What US venues can you hear soundcheck at?

drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
edited April 2010 in The Porch
OK... this might be a weird question, but does anyone know what US venues you can hear soundcheck at this year? I know with Arenas its very hit and miss since some you can hear through the doors (Spectrum) and then some I dont believe there's any way to hear anything because the actual arena is set deep in the building.

Obviously the two outdoor venues (Deer Creek and Bristow) should be good to go, but does anyone know about the other venues in KC, STL, COL, CLE, BUF, NY, BOS, HTD?

Just curious... and yes, I know its nerdy listening with an ear pressed against a door, but after the Spectrum I am OK with it. :)

KC Sprint Center - ?
STL Scottrade Center - Yes from TC line
COL Nationwide Arena - ?
IND Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Indiana - Yes, outdoors
CLE Quicken Loans Arena - Can be heard when picking up tickets (thanks TrAvELAr)
BUF HSBC Arena - ?
VA Jiffy Lube Live - Yes, outdoors
HTD XL Arena - ?
BOS TD Banknorth Garden - Yes, heard leash in 06?
NJ Prudential Center - ?

NY Madison Square Garden - Only the Hoff can hear the beautiful soundcheck here... but he adds:
There's an opening into the building on 33rd between 7th an 8th. You'll see trucks there and it usually has barricade. That opening is a ramp which spirals about half-way around the building up to the 5th floor, which is stage level. The ramp ends right behind the stage, about 60' behind it.

Now, behind the stage are collapsed bleachers, which would stop sound but on either side of that are openings underneath the seats, and a huge cavity which is where the ramp goes.

...so if they soundcheck loud enough, you may just hear it. But in all the events I had worked there, I don't recall once hearing them from the bottom of the ramp.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    "After the Spectrum"? Really?

I had the surprise of a few rare gems runied by friends texting me the soundcheck. If they are going to bust out something rare, I woul dmuch rather not already half expecting it because I heard it soundchecked.

I am really happy that I avoided the soundcheck for Seattle 2. When the busted out No Way I nearly fell over. Had I heard the soundcheck the whole surprise would have been ruined.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    BeerBaron wrote:

I had the surprise of a few rare gems runied by friends texting me the soundcheck. If they are going to bust out something rare, I woul dmuch rather not already half expecting it because I heard it soundchecked.

I am really happy that I avoided the soundcheck for Seattle 2. When the busted out No Way I nearly fell over. Had I heard the soundcheck the whole surprise would have been ruined.
    Well... there is definite truth to that, but a lot of times they'll play something pretty rare in soundcheck that never actually gets played at that particular show. I think the Spectrum was the exception to the rule - and even then I got to hear Black Red Yellow even if it was from the outside. :)
  • givenfliersgivenfliers Posts: 144
    i agree virginia beach 2008 mike played yellow led and star spegld at soundcheck and ended the show with ritfw and didnt play ylw led so
  • I assume soundcheck can be heard @ TD Garden because, if I remember correctly, in 2006 people posted that they had soundchecked Leash.

Didn't matter because I wasn't sure I believed it anyway, so when they broke it out on night 2 it was better than I could have ever imagined.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    In 2006 I heard them sound check Big Wave in Camden, which they didn't play at all on that tour until they hit the West Coast so that was cool. Also heard them sound check Waiting on a Friend at Mellon Arena which was a nice surprise.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,592
    BeerBaron wrote:

agreed. we used to do everything to try and catch the soundcheck, but realized the surprise is much better. also, if they play a rare song at soundcheck and you expect to hear AND see it that night, its somewhat of a disappointment when they dont pull it out. now if you were somehow able to get inside and watch the soundcheck, thatd be a different story...
  • release00release00 Posts: 347
    I'm not sure about sprint center kc, its a new venue and this is my first time seeing a show there. I do remember in 2003 stl savvis center, now scottrade, that we could hear soundcheck while waiting in line to get our tenclub tickets
    "So much it dont show"
  • GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,802
    DeLukin wrote:
    In 2006 I heard them sound check Big Wave in Camden, which they didn't play at all on that tour until they hit the West Coast so that was cool. Also heard them sound check Waiting on a Friend at Mellon Arena which was a nice surprise.

which they played in Santa Barbara...

Sweet
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • drsluggo wrote:
    I think the Spectrum was the exception to the rule - and even then I got to hear Black Red Yellow even if it was from the outside. :)

I heard BRY at the Spectrum soundcheck too, so I'm glad I was there for that. I mean, I'll probably never get to actually see them play it at show I'm at. So what if it kinda ruined some of the surprise of Out of My Mind...
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
    drsluggo wrote:
    I think the Spectrum was the exception to the rule - and even then I got to hear Black Red Yellow even if it was from the outside. :)

I heard BRY at the Spectrum soundcheck too, so I'm glad I was there for that. I mean, I'll probably never get to actually see them play it at show I'm at. So what if it kinda ruined some of the surprise of Out of My Mind...
    Well for the Spectrum it ruined Hold On, Out of My Mind, Whip It, Sweet Lew, etc... but I still enjoyed hearing it outside and then again inside.

I dont know... free music is free music. Plus they didnt play BRY so at least that's something from it that i would not have heard otherwise!

In Boston 08 they soundchecked Rival and Habit that didn't get played - since I had never heard Rival before it was cool even though obv different listening to soundcheck than in a concert.
  • Ample JarAmple Jar Posts: 241
    Related question: at what time do they normally soundcheck? I plan on tailgating at the Deer Creek/Verizon show in Indiana...how early do I need to get there to hear the soundcheck?
    9/22/96, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 6/22/03, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/16/06, 7/18/06
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Burswood Dome 2003...I was Sitting outside listening to ED and Mark Seymour Rehearsing "Throw your Arms Around me"...so when they Performed it later THAT night...it wasn't too much of a Surprise!...having said that I was Friggin' excited! :D
    Ample Jar wrote:
    Related question: at what time do they normally soundcheck? I plan on tailgating at the Deer Creek/Verizon show in Indiana...how early do I need to get there to hear the soundcheck?
    typically seems to be about 4ish... I'd say anytime between 3-5? Usually lasts a good 30-40 minutes?
    bump :)
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    drsluggo wrote:

I can hear it at MSG, but I'm probably the only one. :D
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    CJMST3K wrote:
    drsluggo wrote:

Yeah yeah... rub it in!

I figured MSG was a no chance place since it seems so far into the actual building. I will mark that one as a no. :)
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    i think the Leash in 06 info was from inside sources

i guess during the day things could flow through that building... it's not sealed up
    drsluggo wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    drsluggo wrote:

Yeah yeah... rub it in!

I figured MSG was a no chance place since it seems so far into the actual building. I will mark that one as a no. :)

Hmm... actually.

There's an opening into the building on 33rd between 7th an 8th. You'll see trucks there and it usually has barricade. That opening is a ramp which spirals about half-way around the building up to the 5th floor, which is stage level. The ramp ends right behind the stage, about 60' behind it.

Now, behind the stage are collapsed bleachers, which would stop sound but on either side of that are openings underneath the seats, and a huge cavity which is where the ramp goes.

...so if they soundcheck loud enough, you may just hear it. But in all the events I had worked there, I don't recall once hearing them from the bottom of the ramp. The ramp and the walls are all concrete, but the chances it'll make it all the way down is little... but that would be the one and only spot you would hear it from. Plus that's where the band enters from. :D
    CJMST3K wrote:
    but that would be the one and only spot you would hear it from. Plus that's where the band enters from. :D
    Thanks for the info... if I'm over there I'll probably check - it can't hurt. If they're going to bust out some crazy soundcheck stuff I'd expect it there!

And maybe if not I can see the band, but I'm assuming I couldn't get anywhere close there which is fine... I'm sure if they're going in to soundcheck the last thing they want to do is see me hanging around. :lol:
    drsluggo wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    but that would be the one and only spot you would hear it from. Plus that's where the band enters from. :D
    Thanks for the info... if I'm over there I'll probably check - it can't hurt. If they're going to bust out some crazy soundcheck stuff I'd expect it there!

And maybe if not I can see the band, but I'm assuming I couldn't get anywhere close there which is fine... I'm sure if they're going in to soundcheck the last thing they want to do is see me hanging around. :lol:

It wouldnt even occur to them that you being outside the building and 5 floors down might possibly hear a soundcheck. You're not going to bother them being there at all. :) ...they're gonna be sick from driving up in a spiral tunnel anyway. Their first thought is going to be "where is the bathroom?".
    CJMST3K wrote:
    It wouldnt even occur to them that you being outside the building and 5 floors down might possibly hear a soundcheck. You're not going to bother them being there at all. :) ...they're gonna be sick from driving up in a spiral tunnel anyway. Their first thought is going to be "where is the bathroom?".
    Oh duh... I kind of forgot them driving into the building. I was thinking they would be dropped off and go to an elevator or something.

Nevermind that comment then... still worth a shot if I'm over there picking of my tickets then anyway. Maybe they'll think I belong there and let me up :)
    drsluggo wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Oh duh... I kind of forgot them driving into the building. I was thinking they would be dropped off and go to an elevator or something.

Nevermind that comment then... still worth a shot if I'm over there picking of my tickets then anyway. Maybe they'll think I belong there and let me up :)

Usually bands are driven in black vans or town cars. 10 years ago the license plates would often read "CLS" from a particularly popular company, so keep your eyes open for one of those.

If band members arrive separately, like they just hopped in a cab and want to get into the venue, then to the right of the truck/van loading entrance is an awning. That's the staff and vip entrance, but bands arriving by foot often enter there. From there they take an elevator. So, keep an eye on the awning to your right, usually with barricade near the door.
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Usually bands are driven in black vans or town cars. 10 years ago the license plates would often read "CLS" from a particularly popular company, so keep your eyes open for one of those.

If band members arrive separately, like they just hopped in a cab and want to get into the venue, then to the right of the truck/van loading entrance is an awning. That's the staff and vip entrance, but bands arriving by foot often enter there. From there they take an elevator. So, keep an eye on the awning to your right, usually with barricade near the door.
    With these notes i might be able to be quite the stalker :)

I just would love to get into the soundcheck - I had a friend pull it off at another venue, but he had a great mix of being at the right place at the right time and being near someone who didn't want to make a big deal about it and just told him to get out as soon as they were done.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,404
    I heard them @ the Spectrum. Surprised the place hasn't been torn down yet. Maybe that TBA show will be @ the Spectrum? :shock:
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    SPAC (Saratoga) is awesome for catching soundchecks.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    I wouldn't try it at MSG. ...nor anywhere else, but especially not at msg.

I don't know about other venues, but at MSG the backstage goes into lockdown, or at least did when I worked the show there in 98, and seemed that way when I showed up in '08 to catch the soundcheck.
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I wouldn't try it at MSG. ...nor anywhere else, but especially not at msg.

I don't know about other venues, but at MSG the backstage goes into lockdown, or at least did when I worked the show there in 98, and seemed that way when I showed up in '08 to catch the soundcheck.
    Yeah I'm not trying it anywhere - its just not worth it... my friend kind of went into an open area and pretended they were in from out of town and thought it was open since the show was that night. The guy probably knew better, but said they could stay right where they were until it was over and then they had to get out. I'm not that ballsy myself!
    bump for only being a week away...

Anyone know about any of the ? venues? :)
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,386
    I heard soundcheck at Quicken Loans Arena in 2006 when I was picking up my tickets. It's a stretch, but it's doable. I heard U, and thought it would be great if they played it, and they did. :)
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    TrAvELAr wrote:
    I heard soundcheck at Quicken Loans Arena in 2006 when I was picking up my tickets. It's a stretch, but it's doable. I heard U, and thought it would be great if they played it, and they did. :)

Where were you when you heard it? The ticket window??

Details please :D