The Unemployed and cant find a job thread

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
anyone else having trouble here? 5 or 6 months looking for a job. no luck. frustrating.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Can't find a job either. And I'm in college! Unemployed college student. That's a great combination.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • how about a college graduate without a job, i got ya beat! so depressing getting told i dont have the experience to get even a menial job. looked online and in the paper for 6 months now. almost every job starts: "must have experience of 1 year of _____ insert job skill). and invariably i dont have that. the old maddening thing that drives me absolutely up the wall. i dont have experience. yet i cant get a job. only way to get experience is through getting a job. such a vicious cycle. I am sick to death of it. But, i know there are people worse off than me though. I dont have a house mortgage or car payments. i am not married and dont have kids. the people that fit that profile and cant find jobs, that would be rough
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    how about a college graduate without a job, i got ya beat! so depressing getting told i dont have the experience to get even a menial job. looked online and in the paper for 6 months now. almost every job starts: "must have experience of 1 year of _____ insert job skill). and invariably i dont have that. the old maddening thing that drives me absolutely up the wall. i dont have experience. yet i cant get a job. only way to get experience is through getting a job. such a vicious cycle. I am sick to death of it. But, i know there are people worse off than me though. I dont have a house mortgage or car payments. i am not married and dont have kids. the people that fit that profile and cant find jobs, that would be rough

thats two of us my friend . feel like my degree is just paper . and a waste of money big time . :oops: :oops:
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    how about a college graduate without a job, i got ya beat! so depressing getting told i dont have the experience to get even a menial job. looked online and in the paper for 6 months now. almost every job starts: "must have experience of 1 year of _____ insert job skill). and invariably i dont have that. the old maddening thing that drives me absolutely up the wall. i dont have experience. yet i cant get a job. only way to get experience is through getting a job. such a vicious cycle. I am sick to death of it. But, i know there are people worse off than me though. I dont have a house mortgage or car payments. i am not married and dont have kids. the people that fit that profile and cant find jobs, that would be rough

You're right...you got me on that one! I go during my free time and apply to places. "We're not hiring right now, but we'll keep the application stored in file."
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,475
    What did you guys major in??

What career did you have in mind, when you graduated from college?

Just curious...
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    Need some experience? Two words for you guys : Vandelay Industries. Google it and learn from George.
  • What did you guys major in??

What career did you have in mind, when you graduated from college?

Just curious...

i majored in sociology, and I had no idea and still have no idea what job i have in mind. sociology majors tend to go into teaching or counseling careers. i am volunteering at a preschool right now, but who knows if its something i want to spend the rest of my life doing. Its fine for now.

whats funny is i specifically pursued sociology as a major because of its inherent political slant. sociology majors are often times activists, I was one of them. Yet, by graduation i sort of had a breakdown of sorts and just had had enough of activism. I am not an activist right now, i dont even read the paper. I am glad I majored in sociology. Those classes helped form my political and life ideals and ideas and opinions, but its funny, how different I am now.

I also have spent literally every minute since graduation trying to figure out, my calling, my purpose, whatever. For the majority of that time i have felt unbelieveably lost and confused. no direction. Recently I have felt some relief, i feel better, I dont feel as lost. but still sometimes those old feelings of being a lost and confused 26 year old resurface. my twenties have been oh so fun. sarcasm should be read in that.
  • jokertt wrote:

thats two of us my friend . feel like my degree is just paper . and a waste of money big time . :oops: :oops:

yeah its pretty disconcerting and heartbreaking actually. i actually was a studier. i worked extremely hard. i was a student in every sense of the word, not just in college, but my entire school career. and to have it be like it is right now, its sad. i recently heard that college degrees are by and large meaningless in alot of ways. that to really seperate onesself from the rest of applicants for your post college career you need a masters.
    jokertt wrote:

yeah its pretty disconcerting and heartbreaking actually. i actually was a studier. i worked extremely hard. i was a student in every sense of the word, not just in college, but my entire school career. and to have it be like it is right now, its sad. i recently heard that college degrees are by and large meaningless in alot of ways. that to really seperate onesself from the rest of applicants for your post college career you need a masters.
    So, why not go for your masters?
  • .[/quote]So, why not go for your masters?[/quote]

alot of reasons. One is, would a masters in sociology really make a difference? and if not, what other path, other career path do I want to choose? Another is i am not the same person i was. my entire school career, was about studying. I never was great at tests, never cracked that code, but i put the work in, did my homework, went to class, studied, studied and uhh... studied. my grades reflected this. i always was loved by my teachers. i always did well in school. But by my last term of college, i had that breakdown i mentioned, which was one of the most painful and most important times of my life. By the last term I started, doing things that i had literally never done in my life. In the past, I would always do homework no matter what, didnt matter if my favorite tv show was on, or a good concert was going on. If I had a project, I needed to do it. So, by the end there, I started to feel a desire to skip class. I felt a desire to not study. In the past, i may not have wanted to study for a math exam but I did it nonetheless. I remember clearly final term, big exam coming up, make or break my grade, and i just couldnt get myself to study. I attended class religiously, my entire school career. I never skipped one class, ever. But by my last term, i would be attending class, sitting in lecture, and not understanding a word. What good or what use was any of this I started to think?

Most painful time of my life. But also the most important. This was my body telling me life isnt found in some dusty book, in some windowless classroom, it isnt found in rigorous studying. Life needs to lived fully. As ed would say, "i dont wanna think I wanna feel". I lived that line, literally.

i had a huge exam in a science class, i was never good in science. additionally it was an oral one, and I have always had a fear of public speaking. I had to give a speech to the class. I went into the class, having spent probably 5 minutes on my speech and my report. I literally was flying by the seat of my pants. One of the most exilerating moments of my life. And I lived to tell about it. I survived. I passed the class, and from what I could tell, no one could tell, that I wasnt prepared.

So to answer your question, i have flipped the other way. Now I dont know if I could convince myself to study, to force myself or dicipline myself to study. So going to school would be hard in that manner. i would be running blind so to speak.
  • BlackThirteenBlackThirteen Posts: 423
    edited March 2010

I know the feeling. I graduated from college over a year ago it'll be 2 years come this May. And I still haven't gotten a single job meaning I've just been freeloading. I've been very cheap with my savings from working during high school and I've been surviving. But that's running really low now. I even interned for 6 months during college but apparently that isn't enough. It's almost always 1 year, which drives me insane. Oh well I'm sure we'll find something eventually...I've been telling myself that for over a year so...
    Post edited by BlackThirteen on
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    sociology major (bachelors) here. no job for over a year after graduation. interned at umb for a summer basically doing office work. then landed a temp position from a staffing company doing similar type office work and now field work. that temp position turned into a permanent position at johns hopkins.

if you'd have asked me how i thought things would pan out in 2008, the above would not be it. who'd have thunk? just don't close any doors.
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    I've been unemployed for over 9 months now. It's been tough as I am a single mom with 2 kids. I get zero financial (or any other kind of) support from their dad. We lost our health insurance when I lost my job and my youngest son and I both have some pretty serious medical conditions. He has a completely rebuilt heart and I am a type 1 diabetic and have rhuematoid arthritis. Life is really tough these days. I really hope things look up soon.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Doesn't seem like Sociology gets one anywhere! Degrees are overrated and just don't mean what they used to. A lot of people get degrees for the sake of them, studying what they fancy as opposed to getting a degree related to a job.

Learn a trade.. plumber, electrician, etc. There's always demand for those and also a lot of money to be earned!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I had a job all through out college and it got me another job that had nothing to do with my major.. that's how it's done.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    redrock wrote:
    Doesn't seem like Sociology gets one anywhere! Degrees are overrated and just don't mean what they used to. A lot of people get degrees for the sake of them, studying what they fancy as opposed to getting a degree related to a job.

Learn a trade.. plumber, electrician, etc. There's always demand for those and also a lot of money to be earned!
    No, degrees are good, and work experience better.. have work experience and a degree and you're good.

I know too many people that just went to college and didn't work too who are shit out of luck.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    No, degrees are good, and work experience better.. have work experience and a degree and you're good.

I know too many people that just went to college and didn't work too who are shit out of luck.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that degrees do not have the same value as they used to to employers. Employers WILL look at more experience as degrees are devalued. This doesn't have to be high flying experience. Even a job stacking shelves at a supermarket can demonstrate all kinds of things to a prospective employer (assuming you did it well!).

Young people assume that once you leave high school/secondary education, you go on to University studying for a degree for the sake of it - natural progression of your student life (and there are some pretty stupid degree subjects around!). 'Back in the days' degrees were relevant to the profession you were going to enter. When I worked in HR for a major management consultancy, I had young people with say, a history degree, applying for consultant positions in the computing field. And they were surprised they didn't get the job... ('But I've got a degree!').
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    still out of work hey? hope you find something soon, but it kind of makes that decision to quit to go to seattle, seem like a really bad idea now
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    redrock wrote:

My dad always told me that growing up... but I didn't listen, and at 35 years old, things have worked out pretty good for me so far with the college path that I took.

But, I have friends who are in the trades, and there has got to be something comforting to know that you will always have work in your field. I also know some older guys at the building I work at (mostly union electricians), who are so fucking lazy and make more than I do.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    still out of work hey? hope you find something soon, but it kind of makes that decision to quit to go to seattle, seem like a really bad idea now
    We all make silly decisions, its part of the growing up process. What I find interesting, is how those silly decisions you make when you are younger, can come back and haunt you, for years. Stupid decisions that one makes at the age of 25, can still be kicking you in the ass at the age of 35.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

yeah...should have at least gone to philly. :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    do they have co-op programs in the states? ... when i went to university - i was enrolled in a co-op program where i would goto school for 4 months then work for 4 ... the school arranged the employment opportunities and it paid a good salary ... enuf to pay for your next term of school ...
  • is the OP the person who quit the job to see the band in Seattle? I remember that thread.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    edited March 2010
    I had a job all through out college and it got me another job that had nothing to do with my major.. that's how it's done.

I couldn't find anything after college. My double major was history and anthropology. I wasn't going to find anything except a teaching job, which I didn't want to do. I ended up taking a telephone sales job that I hated. Sometimes you just have to bite it and do something you hate. But I had friends who got other jobs with other companies. Eventually, one got me a job at his place where I made new friends. Eventually one of those new friends got me hired when he moved on somewhere. And so on.

That's how it works too! I'm in IT now. Its a great job and has nothing to do with my major.
    Post edited by Flagg on
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    redrock wrote:

My dad always told me that growing up... but I didn't listen, and at 35 years old, things have worked out pretty good for me so far with the college path that I took.

But, I have friends who are in the trades, and there has got to be something comforting to know that you will always have work in your field. I also know some older guys at the building I work at (mostly union electricians), who are so fucking lazy and make more than I do.

I like what I do, but sometimes wish I had gone that route. The successful ones make extremely good livings. My dad is a mechanic and has owned his own business for over 40 years. He was always like, "Learn a trade, they can't outsource plumbing overseas."
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Lots and Lots of tradesmen out of work these days.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    redrock wrote:

If you consider going into a trade, the important thing is to find out EXACTLY what you need to do to qualify for that kind of work. I used to work as a vocational counselor and many, many people decide to go to trade schools so they can learn a new career only to find out that that's not what it takes! Trade schools or proprietary schools have come under fire recently because they exaggerate the success rates of their grads. People take on enormous debt to become a medical office manager, chef, auto mechanic, etc., only to find that no one will hire them. It's become even worse during this recession, with lots of people going back to school thinking they will learn new job skills. If you watch tv during the day, the commercials are all over the place. "Get a degree in just 3 years!" Only you find out that it isn't a degree that's recognized by other colleges and universities and your credits won't transfer if you change schools.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."

True. When the economy goes bad, the first thing people do is stop spending on their houses, cars, etc. At least that is what I have seen around here. Everyone stopped hiring contractors and just started doing things themselves.

Like me and my damn back door. LOL.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • yellowporchyellowporch Posts: 510

+1... I am currently in college, but stayed local so I could continue with the job I've had since high school, I work in a florist shop for a grocery store, so by the time I'm finished with college and if all else fails, I could go full time and become a floral manager..

working up the corporate ladder never hurts, start small somewhere if thats all that is available.
    Flagg wrote:

True. When the economy goes bad, the first thing people do is stop spending on their houses, cars, etc. At least that is what I have seen around here. Everyone stopped hiring contractors and just started doing things themselves.

Like me and my damn back door. LOL.
    But now, after your adventure with the back door...

Would someone PAY you, to install their backdoor?? Because if they would.

It was a great learning experience...

Because now, you are a professional door installer!!!!