I must admit that Backspacer is growing on me

YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Posts: 4,641
edited April 2010 in The Porch
When I went to Target 6 or so months ago and sat in the parking lot after making my purchase, I listened intently to the album. A couple of songs jumped out at me, but just a few. I listened to the album a few times more during that week and would occasionally put it on in my truck or CD player while biking, but not much. But I must admit, during the past month I'm starting to get into the whole album now. I don't know, maybe because I'm older and my reactions are slower? It's not Vs., Vitalogy or even Yield, but I'm starting to dig it. :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• thats how i am with most of the albums. my least favorite is always the most recent, and it turns into my favorite once the next one comes out. at least with binural to self titled. backspacer was a little different though - didnt take too many listens for most of the songs to grow on me. yeild is still my all time #1
  • When I went to Target 6 or so months ago and sat in the parking lot after making my purchase, I listened intently to the album. A couple of songs jumped out at me, but just a few. I listened to the album a few times more during that week and would occasionally put it on in my truck or CD player while biking, but not much. But I must admit, during the past month I'm starting to get into the whole album now. I don't know, maybe because I'm older and my reactions are slower? It's not Vs., Vitalogy or even Yield, but I'm starting to dig it. :D

Don't worry you'll start to hate the bulk of it soon. But while youre listening to it play Just Breathe backwards and it may not sound like a horrible song. I emphasise MAY because SOS somehow is just as bad no matter how you play it. :D
    Nothing but thanks for those willing to give of their soul to a stranger. And I hate to say it but The Who are overated.
  • cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    When I went to Target 6 or so months ago and sat in the parking lot after making my purchase, I listened intently to the album. A couple of songs jumped out at me, but just a few. I listened to the album a few times more during that week and would occasionally put it on in my truck or CD player while biking, but not much. But I must admit, during the past month I'm starting to get into the whole album now. I don't know, maybe because I'm older and my reactions are slower? It's not Vs., Vitalogy or even Yield, but I'm starting to dig it. :D
    Good :D
    Welcome to the club!

Yield is the best though...
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Here's my take on BS, It's like a cheeseburger compared to a three course steak dinner. When your hungry a cheeseburger is good it can even be great, exactly what you want at the time but compared to a three course steak dinner(ie- no code , yield) there's only one winner in my book.
  • cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    Here's my take on BS, It's like a cheeseburger compared to a three course steak dinner. When your hungry a cheeseburger is good it can even be great, exactly what you want at the time but compared to a three course steak dinner(ie- no code , yield) there's only one winner in my book.

What about a cheeseburger with bacon?

(bacon being the rumored EP.... :mrgreen: )
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • it strangely hasnt grown on me at all, unlike their other albums. the songs i like i've liked since the beginning, and the songs i hate ive hated since the beginning.

this album doesnt have the discovery factor like the others to me. it is what it is.
  • Drum Machine89Drum Machine89 Posts: 2,157
    Here's my take on BS, It's like a cheeseburger compared to a three course steak dinner. When your hungry a cheeseburger is good it can even be great, exactly what you want at the time but compared to a three course steak dinner(ie- no code , yield) there's only one winner in my book.

What about a cheeseburger with bacon?

(bacon being the rumored EP.... :mrgreen: )

;) :P
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    I was listening to Backspacer in the car this morning and I still really like it.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Great album.
    Can't wait for the shows in May.
  • ActionJackActionJack Posts: 137
    MrSmith wrote:
    it strangely hasnt grown on me at all, unlike their other albums. the songs i like i've liked since the beginning, and the songs i hate ive hated since the beginning.

this album doesnt have the discovery factor like the others to me. it is what it is.
    that is exactly how i feel about it... i really like riot act and it seems there are alot of people who hate it so to each his own i guess

I enjoy skinny-skiing, going to bullfights on acid...

• iamloco724iamloco724 Posts: 1,441
    why do so many people dislike this album or not like it that much..just curious what is it about it
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,049
    Its been 6 months and I still listen to Backspacer (minus SOS usually) at least ONCE A DAY. Than again when Tool's Lateralus came out, I listened to that album every day for 18 months. I love my long commutes!
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    MrSmith wrote:
    it strangely hasnt grown on me at all, unlike their other albums. the songs i like i've liked since the beginning, and the songs i hate ive hated since the beginning.

Right, I think I like two songs I heard when it first came out. I'll take any song from it live instead of Last Kiss tho! 8-)
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • I hated Avocado when it was first released, but over the months and years it's climbed up the charts. I thought Backspacer was pretty good when I first listened, but over time it has plummeted to the bottom of the pile.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    iamloco724 wrote:
    why do so many people dislike this album or not like it that much..just curious what is it about it
    'Cause it's a bacon-free cheeseburger!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    iamloco724 wrote:

For me, personally, it just doesn't have the depth the other albums have. When Ed was pissed off, he wrote some deep, heavy, lyrics that really made you stop and think. I don't feel challenged by the Backspacer lyrics at all (I remember reading somewhere before Backspacer came out that Ed admitted he didn't spend as long on the lyrics this time around due to hanging out with his family. Can't blame him for that at all - if I was in his position I'd do the same thing. But at the end of the day, the end result is still lyrics that I don't love). Also, musically, I'm not a fan of the cleaner, poppier sound - I like my PJ pissed off with a little dirt under the fingernails. I really don't like the country vibe on the slower songs - I love Into The Wild, but for some reason, when it's the full band playing the folksy songs, it takes something away (see: Speed of Sound demo vs the album version of the same song). I'd rather listen to Aye Davanita than Just Breathe. I love me a healthy dose of Mike McCready and his kick-ass solos. I like the longer songs that they can Jam out on over a bunch of shorter songs that are over in under three minutes. I don't know - to me, personally (and that's all this is, simply my opinion), it just doesn't have any real depth to it. I like the cheeseburger vs the steak analogy... that sums it up nicely for me. I tried to like the album - I listened to it a freaking ton when I bought it. But it just never clicked for me.

That being said, there are plenty of people who love the album, and that's cool. Don't hate me for enjoying Jeremy more than Supersonic and I won't hate you for liking The End more than Come Back. At the end of the day we still love the same band :D
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • otterotter Posts: 760
    Back Spacer is a great album.

I think it is so perfect. 4 great rockers right off the bat...bam bam bam bam!!!! then a little more depth. Then Blamo a great old time surf punk shot!

Pearl Jam is the best band in the world. I feel very fortunate to be a fan. That sounds strange but how lucky are we to be fans of a band that continues to work so hard to give us awesome music?!?!?!?!

I was at the Show Box in 02 when Ed said "thank you" and we all started chanting "thank you...thank you" It was a wonderful moment. The guys seemed guenuinely touched, I always thought that is why they released that dvd. That and the War tag.

Backspacer is a great great album. If you think you don't like it you are wrong. I think it's just that we all love the old songs so in a way we want the new ones to be the old ones. But when the new ones become the old ones we appreciate them more.

This is going to be a great concert!! Hearing these new ones live is gonna be great!!!

Here's another cool thing about Pearl Jam. Once the new cd comes out the old cd doesn't get played as much at the new tour so that makes each show very unique. Think about all the shows you've seen. That show will never be duplicated!!

I love Pearl Jam and once again....THANK YOU!! :D
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • otter wrote:

I think it is so perfect. 4 great rockers right off the bat...bam bam bam bam!!!! then a little more depth. Then Blamo a great old time surf punk shot!

Pearl Jam is the best band in the world. I feel very fortunate to be a fan. That sounds strange but how lucky are we to be fans of a band that continues to work so hard to give us awesome music?!?!?!?!

I was at the Show Box in 02 when Ed said "thank you" and we all started chanting "thank you...thank you" It was a wonderful moment. The guys seemed guenuinely touched, I always thought that is why they released that dvd. That and the War tag.

Backspacer is a great great album. If you think you don't like it you are wrong. I think it's just that we all love the old songs so in a way we want the new ones to be the old ones. But when the new ones become the old ones we appreciate them more.

This is going to be a great concert!! Hearing these new ones live is gonna be great!!!

Here's another cool thing about Pearl Jam. Once the new cd comes out the old cd doesn't get played as much at the new tour so that makes each show very unique. Think about all the shows you've seen. That show will never be duplicated!!

other then the not liking/you are wrong part, this is a great post. I think sometimes we forget how lucky we have it that we have found or have a band that we love so much and makes our downtime so much fun.
    otter wrote:

other then the not liking/you are wrong part, this is a great post. I think sometimes we forget how lucky we have it that we have found or have a band that we love so much and makes our downtime so much fun.

What I meant was that you think that you don't like it but you do. I think people are listening for the imposible. They subconsiously (sic) expect to hear rearviewmirror and when Got Some is playing their mind is wanting "pearl jam". But in a way if it's new it's not "pearl jam" to their subconsious.

You know?
    Damn I can't spell. :oops:
  • otter wrote:
    otter wrote:

What I meant was that you think that you don't like it but you do. I think people are listening for the imposible. They subconsiously (sic) expect to hear rearviewmirror and when Got Some is playing their mind is wanting "pearl jam". But in a way if it's new it's not "pearl jam" to their subconsious.

You know?

i hear ya. How many shows you seeing?
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I loved it from the minute I heard it, and I still do.

I for one am glad it sounds so different.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    Just one. :cry:
    I couldn't work any others out. I would have been able to go to Buffalo but Sunday - Monday was immposible. If there was a day off inbetween I could have worked it.
    I can't believe they are not comming to the burgh! That shocked me. :o
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    it grabbed me from the get go and hasn't let go :D
  • ponner1usponner1us Posts: 738

+1
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    I love all PJ's albums including this one. I'm still listening to certain songs from it. I never love every song from every album and it's the same with this one but PJ has more hits than misses than any other artist(s) I know. I love the tight, crisp feel the record has to it. Great balance of rockers, mid-tempo and slower numbers.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • grizahamgrizaham Posts: 338
    Pearl Jam rules.
    I LOVED backspacer the second i listened to it.
    37 days til JazzFest!!
    Seen PJ 21 times live from 1994-2019

• JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    FY51755 wrote:
    Its been 6 months and I still listen to Backspacer (minus SOS usually) at least ONCE A DAY. Than again when Tool's Lateralus came out, I listened to that album every day for 18 months. I love my long commutes!

haha, people never understand why I love my long commute. :D ...you get it though.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Here is another super cool thing about Pearl Jam

When you listen to Backspacer you are hearing 5 guys jamming. The conanan show is a perfect example. These guys simply play the songs that they wrote!
  • inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    I think Backspacer is the best CD PJ ever released followed closely by Yield and Ten. What I like about it is simple:

-it's ridiculously eclectic (punk song here, pop song here, folk song here, ten-style song here... ect)
    -despite the different styles in each song, they flow well
    -the lyrics are uplifting, rather than depressing
    -Ed's voice sounds good
    -there are NO throw-aways
    -it's not political; instead the lyrics are largely introspective
    -I think this is the first album Matt actually added too, rather than subtracted from
    -the production is excellent
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="