and the country with the worst tippers is.......

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Spain!

I'm moving there asap. they are my new heroes.

A new study has revealed that Spanish tourists are the least generous when it comes to tipping on holiday.

An overwhelming 80% of Spanish travellers who were questioned by TripAdvisor said that they do not always tip when they visit other countries.

They were closely followed by 78% of Italians and 76% of French, while 57% of British people surveyed said that they didn't always reward service staff.

The study into tipping etiquette, which polled 2,441 travellers, also revealed that three-quarters of Britons don't always research tipping customs before holidaying abroad.

As a result, 15% said they had been confronted by staff for not leaving a tip and 6% said their holiday had been ruined because of this type of experience.

Two-thirds of Brits also admitted that they are put off holidaying in the United States because of its well-known hard-line tipping culture.

Commenting on the study, Emyr Thomas, director of concierge and lifestyle management company Bon Vivant, said: "Tipping can be socially awkward and can cause endless embarrassment, especially on holiday when we are unfamiliar with local customs.

"In some countries it is considered rude not to tip, so you might need to justify yourself, just as in others, such as Japan, it is often considered rude to tip at all."

He added: "I would always recommend reading up about the customs of a particular country before travelling there. However, if you are stuck, adding a tip of 10% is the course of action least likely to cause offence and embarrassment, especially in Europe, where customs do not vary too much.”
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,048
    Funnt stuff. But I noticed a key word in the premise ...."always".. I live in the states and frankly if the service rates what the make per hour they ain't getting more from me.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    dunkman wrote:
    Two-thirds of Brits also admitted that they are put off holidaying in the United States because of its well-known hard-line tipping culture.

wow, the real truth finally comes out; americans don't want brits to visit, so we follow a 'hard-line' tipping culture. ;)

:lol:

i've never met anyone so focused on tipping. haha.

and, i agree with this:

Commenting on the study, Emyr Thomas, director of concierge and lifestyle management company Bon Vivant, said: "Tipping can be socially awkward and can cause endless embarrassment, especially on holiday when we are unfamiliar with local customs.

"In some countries it is considered rude not to tip, so you might need to justify yourself, just as in others, such as Japan, it is often considered rude to tip at all."

He added: "I would always recommend reading up about the customs of a particular country before travelling there. However, if you are stuck, adding a tip of 10% is the course of action least likely to cause offence and embarrassment, especially in Europe, where customs do not vary too much.”

i think if you are going to travel, it IS important to do a bit of research, so you can be respectful of the local customs of the place and people you are visiting.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    i thought was Italians...maybe the spanish need the change for drop the to the bulls for make them more angry.. :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    makes sense. my dad is from spain, and he's a horrible tipper. then again he's a real cheapo, so there's that too lol
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    clearly they never interviewed anyone from Scotland in that survey. ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Who doesn't tip for good service? thats pretty cheap

come to these parts and don't tip.. expect a snot in your food :D
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

civilised countries dont... they pay their staff a good hourly wage

and how can you get a snot in your food after you've eaten it? I don't think tourists tend to spend 2 weeks of their vacation at the same restaurant every night... they move around and try other places.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I think I must be tight, after visiting two cities lately (south of where I live) noticed that the service charge was put on the end of the bill at 10%. Then in big print at the bottom it said 'service not included' - didn't like that much at all. Surely tipping is meant to be voluntary and why include it on the bill then say it isn't included?
    dunkman wrote:

and how can you get a snot in your food after you've eaten it? I don't think tourists tend to spend 2 weeks of their vacation at the same restaurant every night... they move around and try other places.
    Nontipping SMART ones do anyway!!!! :lol:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

Nontipping SMART ones do anyway!!!! :lol:

:lol:
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    dunkman wrote:

all im saying is they never forget a face

and if you like the food you might go there at least once more

but whatever works for you
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    all im saying is they never forget a face

and if you like the food you might go there at least once more

but whatever works for you

what a great advertisement for your country :clap:

it should be on more promotional advertising... "hey come eat here and if you're not happy with the service and don't tip, well we'll spit in your next meal! We never forget a face"

seriously, if they never forget a face they should perhaps get a fucking decent job with the FBI or something doing something with their amazing photographic memory skills instead of serving uncouth Spaniards in the hope that one of them leaves a 20% tip instead of 15%...
    Dunk? where you bored this morning?? Had to show the "research study" you found supporting your nontipping beliefs? hehehe

• HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    I should really consider moving to Scotland, seems like I'd fit right in with the anti-tippingness.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    when in Scotland show them your wiener and nuts for their tip.
    you know... the whole kilt thing and stuff?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • CorsoCorso Posts: 201
    Being once part of the food service industry in America tipping was a factor of service and quality. Raise the hourly rate for these folks and most issues are dealt with. Although not sure during our current times if this is what most folks in the industry would want.
  • whgarrettwhgarrett Posts: 574
    If you can't afford to tip then you shouldn't be eating out. At my restaurant it seems like the worst tippers are russians/old soviet countrymen. They are notorious for it. :D
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    whgarrett wrote:
    If you can't afford to tip then you shouldn't be eating out. At my restaurant it seems like the worst tippers are russians/old soviet countrymen. They are notorious for it. :D
    If you can't afford to Pay your staff properly. Don't open a restaurant.
    In my country, we pay the staff enough, but if I get good service I tip anyway... we also have the metric system...

I don't agree with forced tips. The service can't be good all the time....
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i dont get the anti tipping thing... as a former server throughout high school and most of college i can tell ya we need those tips! and we work our asses off for it! its the only quantifiable reward to an otherwise grueling, unrewarding job

its not like a few smart(ass) folks "challenging the system" by not tipping are suddenly gonna change things in america and servers are gonna get decent wages... i know my fair share of servers that waste that tip money on drugs and whatever... but theres just as many that depend on that to feed their kids and make car payments... people without the education or skills to do much else

so enough with the fucking moral stance

it is what it is... pay your servers appropriately... not saying 20% across the board regardless of service quality... just think about who youre effecting... cultural confusion is one thing... anything else is plain RUDE
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    Maybe the whole tipping thing could be stamped out in the USA by portion size reduction :) The owners of the places could reduce the sizes of their meals served (no one eats a whole meal anyway) and pay their staff properly with the money saved, and food not wasted :lol:
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    It's really not that difficult to do a little research prior to visiting another country. Before I took a business trip to Germany I was given a book by my boss titled Kiss, Bow, Shake Hands. It is a great tool for learning the customs of a country you are visiting. And yes, I learned from that book what I should expect to tip when I took out my hosts from Germany for a nice dinner.

I believe most tourists that visit the U.S. don't understand that the servers don't make a nice base wage and that is the cause for the confusion. But a little research would clear this up if you want to assimilate to the culture you are visiting.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    One time my mom left a tip when she first moved to Japan and the waiter chased her down the street telling her she forgot her money...he was sincere too lol

I refuse to tip bad service....
    On this continent that some sort of blasphemy............. :shock:
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    We don't tip in New Zealand because we do have pretty awesome employment laws and reasonable minimum wages. Usually in restaurants and bars there are tipping jars which mostly are used when people have a bit of loose change.

When I travel though, I make sure I do a bit of research.

The moral of my post is when travelling overseas, come to New Zealand - it might cost a fortune and take you a week to get here but at least when here you wont have to tip!!
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    It all seems to even out at the end of the day.

If there is no tipping, the servers will require a higher wage, and this will force the owners to raise prices.

If tipping is customary, the owners can pay a lower wage, but then customers end up paying more because they are inclined to tip.

Either way, I bet everyone comes out even.
  • whgarrettwhgarrett Posts: 574
    In America, we in the hospitality industry get paid well. Very well indeed. Some more than others. It is a great job that helps those with little education make a decent livable wage. I always tip 20% or more. I do not visit restaurants that give bad service. We take care of our own. What goes around comes around mentality. If it came to the point where I could not afford to throw in an extra 20.00 on a 100.00 tab then I would begin eating in more often. Just a suggestion: If you get any kind of discount on your meal in America, it is nice if you tip dependent on the price before the discount. :D