Canadian Hockey Fans...

ParksyParksy Posts: 1,749
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
your opinion is requested:

When you watch the Toronto Maple Leafs play... does it ever bother you that the fans are non existent for the puck drops after each intermission?

My belief is that a lot of tickets are sold to corporations. (especially the season tickets) Now, if you own the Leafs... and you know that those seats are going to be purchased regardless.... wouldn't it make more sense to sell tickets to fans as opposed to corporations?

I think it might put a little more pressure on the players to play better as well.

Just a thought.
Toronto 2000
Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
Boston I&II 2004
Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
Toronto I&II 2011
Buffalo 2013
Toronto I&II 2016
10C: 220xxx
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    Why? That's all the Air Canada center is, a business table.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Watching the Leafs play bothers me in general, but you're right anyway.
  • jmsjms Posts: 243
    If I were a Toronto fan I'd be pissed about more than just ppl not getting to their seats after intermission.
  • TimmortalTimmortal Posts: 88
    If you are a hockey fan I doubt you'd be watching the leafs LOL but I agree I been to a couple games and its sad that the fans dont always get a seat cause some suit is in the bar drinking. On the other hand thats probley why toronto always suck! The only good thing about watching at the ACC is they play PEARL JAM alot
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Toronto 10/01/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchner 09/11/05
    London 09/12/05
    Hamilton 09/13/05
    Toronto 05/9/06
    Toronto 05/10/06
    Please play SATANS BED
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    the only time there is any atmosphere at the ACC during a Leafs game is the last 10 minutes of a game when all the corporate chumps and free ticket holders have left to beat traffic

comparing the atmosphere during Leaf games to Montreal games is shameful for Leaf fans

I hate the Leafs too
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • shepshep Posts: 5,765
    First of all, you need to stop analyzing the leafs... i mean think about this: The leafs are the only team in the history of professional sports to actually have their fanbase increase while the team was getting worse.

And let's not forget the fact that if you are a leafs fan under the age of 43 you have never seen your favorite team win a stanley cup.

I just hope chicago wins the cup this year (Well, barring a miracle on ice and the Habs making it to the final), so the the leafs become the team in professional sports with the longest championship drought.

But to the point of the thread: 1/2 of the lower bowl seats at the ACC are empty at any given point in the game. Unfortunately tickets are no longer affordable to the masses in Toronto. The last game I saw, I couldn't get tickets until the day of the game when they release the last row in the lower bowl. I paid $200 a ticket and had the delivery boy's (another awesome idea drummed up by Toronto business men who actually like watching hockey so they don't have to leave their seats during play) block my sightlines for 2 out of the 5 goals scored in the game. The ACC is nothing but a pompus business table for Toronto's finanical elite at this point....

Can I add GO Habs GO? :D
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    as a leaf fan ... i agree ... mlse is operated by a bunch of dicks ... don't even get me started on richard peddie ... i sometimes get those "seats" at games and it's frustrating to know that there could be a real fan sitting next to me when the puck drops or tip off for the raptors ... but that is the nature of professional sports ... take something so pure and rape it for all it's worth ...
    shep wrote:
    Can I add GO Habs GO? :D
    Right on brotha!
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x wrote:
    as a leaf fan ... i agree ... mlse is operated by a bunch of dicks ... don't even get me started on richard peddie ... i sometimes get those "seats" at games and it's frustrating to know that there could be a real fan sitting next to me when the puck drops or tip off for the raptors ... but that is the nature of professional sports ... take something so pure and rape it for all it's worth ...

I think your biggest problem is the teachers pension owns a huge part of mlse and they are all about making money for teachers pensions not winning. Unless your the NFL, sports is not about making money, it's a rich guys hobby. What do the leafs spend on payroll? Are they up in the top? Also if I'm a leaf fan, I'm a little disturbed to think that Burke traded away 2 number 1's and a second for Kessel a 64 point man, those picks could have been the foundation for years to come.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

I think your biggest problem is the teachers pension owns a huge part of mlse and they are all about making money for teachers pensions not winning. Unless your the NFL, sports is not about making money, it's a rich guys hobby. What do the leafs spend on payroll? Are they up in the top? Also if I'm a leaf fan, I'm a little disturbed to think that Burke traded away 2 number 1's and a second for Kessel a 64 point man, those picks could have been the foundation for years to come.

Does the Boston Bruins have the Leafs #1 pick this year?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Not everyone can have the sedins ;)
    <3

my friend works at GM place catering the box suites... some of the corporate sponsors and employees are huge dicks to the staff, like they're really someone.
    Stupid in Toronto for them to get all the seats. Especially when you have to wait like 952962 generations to get seasons tickets
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    g under p wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Peace

1 and 2 this year and the 1 next year, all for a 64 point man. This year they could have had Taylor Hall, Cam Fowler or Tyler Seguin any of them are shaping up to be stars in the NHL.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    or maybe they avoided a Daigle.

It does suck for Leaf fans. The price and availability of seats. This is why I do not get upset when Leaf fans invade HSBC Arena in droves and act a little over the top.
  • RoughMixRoughMix Posts: 385
    g under p wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Peace

Boston has the leafs first and second round picks in 2010.
    First round pick in 2011.
    The thing that pisses me off the most is the monopoly the Leafs have on almost every Saturday night on CBC.
    Get that shit team off the tube and show someone(anyone) else.
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    RoughMix wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Peace

Boston has the leafs first and second round picks in 2010.
    First round pick in 2011.
    The thing that pisses me off the most is the monopoly the Leafs have on almost every Saturday night on CBC.
    Get that shit team off the tube and show someone(anyone) else.

I would like to see more teams playing in Canada, we don't need any Columbus and Nashville playing anymore.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:

I would like to see more teams playing in Canada, we don't need any Columbus and Nashville playing anymore.

Peace
    Good timing, Montreal is on HNIC right now, getting killed by Jersey.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    I prefer Bob Cole way more than Hughson. Even at this age.
  • RoughMixRoughMix Posts: 385
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I prefer Bob Cole way more than Hughson. Even at this age.

Oh,I don't know man,Bob Cole drives me crazy.
    I can't stand the CBC anyway.
    If it wasn't for HNIC they would never be on my telly.
    After ripping off that old lady for the HNIC theme for years,CBC blew it and lost the rights to CTV.
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • Parksy wrote:

Now, if you own the Leafs... and you know that those seats are going to be purchased regardless.... wouldn't it make more sense to sell tickets to fans as opposed to corporations?

Yes, if I owned the Leafs, I'd want those tickets going to fans, but ownership is entirely impersonal with the Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan owning 66% of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE). They don't care. :problem:
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,749
    SWEET!

Excellent replies...

Totally agree with someone up there saying what a piece of garbage it is to have the Leafs on every HNIC broadcast.

AND ALSO.... Sportsnet Ontario... these ridiculous BLACKOUTS in effect bullshit drives me crazy. Another team is in ONTARIO too!! The SENATORS!! And they MAKE THE PLAYOFFS MOST years.

For my playoff predictions.. .see the 2010 NHL Playoff's Thread. :)
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
    Totally agree with leafs monopoly on HNIC...
  • Royals32Royals32 Posts: 160
    Regarding the empty seats in the lower bowl, the section that always seems empty at the beginning of periods is the Air Canada Club. Each ticket holder in that section has access to a private box/lounge below the seats that is furnished with food and drink (not free), beautiful brown leather furniture and a nice plasma/flat screen TV.

Once the buzzer goes at the end of a period there is a mad rush of people trying to get down to their boxes. When the period starts again, there's another rush of people - although less mad - trying to get back into their seats but the ushers won't allow people to enter the aisles and get to their seats during play so there were about 400 people standing in the hall under the seats waiting for a whistle so they can get to their seats. An offside or similar short break isn't enough time to allow everyone to get to their seats in time so what eventually happened was that people got fed up with standing in the hall and now they just stay in their boxes now and watch the game there and wait until the period is 5 minutes in, then stroll over to their seats.

I don't know the exact numbers but I think the seat license for that section is about $200,000 PLUS the actual cost of tickets at about $200 per. I seriously doubt that there are enough private citizens who have that kind of cake.
    #==(o )

You are not your job.
    You are not how much money you have in the bank.
    You are not the car you drive.
    You are not the contents of your wallet.
    You are not your fucking khakis.
  • haffajappa wrote:

There's a reason for the monopoly. The Leafs generate greater ratings.

The Leafs used to be on every HNIC broadcast, but they changed that last season and the Leafs were dropped from four Saturday night broadcasts. This year it was only two because HNIC ratings were down on the Saturdays they didn't play last season.

As frustrating as it may be for Leaf haters, there are more Leaf fans in Canada than any other team, and it doesn't matter how bad the Leafs are, they watch them.

It's not some sort of conspiracy by Leaf fans at CBC. It's all about the ratings.
    haffajappa wrote:

There's a reason for the monopoly. The Leafs generate greater ratings.

The Leafs used to be on every HNIC broadcast, but they changed that last season and the Leafs were dropped from four Saturday night broadcasts. This year it was only two because HNIC ratings were down on the Saturdays they didn't play last season.

As frustrating as it may be for Leaf haters, there are more Leaf fans in Canada than any other team, and it doesn't matter how bad the Leafs are, they watch them.

It's not some sort of conspiracy by Leaf fans at CBC. It's all about the ratings.
    Lol that isn't frustrating, it is simply not true. Your ratings drop is due to the loss of viewers in, big surprise, Southern Ontario. That is greater ratings.
  • Rygar wrote:
    Lol that isn't frustrating, it is simply not true. Your ratings drop is due to the loss of viewers in, big surprise, Southern Ontario. That is greater ratings.

A drop in ratings regardless.

Unfortunately for non-Leaf fans, it is the populated Southern Ontario that dictates what games are broadcast.
    Rygar wrote:

A drop in ratings regardless.

Unfortunately for non-Leaf fans, it is the populated Southern Ontario that dictates what games are broadcast.
    True, and I did acknowledge that that is a drop in ratings all the same.
    Well thats why other stations like sportsnet are wiser... they play the team in your region. (Or at least they used to, not sure if they still do since my hockey watching has all but crumbled with my work schedule)