going organic

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
interesting article about organic foods:
http://www.menshealth.com/men/nutrition ... _-HTML-_-1

this especially caught my eye:

Local: The local-food movement has been very important in revitalizing small farms and communities, and bringing fresh, seasonal food to many more people. However, as a means of saving the planet and improving health, it goes only so far. Local chemical farming contaminates communities and actually increases their carbon footprint and energy usage. Local organic farming cleans up local communities and decreases their carbon footprint and energy use.

Studies show that being organic is much more critical than being local when it comes to a food's carbon footprint. In one study commissioned by PepsiCo, an independent researcher determined that the most significant component of the carbon footprint for Tropicana orange juice (a PepsiCo product) wasn't transportation or manufacturing, but the production and application of fertilizer to grow oranges.

sure, it's just one article, but i have oftentimes read that 'staying local' was more important than going organic for the overall health of the planet (not even discussing the health benefits of eating organic for your own body).

and, just good to know:

The dirty dozen

Best and worst picks in the most pesticide-laced section of the supermarket

12 foods you should always buy organic
Peaches, Apples, Sweet Bell Peppers, Celery, Nectarines, Strawberries, Cherries, Kale, Lettuce, Imported Grapes, Carrots, Pears

People who eat the 12 most contaminated conventionally grown fruits and vegetables consume an average of 10 pesticides a day, according to the Environmental Working Group. Those who consume the least contaminated produce ingest fewer than two pesticides a day. Of course, the optimal number is zero.

15 foods that are relatively pesticide-free
Onions, Avocados, Sweet Corn, Pineapples, Mangoes, Asparagus, Sweet Peas, Kiwis, Cabbage, Eggplants, Papayas, Watermelon, Broccoli, Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes

maria masters
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    As always, you have good info to read. I'm trying to go more organic and healthier when I shop. I need all the info I can get. Thanks :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    mikalina wrote:
    As always, you have good info to read. I'm trying to go more organic and healthier when I shop. I need all the info I can get. Thanks :D

right there with ya, always a balance between choosing healthy and watching the $$$.
    glad you found it informative.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    interesting piece ... what's scary is the vasts amounts of money pumped into this issue clouding the overall picture ...

i found these two points of particular interest:

We can feed the world with organic food and farming. Contrary to the propaganda churned out by biotech and chemical corporations, organic farming can feed the world. Transferring our chemically dependent agricultural system to other nations is a sure way to bring about global environmental collapse. The energy expenditure, the toxicity of the chemicals, and the soil degradation would be catastrophic. Instead, we need to export the knowledge we've gained about successful modern organic farming and help others adapt these practices to their climates, regions, and cultures.

Organic living can stop the climate crisis (whether or not you believe it exists). When you combine the impact of protecting the benefi-cial mycorrhizal fungi in the soil (which absorb and neutralize carbon) and eliminating all the toxic chemicals (and their packaging and the energy spent producing them), the carbon problem in our atmosphere is practically solved. We still need more renewable energy, but restoring the earth's ability to sequester carbon is a good place to start. And you'll do it while eating.

industrial farming has long stated that they are feeding the world and preventing hunger ... and that these points are false ... there are a couple of farmers on this board - which i'm sure we'll hear from ...
  • kl277374kl277374 Posts: 20
    Interesting post...
    I went to a lecture last night by a Columbia Univ. (NY) professor. He said that agricultural run-off from large scale, non-organic farms creates more pollution than everything else combined.

He has come up with a brilliant new model, all organic and zero waste . You might be interested in checking it out:

http://www.verticalfarm.com

Can't wait to see this implemented....
    i certainly don't have the *answers* ad really no idea who is right about it. i honestly don't think farming, in general, was "meant" to be, as in, natural design. however, we DO farm, and given the world populations, it's not even an option NOT to.....so it is very interesting to me to read and see various studies, on all sides of the issue. so i am certainly not pushing this article as being *right*......just something interesting i read. tho i must say, i really have to agree to a certain extent that ingesting all these chemicals really can't be a great thing.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    Just keep in mind that a few years ago the very same biotech and industrial food companies got the USDA to revise the regulations regarding the requirements for "organic" food labeling. That is part of the reason you are seeing so many "organic" products in your average grocery store.

I think "going local," means that local organic products are probably more "organic" than that which is imported or produced by a factory farm.

Its a fascinating topic. For sure.
    Get_Right wrote:
    Just keep in mind that a few years ago the very same biotech and industrial food companies got the USDA to revise the regulations regarding the requirements for "organic" food labeling. That is part of the reason you are seeing so many "organic" products in your average grocery store.

I think "going local," means that local organic products are probably more "organic" than that which is imported or produced by a factory farm.

Its a fascinating topic. For sure.

that is key. local. organic.
    i have read that organic or not, it was best to buy local, simply for the carbon footprint. this article is suggesting the possibility that if just looking at carbon footprint, tis better to buy non-local organic produce as opposed to non-organic local produce. obviously, the absolute best choice would be local organic....but that wasn't what was being compared. that interests me simply b/c it runs counter to other things i have read. as to factory farming, idk of much organic produce, whether local or not, that produces any. most organics are not so much factory farmed.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    great topic d2d!

so, finding a local organic farmer would be the best. all the pesticides we ingest and the chemicals people put on their lawns, thus go in the drinking water can NOT be good for anyone!
    great topic d2d!

so, finding a local organic farmer would be the best. all the pesticides we ingest and the chemicals people put on their lawns, thus go in the drinking water can NOT be good for anyone!

absolutely.
    i think.
    :lol:

thing is tho, i do feel a wee bit 'guilty' buying say, organic peppers from chile. and yes, i am guilty of being accustomed to, and continuing to want, to ear produce out of season....and therefore, lots of my produce won't ever be 'local'...simply b/c oranges will never grow on long island :P....and yea.....things like berries aren't in season year-round. so if i want fresh produce, i am not going local either way most of the time. however, i personally do think organic is probably healthier....so yea....i buy those organic red peppers from chile.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    absolutely.
    i think.
    :lol:

thing is tho, i do feel a wee bit 'guilty' buying say, organic peppers from chile. and yes, i am guilty of being accustomed to, and continuing to want, to ear produce out of season....and therefore, lots of my produce won't ever be 'local'...simply b/c oranges will never grow on long island :P....and yea.....things like berries aren't in season year-round. so if i want fresh produce, i am not going local either way most of the time. however, i personally do think organic is probably healthier....so yea....i buy those organic red peppers from chile.

lemme talk to the gf ... she's in the know ... she runs a CSA out of her neighbourhood and is part of a group trying to start a co-op in queens ... ;)
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    most organics are not so much factory farmed.
    smaller plots yes, but make no mistake, a lot of what you see in the store comes from industrial farming operations-same with organic products-many of them are made by subsidiaries of the large food companies.

I guess the moral of the story is-know where your food is coming from-organic or not!