I just got lost my job.

VH123058VH123058 Posts: 151
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
So friday morning comes around, And I got called in for a meeting to be told I got layed off. I feel like shit and dont kwno what to do, but I'm willing to get the wifes car and just drive. Maybe I will follow PJ from LA, anybody willing to join me? Or if you have an extra tx,in every show, let me know. I just dont want to be alone at home, since my wife is traveling outside of the country during this time. Help me out TC members, I just want to listen to some good music and feel better.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,477
    What line of work were you in??
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • VH123058VH123058 Posts: 151
    Nielsen TV ratings.
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    how about looking for ANOTHER job...??

The momentumn is in your favor right now..

the longer you are out the less likely you are to get hired..

New employers are suspicious about long periods of unemployment..

even if it is unwarranted...

Take it from me..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • WashedWashed Posts: 736
    VH123058 wrote:
    So friday morning comes around, And I got called in for a meeting to be told I got layed off. I feel like shit and dont kwno what to do, but I'm willing to get the wifes car and just drive. Maybe I will follow PJ from LA, anybody willing to join me? Or if you have an extra tx,in every show, let me know. I just dont want to be alone at home, since my wife is traveling outside of the country during this time. Help me out TC members, I just want to listen to some good music and feel better.

You're not alone, my friend. I got laid off 2 weeks ago and know what you're going through. Music (Yield, most specifically) has definitely pulled me through the 'mourning' phase, along with some friends and a couple of bottles of wine. Moving on to the 'taking stock' phase and figuring out what is next, now.

With the tour coming up, you're about to be surrounded by a bunch of very good people who share your passion for Pearl Jam. That always helps me.

Good luck and hang in there.
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • I am going on 4 years no job to the date...And the sooner you get back to work the better...I wouldn't be selling my benny,into the wild, and lost dogs vinyl....I guess I could join the Army if it gets any worse....Unemployable Homer...peace
  • airblue1airblue1 Posts: 404
    I would be on the west coast surfing and eating Hinano Burgers in Venice
    Hail To the Victors
    I refer to those in front...
  • locked wrote:
    New employers are suspicious about long periods of unemployment..

that would be a lot more true 2 years ago. i think employers are fully aware of how bad the job market is currently...you know...because they're employers.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Everyone in my office is finding out today that they are closing our office and absorbing our jobs at our parent company. I was fortunate enough to have an opportunity offered to me prior to knowing this, as my last day would have been April 30th. One reason I decided not to get tickets for this tour, didn't want to ask for time off right away in case I got the job, and wasn't feeling too good about my current job, and now I know I had good reason....
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,262
    VH123058 wrote:
    I'm so very sorry for this.

As you are lay-d off you have access to some benefits, right, like unemployment benefits and compensation, and dislocated workers benefits. I was laid off, and I was able to access dislocated workers benefits to pay for school for a new career. This may not be the most glamorous thing to do when you're in a funk caused by a lay-off, but get your paperwork in order, and ask someone to look over your resume for you. I just asked an older sister to review my resume, and her feedback was incredibly helpful.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I fully agree with many of the above posters. Take this time to begin a full blown job search/advertising campaign for yourself. Contact everyone you can that has worked with you before and let them know you are looking, who knows, you may have made a positive impression on someone who would love to bring you on board. In all candor, I'm an executive at the company I work for, and would not hire someone who celebrated his lay off by following a band on tour.

The days immediately after losing your job are the most critical, as folks tend to become out of sight/out of mind with prospective employers after a while.

Also, attend any trade shows within the industry you are trained in and network like crazy. I can't stress enough that you cannot make enough contacts.

Best of luck to you, hard work will pay off.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    ouch!
    i feel for you - and i wish you the best of luck in finding new employment, and quickly!

as to following the band or not, very personal decision. i have a gap in my employment history, not quite a year. i DID have to explain it, but it was very 'explainable'...i had chosen to take some time off to travel and to study, get certified in a new area. as long as you can give a 'reasonable' answer for any employment gap, i don't think it's such a big deal.

again, good luck to you and everyone looking!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• julesandianjulesandian Posts: 487
    Hey dude, sorry to hear about your job, I feel your pain. I was told 4 weeks ago my position was potentially at risk of redundancy, then 2 weeks ago, it was confirmed that it was definately at risk, then last week told I finish on the 16th April. I get 1 months money for my efforts over the last four years and I have to work my notice period.

I got tickets for Hyde Park in London on the 25th and I know that for those glorious few hours my band and my Jamily will give me what I need to be me, not a statistic. I hope I'll be employed again by then, but nothings certain except if you don't put yourself out there you can't get work.

I don't know how hard it is where you live but in England, in my trade construction and in my area I just joined the ranks of 170,000 unemployed but you have to stay positive, not let it be personal. Keep your belief in yourself, things always have a habit of working out, and if not let the music heal yourself from the inside and don't shut your wife out, she will want to support you.

Good luck,
    Ian