Have you ever lost a spark plug?

mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,048
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Driving today and after I pulled up to a stop light , the car suddenly sounded like a Volkswagon Beetle from the 70's. I have an '04 PT Cruiser.

Looked under the hood ,after fearing I blew a head gasket and what do I find? Spark plug wire laying on top of the valve cover. Try to reseat the wire and nothing to reseat it to!!!! WTF?!?!?!!?

$3.19 and 5 minutes later ,problem solved.
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    sounds like it was built on a Monday or Friday .. that's some funny shit
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    WTF??? That's just bizarre! :?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,048
    craziest thing I've experianed. People I've talked have never heard of such a thing. INcluding the guys at the auto parts store.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    That is weird, I've blown spark plugs in a snowmachine but not a car. At least it only cost you 3 bucks be thankful of that :D
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
    Jukee wrote:
    That is weird, I've blown spark plugs in a snowmachine but not a car. At least it only cost you 3 bucks be thankful of that :D
    Thats just it, it didn't blow , crack , or otherwise fail. It DISAPPEARED!!!!

• Maybe someone else needed one so they borrowed yours ?
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Jukee wrote:
    Thats just it, it didn't blow , crack , or otherwise fail. It DISAPPEARED!!!!

Wow that's really weird! Never heard of that happening before, like the post above maybe somebody stole it??
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
    Maybe someone else needed one so they borrowed yours ?
    :shock: While I was driving? :lol::lol::lol::lol: I didn't SEE anyone under the hood at that intersection. Strangest thing ever.

• mickeyrat wrote:
    :shock: While I was driving? :lol::lol::lol::lol: I didn't SEE anyone under the hood at that intersection. Strangest thing ever.
    You can't trust mice or rats, really! My ex-husband takes his car in to get oil changes and they are constantly finding dog food and corn in compartments under the hood presumably left behind by mice... You never know... :lol:

ok - honestly - i apparently forgot the part of your post that said anything about it happening while you were driving. sorry :oops:
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,262
    Is that a type of dog?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Is that a type of dog?
    Are you referring to my post? Not clear. If you were - the mice in southern Indiana apparently like dog food 8-)
    mickeyrat wrote:
    You can't trust mice or rats, really! My ex-husband takes his car in to get oil changes and they are constantly finding dog food and corn in compartments under the hood presumably left behind by mice... You never know... :lol:

ok - honestly - i apparently forgot the part of your post that said anything about it happening while you were driving. sorry :oops:
    Can't trust mice or rats you say? So, I shouldn't trust myself? :mrgreen:

• mickeyrat wrote:

Can't trust mice or rats you say? So, I shouldn't trust myself? :mrgreen:
    I'm SOOOO glad you caught that subtle statement :) I started the sentence with just mice... but then considering it was you.. I added the rats part 8-)

Hey - are you going to the pre-party in Columbus?
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I don't even need Mulder and Skully for this one. What'choo got there is a clear case of gremlins. Not good.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    Yes , I will be attending as a volunteer for the wishlist deal. Being a sober alky I should be finding a way to be helpful and NOT just hanging out in a bar. Waiting on some plans to firm up with the preparty before I commit.

eyedclaar wrote:
    I don't even need Mulder and Skully for this one. What'choo got there is a clear case of gremlins. Not good.
    gremlins? thought all those guys were taken care of in the movie.

mickeyrat wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

Movie? That was a documentary... and you never get them all.

eyedclaar wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

Movie? That was a documentary... and you never get them all.
    Ok, mr writer man( 8-) ), use your imagination and tell me WHAT ON EARTH do they need my spark plug for?

mickeyrat wrote:
    Ok, mr writer man( 8-) ), use your imagination and tell me WHAT ON EARTH do they need my spark plug for?

Biologists claim that gremlins use spark plugs in their bizarre, and often shocking, mating rituals. I mean, I thought most of this was common knowledge, people! Am I the only one who reads around here?

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    that is just weird. almost sounds like it wasn't installed properly and worked it's way out. but you would think it would have still be attached to the wire.

weird for sure.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Strange indeed...

My brother was coming to a stop once, and a brake pad fell off his car. A spark plug tops that :)
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    81 wrote:
    that is just weird. almost sounds like it wasn't installed properly and worked it's way out. but you would think it would have still be attached to the wire.

weird for sure.
    Yeah, I installed them last summer. Thinking I overtightened , thereby over-compressing the washer allowing it to slowly back itself out. have talked with a couple people and they seem to think this would be why it happened. Ran fine until a couple months ago , then started to occasionally miss. And tehn yesterday, instant Volkswagon!!! Definately one for the books!!!

Either that , or I pissed off a rather sneaky sumbitch!! :mrgreen:

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Last summer, my Jeep hit a sparkplug on the road and my tire exploded on impact. I thought to myself, "How the hell does a spark plug end up on the road?" Makes sense to me now.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    It's probably due to what is underneath the spark plug itself...

The PT.

;) Just kidding ok
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Gremlins, Mr. Flutterman?
    It's probably due to what is underneath the spark plug itself...

The PT.

;) Just kidding ok
    You do know that Eyedclaar is a friend of mine , right? Shall I arrange to have him take you "hiking"? :mrgreen:

That makes two. In 7 days , I've "lost" two spark plugs from the same fucking cylinder. Only one thats accessed without removing the intake manifold. Thoughts anyone?

How easy is it to pop a hood from the outside without releasing the hood latch from inside?

Alrighty then. Quite the expensive lesson. :( :(

$187.75 to repair a stripped engine side of the spark plug. :o :shock:

So if you guys/girls do any of that type of work on your car (minor tune up maintenance), be VERY careful when you change spark plugs. Could very easily get stripped.

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    some people should not work on cars. :mrgreen:

always take your time strarting bolts, nuts, and spark plugs :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    some people should not work on cars. :mrgreen:

always take your time strarting bolts, nuts, and spark plugs :mrgreen:
    In my defense I was "emotionally disturbed" when I changed them out!!! :lol:

also the mechanic told me that it happens fairly often with Chrysler products. And with him being a Chrysler certified mechanic , I'm inclined to believe him about the PT

And 81 ? You're right. SOME people shouldn't work on cars. :mrgreen: