11 part Life documentary on Discovery Channel

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I guess the first two episodes already aired and the next two are airing Sunday. I saw an ad for it, its billed as the sequel to Planet Earth. Has anyone seen this new series, Life?

Planet Earth may have been the greatest thing in history of anything ever. Anyone who has seen it knows that isnt hyperbole, the show was unreal. I have never seen better photography than that show, some of those shots were unreal.

Is Life as good as Planet Earth? Whats the scoop?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Got_SomeGot_Some Posts: 77
    I saw about 90 minutes of it and have it on DVR. From what I saw, it was unbelievable. It is without a doubt worth watching.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    yea, aNiMaL started a thread about it - thanks aNiMaL! :) - so my DVR is recording the series...and then we'll probably have a watching marathon. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    good, good stuff
    As amazing as the whole vastness of the universe(s) thing is, the diversity of life throughout evolution to the here and now is truly phenomenal.
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Planet Earth in hi-def and some appropriate music, with a nice little buzz is one of the best things I can think of.

Life will probably be just as cool.
  • I'm not as into it as I have been other BBC Nature Docs, like Blue Planet, Planet Earth, etc.....Reason being, where's David Attenborough? On Planet Earth they disrespected him by having Sigourney Weaver narrate tthe US version. so I didn't watch it on TV, just bought the DVD and watched it with Attenborough. He's not an actor who just read off the cue cards. to make matters worse, they re-released Blue Planet with a 5th disc, and instead of Attenborough, it's Pierce Brosnan
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    i'm excited to watch them all.

I saw the first two and in my opinion the first one was okay and part two about the reptiles was cool. Oprah is okay as the narator but she is not great in my opinon.

for me it is no where near as good as planet earth was. Planet Earth was phenominal. Life is okay-good so far.

Now all that said i'm still watchign every one of them. I mean where else can you watch Komodo Dragons hunt water buffalo!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    I missed the first one but caught the second one with the reptiles. It was absouletly amazing to me that there are so many reptiles out there that we've never heard of and probably a million more that we'll never see in our life times. I'm so excited for the other parts to this series.
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
    intodeep wrote:
    i'm excited to watch them all.

I saw the first two and in my opinion the first one was okay and part two about the reptiles was cool. Oprah is okay as the narator but she is not great in my opinon.

for me it is no where near as good as planet earth was. Planet Earth was phenominal. Life is okay-good so far.

Now all that said i'm still watchign every one of them. I mean where else can you watch Komodo Dragons hunt water buffalo!

:mrgreen:

glad you added in that caveat.
    i haven't watched any yet...i like to do marathon viewing of a few episodes at a time for such shows - thus why i *heart* the DVR so much. sad to read it's not AS good as planet earth, but then again, that sets a VERY high bar.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I watched both episodes Sunday night and they were well worth it

definity cool watching the Komodo Dragons go after that water buffalo

some really odd animals as well, and mating patterns

definitly check it out
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    What about the little frog that climbs trees 4,000 times it's body length to hide its tadpoles. Up and down four or five times.

Pretty amazing stuff.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    How was last night's episodes?

I did my fantasy baseball draft so I DVRed them.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Reptile one is the best, the others just didnt come close to that!
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    smarchee wrote:

definitly check it out
    Smarch - when/where is it on in Canada? I'd like to try it out.
    I got caught up last night and watched the mammels and the underwater one.

I liked them both a good bit. Still no planent earth but i really like watching this.

The japanese mud fish that crawls on land was pretty damn cool and that little little fish that climbs up the walls of water falls..... thats pretty amazing stuff.

For the mammels watching the heyina (sp??) clan take on the lion pride was wild. I thought for sure the lions would mess their shit up but it did not go down that way.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    smarchee wrote:

definitly check it out
    Smarch - when/where is it on in Canada? I'd like to try it out.

I watched it the previous weekend on Discovery and it was on TLC.

I checked this Sunday and nothing so a little confused on when episode 3&4 will be on like it was in the US :?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • finally saw the reptiles episode and the one about how animals survive or adapt in nature. wow. judging the 2 episodes it may actually rival planet earth, and thats one hell of a bar!

the video/photography is absolutely stunning. those fish things that were flying. the frog thing that cant hop but rolls into a ball and literally rolls down the mountain side to avoid being harmed by prey. the dolphins who do that mudwringing thing. the frog that climbs that huge tree again and again to feed its tadpoles
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Good stuff....would trade Oparh for Attenbourgh in a heart beat....the one small problem that I noted was the script saying that the Komodo Dragon was venomous...which it is not...it uses a mouthful of pathogenic bacteria to slowly kill the prey that it is able to bite.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    I watched part 5 the birds one and once again good stuff.

I thought it was crazy how those pelicans come over when all the baby bird parents are gone and eat the little kids :?

Talk about bird on bird crime!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    finally started watching the series - watched the first 2 episodes last night, thank bejeebus for the DVR.....waaayyyyy too many commericals in there! that said, it IS good, enjoying it thus far. :thumbup:

and yea, oprah is annoying. the way she pronounces 'ecosystem' is irritating. :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• i am excited for tonight. i am 2 episodes behind, but have seen 4 total. saw the mammal one and the fish one. both were incredible. i just love these kinds of shows. every fact is more unbelieveable than the last (polar bears can sense and smell food from 20 miles away, some older male polar bears eat young baby cubs), and the photography and video is one unbelieveable shot to the next.

the mudskippers were cool. i liked the clown fish. the fruit bats were fascinating. the fish that cleaned themselves by whacking their scales against that shark, the fish that cleaned the ticks and bacteria off the hippos. unreal stuff.

maybe it isnt as good as planet earth, but lets face it not much is going to compare to that. its like being introduced to comic books by reading watchmen and blankets and frank miller. thats the best of the best, everything after is gonna seem pretty dull.

but the show is not dull. i am hooked.
    I watched hunters but have not seen the other episode that aired last night yet.

Hunters was cool but i'm a little disapointed they showed some scenes they showed in early episodes. for some reason that annoys me.

What is up with that little guy chasing down a rabbit?! :o I was like no way that little thing beats up a rabbit but I was quite wrong. And all the other rabbits just stood around and watched it happen.

I guess that is like when us humans see a crime but don't do anything out of fear of being hurt ourselves.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    100% worth watching. As mentioned, the Komodo's hunting the water buffalo was awesome. Those Komodo Dragon's are some tormenting bastards.

Also, the bit on Cuddlefish was pretty cool as well. Ocean life never ceases to amaze me.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    dcfaithful wrote:
    100% worth watching. As mentioned, the Komodo's hunting the water buffalo was awesome. Those Komodo Dragon's are some tormenting bastards.

Also, the bit on Cuddlefish was pretty cool as well. Ocean life never ceases to amaze me.

i LOVED the water dragons!
    at least that's what i think they were called?
    some weird, brilliantly colored marine life off the coast of oz, a bit like sea horses. too cool!

i don;t watch when they air b/c i cannot stand the commercials, but i am all up to date until this sunday. probably watch sunday's shows tonight.

good stuff!
    :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I watched the plants one last night and that was pretty cool. I love how they elapsed time. so wild!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    We had this on last year in the UK. It's excellent. And we watched it on the BBC with no adverts. Oh to be a Brit and smug! :lol:
    nuffingman wrote:
    We had this on last year in the UK. It's excellent. And we watched it on the BBC with no adverts. Oh to be a Brit and smug! :lol:

i think you've got that one well covered...;)

looking forward to watching last night's episodes tonight. 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...