if i were vegetarian....

Backspacer_BackerBackspacer_Backer Posts: 1,023
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
i'd weigh 400 lbs. i'd eat waffles and pancakes all day. heavy on the butter and syrup. or as my 4 year old calls it, syriup.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    That's my diet. Well, until about 3 weeks ago.

I go up and down in heft, and at the moment I'm trying to do the latter.

Btw - my parrot LOVES waffles and pancakes, but only with syrup. But with my current healthy phase, he is very sad.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • I've been vegetarian for 22 months now, and people constantly ask me if I lost a lot of weight when I cut out meat from my diet. My usual response is "cake is vegetarian."
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,033
    My steak was delicious tonight :?
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,573
    My souvlaki wrap was amazing tonight! 8-)

During fasting & few times a month i'll go vegan style. But it's tough. I'm Greek and I love feta & meat. Anything else would be uncivilized.
  • CJMST3K wrote:
    That's my diet. Well, until about 3 weeks ago.

I go up and down in heft, and at the moment I'm trying to do the latter.

Btw - my parrot LOVES waffles and pancakes, but only with syrup. But with my current healthy phase, he is very sad.

Best way to lose weight is be wheat and gluten free. Unfortunatly I didn't have the option, I was forced into it and have stayed at a steady 160 lbs. for about 8 years.

since I've already given up the many delcious foods with wheat in the ingredients, I will never go vegetarian.......ever :evil:
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
  • StrykerStryker Posts: 585
    I don't know how people can give up entire groups of food. Seems kind of silly.
  • I seem silly to you, you seem cruel to me. We all live with our choices.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
  • When I stopped eating meat, nothing happened.

When I went organic, I lost 28 pounds and cured my brutal hellish insomnia!!!!! Chemicals had made me sick and fat. So now I'm vegetarian AND I maintain a healthy weight by eating whatever I want! My diet is ethically correct and lavishly indulgent.

Life is simple when you unlearn all of the bullshit.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • StrykerStryker Posts: 585
    I seem silly to you, you seem cruel to me. We all live with our choices.

I was talking more about the guy that gave up wheat. But that's cool to judge me and call me names.
  • Stryker420 wrote:

I was talking more about the guy that gave up wheat. But that's cool to judge me and call me names.

I didn't give up wheat, I developed an intolerance to it. Was not a choice of mine if you didn't read my post that well.
  • YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    Best way to lose weight is be wheat and gluten free. Unfortunatly I didn't have the option, I was forced into it and have stayed at a steady 160 lbs. for about 8 years.

since I've already given up the many delcious foods with wheat in the ingredients, I will never go vegetarian.......ever :evil:[/quote]

i don't know about this. i've noticed that a breakfast including some type of whole wheat product keeps me full for a long time. i'd say 90% of my breakfasts consist of some sort of whole wheat and i've gotten down to under 150 from around 190.

i'm more or less a pescatarian.

i'll only eat meat if its kosher, so i don't eat meat too often. only when grandma makes holiday dinners..and even then i'll usually stick to chicken.

the idea of beef has begun to repulse me......something about a food that takes your system a week to process is kinda fucked up.

edit- really this whole wheat free/gluten free thing is a fad, imo....unless you are a celiac, which it seems that you are. is that safe to assume?
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Best way to lose weight is be wheat and gluten free. Unfortunatly I didn't have the option, I was forced into it and have stayed at a steady 160 lbs. for about 8 years.

since I've already given up the many delcious foods with wheat in the ingredients, I will never go vegetarian.......ever :evil:

i don't know about this. i've noticed that a breakfast including some type of whole wheat product keeps me full for a long time. i'd say 90% of my breakfasts consist of some sort of whole wheat and i've gotten down to under 150 from around 190.

i'm more or less a pescatarian.

i'll only eat meat if its kosher, so i don't eat meat too often. only when grandma makes holiday dinners..and even then i'll usually stick to chicken.

the idea of beef has begun to repulse me......something about a food that takes your system a week to process is kinda fucked up.[/quote]

Whole wheat is indead healthier than bleached and processed wheat because its obviously not fucked with by chemicals. Cutting out the processed wheat with gluten free organic foods does the same trick, just less fiber and what not.

And yes, this is not some horrible fad. I have a form of Celiacs and it is not a good time
    sorry to hear that.

that really is the only legit reason to forego whole wheat and/or gluten products.

high fiber foods definitely curb the appetite. best way to go for breakfast in my opinion.
  • I didn't give up wheat, I developed an intolerance to it.

I have food allergy/intolerance to many common foods (Eggs, oats, soy, greens, etc, etc, etc......) But not to chocolate or coffee!

Have you tried NAET therapy? I've done a tiny bit of reading about it: It's a holistic energy mumbo-jumbo type of thing. It sounds wonderful! No risk, no drugs, no surgeries! It has a high cure rate, even in people who have severe, potentially fatal food allergies. Unfortunately, it costs money- Something I don't have at the moment. But it's on my "To Do" list. I have made thrilling strides in several aspects of my health. Curing my ridiculous allergies once and for all will be momentous.

Love,

Brynne
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    "Pescatarian"?
    Huh, I learned something new today.
    Remember, it's OK to eat fish 'cause they don't have any feelings.
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
    Dru_Cortez wrote:
    "Pescatarian"?
    Cheers.

it has nothing to do with any sort of moral standards....fish just feels cleaner in my body. that's why i gravitate towards it over meat.

i'm also a sushi junkie.
  • LoveBoatAdmiralLoveBoatAdmiral Posts: 1,191
    edited March 2010
    Stryker420 wrote:

You came in here ready with your opinion of it being silly ready to throw it on other people's life choices and situations. No one asked you to join them or to grade their lives. You seem all to ready to judge, then hide behind the "hey, don't judge me, names hurt" BS? Really dude?
    Post edited by LoveBoatAdmiral on
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
  • hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    I'm also a fish lover (eating them that is..) but i want to suggest that when you have checkups with your PCP, you ask him to check your blood for levels of heavy metals. Folks that eat primarily fish/shellfish for protein tend to have pretty high levels that can wreck havoc on the neurological system. Not trying to scare you just making a suggestion.
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    I think we should all say "given a choice, I will not/or only eat . . . ., because I, for one have never truly been hungry. I have not eaten flesh for years and, given a choice, will never again. I will eat the hell out of most seafood, though (I learned the word pescatarian from watching Cash Cab). It's nothing to do with religion no shit, although my mom acted as if I had joined a cult. It has nothing to do with a diet. I just began to dislike the thought of flesh digesting inside me. Given a choice, that is.
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    There seem to be 2 different types of vegetarians:

1) People who do it for health
    2) People who do it for the ethics

...and of course people who do it for both reasons.

When I was about 15 I saw a brief thing on HBO of the atom bomb tests. You know the one where the house gets a big puff of air after the explosion, and the trees wave over. Apparently there were also pigs in cages. They filmed it. You see the pigs scared and screaming. Trying to get out of the cages. Screaming from their skin being cooked.

I was a HUGE meat eater at that time. But it was suddenly a very easy correlation, which never really occurred to me before. Animals feel pain and have no right to be killed by us.

Not being a fan of vegetables, that made eating a little interesting. Pizza was a staple. (btw - Cheese and Dairy are vegetarian, but not vegan). Pasta and Chinese was a staple. When you're 15-19 years old you can manage that diet. In my early 20's it caught up to me on weight. Luckily when I was about 25 I was able to drop it all off without even trying, but now about 8 years later, it caught up to me again from poor eating.

With my GF's help (and without exercise :) ) I've dropped about 8 lbs in 3 weeks. Looking forward to that for the next several months!

...and there's plenty of vegetarian faux meats out there, so I never felt deprived. Half the time they taste practically 100% like the real thing, and other times the comparison is like diet-soda to regular soda; similar but not identical.

Anyway - I'm rambling.

Why is this on The Porch still? :?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • LoveBoatAdmiralLoveBoatAdmiral Posts: 1,191
    edited March 2010
    CJMST3K wrote:

When I was about 15 I saw a brief thing on HBO of the atom bomb tests. You know the one where the house gets a big puff of air after the explosion, and the trees wave over. Apparently there were also pigs in cages. They filmed it. You see the pigs scared and screaming. Trying to get out of the cages. Screaming from their skin being cooked.

I was a HUGE meat eater at that time. But it was suddenly a very easy correlation, which never really occurred to me before. Animals feel pain and have no right to be killed by us.

Not being a fan of vegetables, that made eating a little interesting. Pizza was a staple. (btw - Cheese and Dairy are vegetarian, but not vegan). Pasta and Chinese was a staple. When you're 15-19 years old you can manage that diet. In my early 20's it caught up to me on weight. Luckily when I was about 25 I was able to drop it all off without even trying, but now about 8 years later, it caught up to me again from poor eating.

With my GF's help (and without exercise :) ) I've dropped about 8 lbs in 3 weeks. Looking forward to that for the next several months!

...and there's plenty of vegetarian faux meats out there, so I never felt deprived. Half the time they taste practically 100% like the real thing, and other times the comparison is like diet-soda to regular soda; similar but not identical.

Anyway - I'm rambling.

My story is very similar to yours. I was convinced by a brilliant man named Coleman McCarthy who wrote for the Washington Post that I couldn't keep saying that I cared about animals while eating meat. I would volunteer at a farm and take care of the pigs, then go home and have a ham sandwich, which just doesn't make sense. The night we had that conversation I happened to have a turkey sandwich with me. I gave the sandwich to a homeless person and haven't eaten meat since. I would like to go vegan, but cutting eggs and cheese out of my diet eliminates about 90% of what I eat. Like CJ said, there are really good fake meat options out there, and anyone who lives near Boston should try the Grasshopper, a vegan chinese restaurant in Brighton and my favorite place to eat.
    Post edited by LoveBoatAdmiral on
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
  • gonzogonzo Posts: 748
    edited March 2010
    I'm a vegetarian and just finished reading "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer. It's a relatively quick read and addresses both sides of the meat/veggie discussion. What I respected most is that I found it non-didactic and extremely thought provoking, no matter what side you're on.
    I vote a trip to the library to check it out.

G
    *edit* I should more accurately say that it's not about meat/veggie but more about the ramifications of the factory farming system and how it affects every aspect of our lives from environment to health to disease, etc..
    Post edited by gonzo on
    peace,
    gonzo
    4/10/94, 9/28/96, 9/29/96, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/01/04, 9/15/05, 9/30/05, 10/01/05, 5/4/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/31/09, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/15/13, 10/18/13, 10/19/13, 10/25/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 5/1/16, 5/2/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 4/7/17, 8/8/18, 8/10/18, 9/10/22, 9/11/22
  • gonzogonzo Posts: 748
    there are really good fake meat options out there, and anyone who lives near Boston should try the Grasshopper, a vegan chinese restaurant in Brighton and my favorite place to eat.
    The Grasshopper is the bomb! (used to live in Allston..)
    peace,
    gonzo
    4/10/94, 9/28/96, 9/29/96, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/01/04, 9/15/05, 9/30/05, 10/01/05, 5/4/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/31/09, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/15/13, 10/18/13, 10/19/13, 10/25/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 5/1/16, 5/2/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 4/7/17, 8/8/18, 8/10/18, 9/10/22, 9/11/22
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Dru_Cortez wrote:
    "Pescatarian"?
    Cheers.

it has nothing to do with any sort of moral standards....fish just feels cleaner in my body. that's why i gravitate towards it over meat.

i'm also a sushi junkie.
    Fish is meat. Check your dictionary.

"Eating meat is instinct, not eating meat is a choice."
    #FHP
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    CJMST3K wrote:

Anyway - I'm rambling.

I have been vegetarian for 22 years. It began for ethics reasons, but then I learned about the environmental impact of meat eating, and I soon felt the health benefits. Now when people ask I cite three reasons for being a vegetarian 1) ethical, 2) environmental, and 3) health. I tell them I can think of no reason to eat meat.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Veggie for 26 years :thumbup:
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Gave up 13 years of vegetarianism about a year and a half ago and haven't looked back. I'm almost shocked at how many carbs I was eating back then, and I wondered why I was so tired all the time.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    the idea of beef has begun to repulse me......something about a food that takes your system a week to process is kinda fucked up.?

That's not true at all, takes just over a day at most. Technically speaking fiberous vegetables can take longer to pass through your system as the body can't actually digest fibre.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    i'd weigh 400 lbs. i'd eat waffles and pancakes all day. heavy on the butter and syrup. or as my 4 year old calls it, syriup.

I love waffles and pancakes. Strangely I do not like syrup. I like butter though. Maybe I don't like soggy waffles and pancakes.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13