Unthought Known intro

Hawk JamHawk Jam Posts: 121
edited March 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
For any of the guru's out there what is the technique called? Accent? If so any advice on how to practise it?

As I rushed out of my guitar lesson earlier this week I didn't take note of it from my instructor. Stupid me.

Thanks in advance
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    palm mute... you need to rest the palm or side of your strumming hand against the strings to deaden the sound a little

p.s. i'm nowhere near a guru... i just know that through learning other songs :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Hawk JamHawk Jam Posts: 121
    Thank you, but that's not what I meant, he was saying something else. I am sure he said accent.
    Hawk Jam wrote:
    Thank you, but that's not what I meant, he was saying something else. I am sure he said accent.

all i know is that the technique Ed uses on start of Unthought Known is called palm-muting... accent? never heard of it... i can't work out where it would be used at the start of that song... the song is intro is 4 chords all strummed with palm-muting. :eh:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Got_SomeGot_Some Posts: 77
    It's definitely a palm mute in the intro but Ed accents certain beats to add a little bit of an effect. If there weren't any accents, the intro would be monotonous through each chord...which, by the way, I've heard in a live recording and still sounds good.

This is definitely one of my favorite songs to play right now.
  • Hawk JamHawk Jam Posts: 121
    Sounds like I heard correctly then, just need to do some further research as no lessons for a couple of weeks

Thanks again folks
    I just call that strumming... :lol::lol:

i listen to the song and watched Ed play it live on Youtube and I just try and strum the same pattern... i suppose i do accent on the intro to this song but i never knew that was the terminology... :mrgreen:
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    dunkman wrote:

i listen to the song and watched Ed play it live on Youtube and I just try and strum the same pattern... i suppose i do accent on the intro to this song but i never knew that was the terminology... :mrgreen:

Never heard of accenting the beat?
    DewieCox wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

Never heard of accenting the beat?

nope... i'm totally self-taught.

I just listen to a song/watch youtube and try and play it the same way..

:oops: