Need Opinion on "Golden State" -- for my wedding

walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
edited March 2010 in The Porch
My fiancee and I are getting married in less than 3 months, and I was given the task of being in charge of the music (actually, I appointed myself, haha). So for the past month I have been scouring my library of music (and going beyond as well) making a list of songs to be played before/after the ceremony, and searching for one special song for our first dance as well.

Finally last week I made my fiancee a CD with my 21 top choices, and I asked her to help me narrow that list down to one song for our first dance. She loved most of the choices, and now we are left with 5 songs to choose from for our first dance. One of the songs is the Eddie/Corinn Tucker duet "The Golden State." It's my first choice among the 5 because, naturally, I am an obsessed PJ fan, and it seems to be a better tempo for dancing than the other PJ song on the list ("Thin Air").

She loves it too, and she's almost willing to have it be THE choice, but she's hesitant because she can't figure out if the song is "mean" at all. I mean, she recognizes it as a sweet song, but she doesn't want our wedding attendees (most or all of whom would have never heard the song before) to listen to it and form the first impression that the speakers in the song have some animosity toward each other. I don't see the song that way at all...I think it's incredibly sweet and fun, but then again, I have heard it a billion times so I have had more time to form that opinion. :D

What do you guys think? If putting yourself in the shoes of first-time listeners of the song, would you consider it an appropriate song for a happy couple to use as their first dance? Or is there some level of mean-spiritedness to it?

Here are they lyrics for anyone who hasn't memorized them already:

You are the hole in my head
I am the pain in your neck
You are the lump in my throat
I am the aching in your heart
We are tangled
We are stolen
We are living where things are hidden

You are something in my eye
And I am the shiver down your spine
You are on the lick of my lips
And I am on the tip of your tongue
We are tangled
We are stolen
We are buried up to our necks in sand

We are luck
We are ]fate
We are the feeling you get in the golden state
We are love
We are hate
We are the feeling I get when you walk away….
Walk away

Well you are the dream in my nightmare
I am that falling sensation
You are not needles and pills
I am your hangover morning
We are tangled
We are stolen

We are luck
We are fate
We are love
We are hate
We are the feeling I get when you walk away
Walk away
Walk away

You are the pain in your neck
Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569

Haha...thanks a lot for the help. :lol:

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • EvenstevenEvensteven Posts: 869
    1. Who gives a shit what anyone thinks?
    2. Every time I've heard this song I think of a couple making it... Not mean. I take it as they compliment each other.

Use it.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Dark StarDark Star Posts: 496
    Which one? The sudio version they did or the xmas single version?
  • Sorry... saw Behind the Music: Bobby Brown, and I felt compelled.

Golden state works...

I do think of "Thin Air" as better fitting a wedding dance tho.
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
    Dark Star wrote:

There are two different versions?

The one we have listened to is an mp3 of the Xmas single.

Anyone know where to find the other version?

• Dark StarDark Star Posts: 496
    Dark Star wrote:

There are two different versions?

The one we have listened to is an mp3 of the Xmas single.

Anyone know where to find the other version?

Yeh, the other version is the studio take and the xmas single is the demo. The studio version is a little faster and would be better as a wedding song, it's produced and with full instrumentation.

It's on a Mike Watt single I think, I couldnt find it in my local indie store. I think I know where you can hear it though, I'll get back to you.
  • Hey man. I'm getting married in 3 weeks and I was also charged with the music task. Would you mind sharing your list with me? My email is <!-- e --><a href="mailto:arazorbackguy1@gmail.com">arazorbackguy1@gmail.com</a><!-- e -->. Would greatly appreciate it :)
    Straight down the center for a hot chicken dinner!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,242
    Huge PJ fan. Built wedding setlist with no PJ on it. Just felt like nobody could dance to it. Ha! Then someone called an audible (without permission) and had Alive played at the end. All of a sudden it was like one of my HS dances circa 1992-3. Good luck man, and happy engagement!
    www.cluthelee.com
    Dark Star wrote:

Thanks! I also just downloaded off gremmie.net. :D

Definitely throws another option out there...thanks for your help!

Huge PJ fan. Built wedding setlist with no PJ on it. Just felt like nobody could dance to it. Ha! Then someone called an audible (without permission) and had Alive played at the end. All of a sudden it was like one of my HS dances circa 1992-3. Good luck man, and happy engagement!

Totally agree with you on the dancing part. The only PJ songs that will be on our playlist are for dinner/pre-ceremony time (when people are mingling and eating, not dancing); the only exception might be our first dance if we decide to go with TGS.

Although I wouldn't mind if somebody called an audible and finished the night off with Yellow Ledbetter. :D

Hey man. I'm getting married in 3 weeks and I was also charged with the music task. Would you mind sharing your list with me? My email is <!-- e --><a href="mailto:arazorbackguy1@gmail.com">arazorbackguy1@gmail.com</a><!-- e -->. Would greatly appreciate it :)

Here's a screenshot of the original 28 songs on the playlist. Many of them are geared toward our individual tastes, but hopefully you find a few things on there that strike your fancy. :D

http://www.box.net/shared/m5k48sgs6b

• Hey man. I'm getting married in 3 weeks and I was also charged with the music task. Would you mind sharing your list with me? My email is <!-- e --><a href="mailto:arazorbackguy1@gmail.com">arazorbackguy1@gmail.com</a><!-- e -->. Would greatly appreciate it :)

Here's a screenshot of the original 28 songs on the playlist. Many of them are geared toward our individual tastes, but hopefully you find a few things on there that strike your fancy. :D

http://www.box.net/shared/m5k48sgs6b
    Thank you sir!
    Straight down the center for a hot chicken dinner!
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    My fiancee and I are getting married in less than 3 months, and I was given the task of being in charge of the music (actually, I appointed myself, haha). So for the past month I have been scouring my library of music (and going beyond as well) making a list of songs to be played before/after the ceremony, and searching for one special song for our first dance as well.

Finally last week I made my fiancee a CD with my 21 top choices, and I asked her to help me narrow that list down to one song for our first dance. She loved most of the choices, and now we are left with 5 songs to choose from for our first dance. One of the songs is the Eddie/Corinn Tucker duet "The Golden State." It's my first choice among the 5 because, naturally, I am an obsessed PJ fan, and it seems to be a better tempo for dancing than the other PJ song on the list ("Thin Air").

She loves it too, and she's almost willing to have it be THE choice, but she's hesitant because she can't figure out if the song is "mean" at all. I mean, she recognizes it as a sweet song, but she doesn't want our wedding attendees (most or all of whom would have never heard the song before) to listen to it and form the first impression that the speakers in the song have some animosity toward each other. I don't see the song that way at all...I think it's incredibly sweet and fun, but then again, I have heard it a billion times so I have had more time to form that opinion. :D

What do you guys think? If putting yourself in the shoes of first-time listeners of the song, would you consider it an appropriate song for a happy couple to use as their first dance? Or is there some level of mean-spiritedness to it?

Here are they lyrics for anyone who hasn't memorized them already:

I am the pain in your neck
    We are tangled
    We are stolen

You are something in my eye
    And I am the shiver down your spine
    You are on the lick of my lips
    And I am on the tip of your tongue
    We are tangled
    We are stolen
    We are buried up to our necks in sand

We are luck
    We are ]fate
    We are love
    We are hate
    We are the feeling I get when you walk away….
    Walk away

Well you are the dream in my nightmare
    I am that falling sensation
    You are not needles and pills
    I am your hangover morning
    We are tangled
    We are stolen

We are luck
    We are fate
    We are love
    We are hate
    We are the feeling I get when you walk away
    Walk away
    Walk away

You are the pain in your neck

I don't think the lyrics are quite right for the first dance at your wedding. It's a song about stolen and mixed-feeling love, not married, committed, happy love.

Find another song.

How about some of the songs from Backspacer? They are better love songs. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    Evensteven wrote:
    2. Every time I've heard this song I think of a couple making it... Not mean. I take it as they compliment each other.

Use it.

+1
    I've always loved this song..as good as version with Corin is, Ed with EJ Barnes is pretty magical
    If there are any versions (EV solo Maui, Hon 1, or Hon 2) around good enough quality to use, I'd highly recommend over Corin

Congrats and best wishes!
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows