Brett Anderson and in retrospect i might should have gone with him but i am hoping brett can have a breakout year.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22