Beagles

JohnnyguitarwatsonJohnnyguitarwatson Posts: 296
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Any Beagle Owners on here ?

Could really use some advice to get my 2 beagles to stop howling at everything in sight.
:shock:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    God I love a good howl be thankful so much more friendly than the bark
  • Yeah howling is a little easier on the ears however i just feel bad for my neighbors ha ha. i tried bark collars pennies in a can ...everything. Guess you cant take away what their bred to do
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Try to hypnotize them into thinking that they are no longer beagles? With that breed, I think you're pretty much screwed.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    First, what is the trigger? Growing up, my Dad always had a Beagle since he was an avid hunter, and Beagles are one of the best hunting dogs out there. The howl is your dogs way of communicating to you, either he's alerting you to the rabbit in the yard or the car driving by, or he's just bored and wants attention.

One of the best ways to help with this is simply to tire the dog out.... Beagles are bred for long treks in the woods tracking down Deer or Rabbits or whatever for their owners. They need VERY long walks or a nice lengthy game of catch before night fall.

A tired Beagle is happy... he's done his job for the day. Beagles need a job, it sounds funny but it's true. One of the funnest games we used to play with one of our Beagles was hide and seek. We lived in the country so my Dad would have me wear a head band and we'd trek into the woods with the Beagle on a leash. I would hand Dad my headband and walk deep into the woods, he'd give me 15 minutes to get as far as I could then he would let Duke smell the headband, let him go and he'd always find me in minutes. It was hysterical... and the dog was always so excited when he found me.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    maybe ask someone in here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=80212

i have a husky, she howls sometimes and does like a howl/bark when non-family members come into the house... i saw a dog trainer on the news once say you should do a loud disappoving sound like throw keys on the floor when they start, otherwise their adrenaline kicks in and they can't stop once they get going
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam