Options

How much do you pay for parking?

JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I work at our local hospital and the parking is either $4/day or $50/month. I open my e-mail today and there's an announcement saying that parking is going up on April 6th to $6/day or $80/month! WHAT?!!!!! From $600/year to $960/year! That's a 62 percent increase. How can they justify that? I'm just curious what other's pay and if i'm complaining for nothing because I know those who live in big cities probably pay more.
If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AP135303AP135303 Posts: 39
    Wow. I work at a med school that shares parking with the hospital next door, and we pay .05% of our salaries for parking - it doesn't work out to much for me per pay period, but we have WAY more people parking than spaces available.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I pay nothing, but then again, for all I know, you cool kids with your hip slang are totally referring to something else when you say "parking."
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    I negotiated free parking into my job offer. Otherwise it was $200/month.
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I pay nothing, but then again, for all I know, you cool kids with your hip slang are totally referring to something else when you say "parking."
    :lol:
  • Options
    I negotiated free parking into my job offer. Otherwise it was $200/month.

Ouch!
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    ouch!

gotta love a walking/train commute. and my train ticket may be $199 a month, but it is taken from my salary PRE-tax, so actually saves me $$$ long-term. it's a beautiful thing.

i feel for ya!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    When I used to work in NYC, parking was about $30 or $40 per day. Even when I had to unpark like 2 hours later. ...but work covered it. :D
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    When I used to work in NYC, parking was about $30 or $40 per day. Even when I had to unpark like 2 hours later. ...but work covered it. :D

Holy shit! That's crazy expensive, I guess I shouldn't really be complaining but I'm still going too because at least your work covered it and it seems like a lot of other employers cover it as well. The staff here are just getting ripped off.
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Jukee wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

Holy shit! That's crazy expensive, I guess I shouldn't really be complaining but I'm still going too because at least your work covered it and it seems like a lot of other employers cover it as well. The staff here are just getting ripped off.

Maybe you could pool together and try to get some sort of group rate?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Jukee wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

Maybe you could pool together and try to get some sort of group rate?

That's never going to happen but thanks for the suggestion anyways. I work for a hospital which is owned by the Canadian government who rip us off left and right already! That's a whole other topic so I won't even get into it :roll:
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    $125/mo for garage parking, but at least it's pre-taxed dollars.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    yikes... luckily I never had to pay for parking.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    $11 for the day if I want a 5 minute walk from my car to work.

$0 for a 15-20 minute walk.

Let's just say, even on a snowy, windy day like today in Boston, I like to walk.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i don't.

there are no parking charges in my hometown for anyone... in fact there are no parking charges for anyone in the entire region of SouthWest Scotland... which is pretty cool considering what a lot of you guys appear to be paying.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    backwoods small town jerk offs such as myself do not pay anyone anything for parking.
    that's how we roll around here.
    :mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    depends on if i factor in the cost of my home garage. :mrgreen:

i don't pay to park at work. gf pays like ~$20 per month to park at the train station and anouther ~$128 or so for her monthly train pass.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    i don't.

there are no parking charges in my hometown for anyone... in fact there are no parking charges for anyone in the entire region of SouthWest Scotland... which is pretty cool considering what a lot of you guys appear to be paying.

Lucky for the people of Scotland! Alittle jelous over here.
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    chadwick wrote:
    backwoods small town jerk offs such as myself do not pay anyone anything for parking.
    that's how we roll around here.

"Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Jukee wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    i don't.

Lucky for the people of Scotland! Alittle jelous over here.

Just for this region.. i know Glasgow and Edinburgh have parking charges... but if you ever visit my wee corner of the world then it'll be free! ;):mrgreen:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.