Options

Anyone tried Chantix?

Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
My boss has the opportunity to sign up for some kind of insurance program for a smoke-free workplace and it funds the Chantix program for employees who smoke. I'm the only one in the office who does, but I'd already been thinking about trying to quit....the NEED to quit.

Just curious about Chantix and anyone's experiences with it....is it one of those pills that has a list of side affects as long as your arm? Does it work?
Obviously I would be an idiiot not to give it a try, but I'm not much of a medicator. I did quit once before cold turkey and it lasted around four years, but I don't know if I could do that again now
All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    i quit cigs this way,, not sure how much you smoke a day mate, but say its a pack a day, weak one i went to half pack a day///// weak2 5 cigs a day, /////weak 3 2cigs a day ///weak 4 one cig a day // weak 5 nothing but cannabis,,,,,

but try that before you waste any money mate//// you can leave the cannabis out if you please :mrgreen:
  • Options
    I've had several coworkers who have used it and have quit. They had some skin reactions as well as some sleep issues.

I quit using a quit smoking group, used the patch as well as wellbutrin.

Remember, there is always side effects to all meds.
  • Options
    jethrojam420jethrojam420 Foxborough MA Posts: 1,075
    had some really really messed up dreams. all chantix is is an antidepressant. so tread carefully. i got off it went to the patch, then it was just mind over matter. smoke free for 6 weeks now. good luck and stay strong
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • Options
    peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    one of my co-workers is using it - so far I think she's doing okay with no side effects

when I quit I used the patch for a week but I seem to be one of the few people who didn't have a very hard time quitting but everyone's different

best of luck to you...you can do it!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone...as well as the encouragement.
    I really don't think I want to do the chantix thing even if it is free strictly because the thought of it affecting my behavior doesn't set well with me. I'm hard enough to get along with as it is :D
    It really is time for me to get serious about quitting though. I know I can do it once I am convinced that is what I want to do.
    My only real concern is that I like to drink quite a lot of beer and I'm the guy who thinks one is no good without the other....and I ain't laying off the booze :D
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    My dad, a pack and a half a day smoker of 50 years, got on chantix in December. And kicked the habit instantly. He's not even on the pills anymore. He did have some motivation in the form of his first granddaughter being born in that time however. But he did it, and didn't put on any weight either. Good luck.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    Some people have had changes in behavior, hostility, agitation, depressed mood, suicidal thoughts or actions while using CHANTIX to help them quit smoking. Some people had these symptoms when they began taking CHANTIX, and others developed them after several weeks of treatment or after stopping CHANTIX. If you, your family, or caregiver notice agitation, hostility, depression, or changes in behavior, thinking, or mood that are not typical for you, or you develop suicidal thoughts or actions, anxiety, panic, aggression, anger, mania, abnormal sensations, hallucinations, paranoia, or confusion, stop taking CHANTIX and call your doctor right away. Also tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems before taking CHANTIX, as these symptoms may worsen while taking CHANTIX.

Some people can have serious skin reactions while taking CHANTIX, some of which can become life-threatening. These can include rash, swelling, redness, and peeling of the skin. Some people can have allergic reactions to CHANTIX, some of which can be life-threatening and include: swelling of the face, mouth, and throat that can cause trouble breathing. If you have these symptoms or have a rash with peeling skin or blisters in your mouth, stop taking CHANTIX and get medical attention right away.

The most common side effects include nausea (30%), sleep problems, constipation, gas, and/or vomiting. If you have side effects that bother you or don’t go away, tell your doctor.

I thought about it......but DAMN!! :wtf:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I've used it and it worked. You MUST do at least 3 months or its not gonna work. I won't lie, I did go back to smoking.....gonna get it again soon. I had to issues whilst taking it.if its free, try it. Mine is still $45 a month with insurance.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

"do gay midgets come out of the cupboard"
    ~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    imalive wrote:
    Some people have had changes in behavior, hostility, agitation, depressed mood, suicidal thoughts or actions while using CHANTIX to help them quit smoking. Some people had these symptoms when they began taking CHANTIX, and others developed them after several weeks of treatment or after stopping CHANTIX. If you, your family, or caregiver notice agitation, hostility, depression, or changes in behavior, thinking, or mood that are not typical for you, or you develop suicidal thoughts or actions, anxiety, panic, aggression, anger, mania, abnormal sensations, hallucinations, paranoia, or confusion, stop taking CHANTIX and call your doctor right away. Also tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems before taking CHANTIX, as these symptoms may worsen while taking CHANTIX.

Some people can have serious skin reactions while taking CHANTIX, some of which can become life-threatening. These can include rash, swelling, redness, and peeling of the skin. Some people can have allergic reactions to CHANTIX, some of which can be life-threatening and include: swelling of the face, mouth, and throat that can cause trouble breathing. If you have these symptoms or have a rash with peeling skin or blisters in your mouth, stop taking CHANTIX and get medical attention right away.

The most common side effects include nausea (30%), sleep problems, constipation, gas, and/or vomiting. If you have side effects that bother you or don’t go away, tell your doctor.

I thought about it......but DAMN!! :wtf:
    Funny, I saw a Chantix commercial tonight and they recited all those ^^^ side effects. The commercial scared the crap out of me and I'm not even a smoker! Sounds like serious stuff. :eh: :problem: :shock:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    a coworker, chain smoker tried it and it worked wonders for him. He is still off cigs after two years. It carried over to other aspects of his life too like his weight, marriage, mood, etc... He said he had a few weird dreams during his prescription.

also, look at it this way. Side effects of Chantix vs. side effects of cigs

edit: the stuff worked for him very quickly.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i know they give it to people at rehab to quit. which is kind of ironic..why not use the 12 steps? ;)
  • Options
    Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Herb from Alabama is a big fan from what I hear.
  • Options
    AyedavanitaAyedavanita Posts: 1,443
    Chantix made me dizzy and I felt ill the couple weeks I was on it. I hated it and stopped taking it. Yeah, I'm still smoking too but I've started wellbutrin so wish me luck!
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    is it the same as Champix?
    i just read an article this morning of how there is a class action suit against the drug company over unusal suicides by their loved ones after taking "champix"
    http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Woman ... story.html

dno if its the same thing or not
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam